Is "You only hate the game because it's different!" a valid accusation?

#1wiiking96Posted 1/23/2013 2:12:05 PM
I've heard this a thousand times with Nintendo games. Some people seem to think that people who hate a follow-up game that changes a lot only hate it because it makes changes. Is this valid? What do you think?

I, for one, think it's just a pathetic and ignorant defense made by fan boys that can't handle criticism of their favorite games. While it's true that a game being different from its predecessors is a common reason for a game to be disliked, the accusers ignore one key thing: what is changed from the predecessors. This is important. If a sequel, for example, doesn't have an important factor that made the first game so likeable, then it partially failed at being a sequel.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#240DribylfPosted 1/23/2013 2:13:38 PM
Yeah, it being different doesn't mean it's auto-good. It can be good, it can be bad.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#3arvilinoPosted 1/23/2013 2:14:18 PM
Let me guess, it's about Paper Mario Sticker Star?
#4wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 2:16:37 PM
arvilino posted...

And Skyward Sword, and Metroid: Other M, and DKCR, and lots of other games that are treated similarly.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#5DemonDog666Posted 1/23/2013 2:18:52 PM(edited)
It's valid IF the game is about the same quality but shares few of the same gameplay features or adds a bunch of wildly different ones, but it's also valid for the person not to like it seeing how they totally changed a series they enjoyed to something they didn't.

The new Twisted Metal is really the only game I can think of where it's valid, despite the fact I never heard anyone say it about Twisted Metal.
#6_FalstaffPosted 1/23/2013 2:18:15 PM
I don't think it's always a valid accusation, but sometimes it is. I know it's a valid accusation some of the time, because when I was younger, I used to hold the same mentality about some games. I remember when Paper Mario first came out. My negative feelings toward it were based on the fact that it was different than anything I had seen before. If I thought this way, I know there are millions of others that have thought this way at some point in their life.

So no, it's not a "pathetic and ignorant defense." Sometimes it's true. Sometimes it's not true. Knowing which is the case is the difficult part, but can usually be sorted out through conversation.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#7CrystalKing5426Posted 1/23/2013 2:19:44 PM
wiiking96 posted...
arvilino posted...

And Skyward Sword, and Metroid: Other M, and DKCR, and lots of other games that are treated similarly.

Skyward Sword is fine, Other M is horrible for a slew of other reasons, and how is DKCR too different?
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Official Groudon of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#8GloryChaosPosted 1/23/2013 2:20:55 PM
Most of the time? No. At times it is a valid accusation. I have seen people complain things down to the placement of enemies in video games when talking about changes. There are people out there who will dislike change simply because something changed. That's where the argument comes from to begin with.

In your case? It's not a valid accusation because you have detailed your reasons for why you've disliked certain games before. I don't fully agree with you but your reasoning makes sense to me because you can say what you like and what you dislike about the games you play.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#9Poopcorn13Posted 1/23/2013 2:24:17 PM
DmC

Look, I've gotten over on how Dante looks but there other major problems that hold this game back as a tru-"NOSTAGLIA ***, GET OVER IT. THIS GAME IS GREAT 'CAUSE REVIEWS."
---
You am no real super sand. - Virginia
#102wingedangelPosted 1/23/2013 2:24:48 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
It's valid IF the game is about the same quality but shares few of the same gameplay features or adds a bunch of wildly different ones, but it's also valid for the person not to like it seeing how they totally changed a series they enjoyed to something they didn't.

The new Twisted Metal is really the only game I can think of where it's valid, despite the fact I never heard anyone say it about Twisted Metal.

Who would've thought we'd see DemonDog be semi-smart?
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
Black 2 FC: 4213-1800-0462