Nintendo Direct Proves Nintendo still doesn't Get It.

#91acrylick42Posted 1/23/2013 10:47:55 PM
ITT: I learned that Xenoblade Chronicles sold less than a million units.
---
Enchantment?
Enchantment!
#92GdboyratedloudPosted 1/23/2013 10:55:50 PM
The game is a gamestop exclusive in the US. Not only that, but a ton of haters are saying they have to buy a Wii U just for this game.

YOU CAN STAY THE FXXX MAD.

If you care so much do something about it
---
PSN: JamesDeanONdaLOW
little did I know, James Dean was actually on the down low.
#93Stider0Posted 1/23/2013 11:29:34 PM
I don't completely agree with what the TC has said, but some points are valid. Whether people like it or not, FPS are currently the biggest selling genre in gaming, mainly due to CoD, but also Halo, GoW etc. The main thing Nintendo need to do is get big 3rd party titles, exclusives really, onto the Wii U.

One of the problems I see is almost a "stigma" warning 3rd party developers against making exclusives for the Wii U due to the Wii, and possibly Gamecube, being rather poor in sales for the more 'hardcore' games. At the moment, with the Wii U being similar in performance to the PS3/360, is that we are seeing games being made for all 3 consoles(Aliens: Colonial Marine for one). My concern is for what happens when the Nextbox/PS4 are launched and what that does in regards to games being ported to the Wii U if the difference in specs is too large.

Now before I get flamed for my post I will say that I do own a Wii, actually I own all the current gen consoles except for the 3DS(region locking = bad for rpg lovers outside of US, damn you Atlus) and might get a Wii U when the new Monolith Soft game comes out, but Nintendo really need to hammer their advantage in being first out of the blocks home before the next-gen Sony and Microsoft consoles arrive. This means 3rd party titles to draw in more hardcore gamers to keep developers interested in the Wii U as it's the hardcore gamers that by most of the software. While the Wii was a success hardware wise, being a system that was/seemed aimed at the casual market has hurt Nintendo software wise.

Now we just have to wait and see.
#94usaamahlinkPosted 1/24/2013 12:16:31 AM
Stider0 posted...
I don't completely agree with what the TC has said, but some points are valid. Whether people like it or not, FPS are currently the biggest selling genre in gaming, mainly due to CoD, but also Halo, GoW etc. The main thing Nintendo need to do is get big 3rd party titles, exclusives really, onto the Wii U.

One of the problems I see is almost a "stigma" warning 3rd party developers against making exclusives for the Wii U due to the Wii, and possibly Gamecube, being rather poor in sales for the more 'hardcore' games. At the moment, with the Wii U being similar in performance to the PS3/360, is that we are seeing games being made for all 3 consoles(Aliens: Colonial Marine for one). My concern is for what happens when the Nextbox/PS4 are launched and what that does in regards to games being ported to the Wii U if the difference in specs is too large.

Now before I get flamed for my post I will say that I do own a Wii, actually I own all the current gen consoles except for the 3DS(region locking = bad for rpg lovers outside of US, damn you Atlus) and might get a Wii U when the new Monolith Soft game comes out, but Nintendo really need to hammer their advantage in being first out of the blocks home before the next-gen Sony and Microsoft consoles arrive. This means 3rd party titles to draw in more hardcore gamers to keep developers interested in the Wii U as it's the hardcore gamers that by most of the software. While the Wii was a success hardware wise, being a system that was/seemed aimed at the casual market has hurt Nintendo software wise.

I think your pretty on point with everything. The really frustrating thing is the negative feedback cycle.. They wont make games for it, because they think it wont have a big enough hardcore base, yet when they dont make games for it, they dont see the sales that would justify them making games for it, they dont make games for it so players start to lose interest in it, gamers losing interest in it means lower sales, and even more inhibition about publishing games on it. I mean from a 'hardcore' perspective. I really respect Ubisoft for (manning or man-ing up?) to it and just releasing games on Wii U. and EXCLUSIVES. Big applaud. I hope the big ones (Activision and EA can justify making games for it in a TIMELY fashion, so Wii U gamers dont need to play those games on an Xbox or PS, and then that other devs like Rockstar and Bethesda and Epic and Bioware start making games for Wii U. But we all know this wont happen. Maybe EA and Activision will continue to push out titles for Wii U, maybe only selected titles, maybe theyll delay all their Wii U titles, but the last part (the part most needed) wont happen at all, because of the impending new consoles. Sad reality.. Nintendo really seems to be expanding their portfolio though with high profile IPs being collaborated on, and numerous third party deals (and hopefully more to come) on exclusive games and development teams being bought / funded by Nintendo... It means more games for Wii U and ultimately more attraction and a bigger install base. Basically the more Nintendo runs their own console, the better their chances of getting those high profile third party games..

That new strategy however will be key to this, without the partnerships Nintendo would be stuck in the past, and it would become a bit staler, and they would have less offerings and more spread out... Really smart of them, but necessary in todays market. Heres to hoping they can expand upon that vision to even greater heights.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.
#95cvmckenziePosted 1/24/2013 12:18:10 AM
I like posts like this because it proves that trolls hate the wiiu for not being a 360. Which, oddly enough, is the reason most of us love our wiiu's.
---
Don't be that guy that's like those guys. It's in poor taste.
#96RainsweptPosted 1/24/2013 12:20:39 AM
Stider0 posted...

You are mostly correct with the one exception of

"One of the problems I see is almost a "stigma" warning 3rd party developers against making exclusives for the Wii U due to the Wii, and possibly Gamecube, being rather poor in sales for the more 'hardcore' games."

What is driving 3rd parties away isn't a "stigma". It's that 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles.

On the Wii with 97 million consoles out there 3rd party games sell like crap. Now the WiiU itself is selling like crap, it will be lucky to hit Gamecube numbers, third parties, like most gamers, want absolutely nothing to do with it.
#97Starwars4JPosted 1/24/2013 12:46:32 AM
ElGado posted...
I'm speaking facts and the d*mn truth.

Guys, how did you miss that the TC is a little kid? He censors "damn" for God's sake. Go easy on him. He'll never learn how to properly troll if you tear him up at such a tender young age.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#98FoppePosted 1/24/2013 12:53:36 AM
cvmckenzie posted...
I like posts like this because it proves that trolls hate the wiiu for not being a 360. Which, oddly enough, is the reason most of us love our wiiu's.

But...but... I bought a Xbox 360 because I wanted it to be a Snes, not a Xbox...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#99Starwars4JPosted 1/24/2013 12:57:12 AM
ElGado posted...
Newbius posted...
I'm sorry TC but this is an epic fail topic. there is no room for debate, its just a massive fail.

If it breaks 100 comments, it's a success.

Actually no. Let me teach you something about what trolls try to accomplish. They try to get people actually angry. They are not just trying to get responses. Anyone and everyone can get responses by saying anything. It's human nature to respond and interact. Trolls do not simply try to get responses to what they say, especially if most of those responses are mocking said troll. A good troll gets people angry without any way to deal with said anger. Do you understand a bit better?
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#100Electric_SonicPosted 1/24/2013 1:14:52 AM
Nintendo does need to add online multiplayer functionality to more games, that much is absolutely true. However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't also focus on making good single-player games, which is what most of the announcements yesterday were.

While I'm honestly not terribly fond of the decisions to re-release Wind Waker in HD (as beautiful as it looks, the game simply doesn't need a graphical update) and pass the yarn gimmick to Yoshi (seriously, that should've just been a new IP), those dumb choices were offset at least somewhat by SMT x FE and Monolith's game. Couple that with 3D Mario coming soon and the Wii U has a fair bit to look forward to.

But back to the online thing, admittedly, they've already made a major misstep by not having online multiplayer in some early titles (Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, etc.). But I'm hoping that trend won't continue for long. I'll at least wait to see what the quality of the online features in Mario Kart U and SSB4 look like before I give up on them entirely.
---
http://brawlinthefamily.com