why Monolith X is an MMO (and will be the best)

#11Draconilian(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 10:40:25 PM
robinhoek posted...
I will be pissed if they don't have local co-op but they have online co-op.

Most likely gamepad only, so probably not local Co-Op
Bugs me too DX
---
"The best, most perfectly tuned online game will always have one glaring flaw.
Anyone can play it." _ Dueric
#12TerotrousPosted 1/23/2013 10:43:09 PM
Draconilian posted...
Next, there's the mecha, if you look closely, you can see a scene with two mecha fighting each other. PvP? Perhaps.

I assume they're just fighting an enemy mech. This also happened in Xenogears, where the mechs are taken from.

Finally, and my biggest point. The title. It's clearly another Xeno game, but it's just called X. If it were a straight up Xenoblade 2, don't you think they would have announced it as such? Maybe it's more than a Xenoblade two, Xeno Online.

We don't know that "X" is actually the name of the game.

In any case, one thing I think may hint at it not being an MMO is the chain attack indicator. Chain attacks seem like they would only make much sense if you controlled every character, otherwise setting up the appropriate links is hard (to say nothing of the fact that this action stops time, which is usually not desirable in an MMO).
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#13Draconilian(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 10:45:55 PM
I'm ashamed to say I still haven't gotten to play Xenoblade yet. So I don't know how chain attacks work, but how hard would it be to make it work in a multiplayer sense? Could you make it so when one person on the team chooses chain then it sets up an indicator for the rest of the team to use it too? Or something?

And the time one is easy, just make everything you're in combat with unable to act.
---
#14EsracPosted 1/23/2013 10:48:08 PM
I doubt its an mmo. Probably just online co-op. Asking what they should do today doesnt mean mmo, because its scripted text for the trailer and Xenoblade had A LOT of side quests and quite a few areas to explore.

That said, Xenoblade would be a pretty solid starting point for a potential mmo. There are at least 4 races to play (Homs, Nopon, High Entia, Machina). Also, there are up to 7 different classes they could offer that could play similarly to the characters in Xenoblade. For example, Melia was a sort of Elementalist Mage, while Dunbar was a dodgy sword master/evasion tank, and Sharla was an Ether Gunner that focused on heals and buffs but had a few attacks. The first game already had a large focus on questing and world exploration.

Really, while I'd prefer limited online coop, I can see how the pieces for a decent mmo are there. Playing Xenoblade, I'd occasionally wish the game had some form of local or online coop. Would've been nice not to rely on the mediocre AI.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Esrac
#15Draconilian(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 10:52:05 PM
If it's just four player online co-op monster hunting... well, we already have that, it's called Monster Hunter.

Don't you guys have any hope of something incredible? If it winds up not really being an MMO like I want, I won't freak out, I'll still get it and play with my friends just the same. But how much cooler would it be if you could just exist with tons of others in this world rather than having little individual worlds for each player?
---
#16DarkFistsPosted 1/23/2013 10:53:23 PM
Draconilian posted...
If it's just four player online co-op monster hunting... well, we already have that, it's called Monster Hunter.

Don't you guys have any hope of something incredible? If it winds up not really being an MMO like I want, I won't freak out, I'll still get it and play with my friends just the same. But how much cooler would it be if you could just exist with tons of others in this world rather than having little individual worlds for each player?

I do hope that it's incredible, but honestly, an MMO would lower it's potential.
---
PSN=Gelthidor
#17Draconilian(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 10:56:24 PM
DarkFists posted...
Draconilian posted...

I do hope that it's incredible, but honestly, an MMO would lower it's potential.

How? I've always wanted a game that looks like Sword Art Online, this is definitely as close as we'll get.
From what I understand, Xenoblade was already extremely MMO like, and don't say MMOs can't do the story for whatever reason, yes they can. And if they can't, Monolith can make it work ^^
---
#18Stefan1277Posted 1/23/2013 10:58:33 PM
Can't be MMO. It'd require time and effort. People don't like that anymore.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#19PsyrenCallPosted 1/23/2013 10:59:06 PM
I would wager it's an online-offline hybrid of sorts, you're online while in the free roam sections,, but the multiplayer stops when in towns or story sections. As terrible as the plots of the previous monolith titles may have been, I can't see then completely abandoning traditional rpg design completely in favor of an mmo, especially with Nintendo in charge.
---
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!
#20DarthFloatyPosted 1/23/2013 10:59:26 PM
Draconilian posted...
I refuse to believe you guys read and thought about all that in such a short time =/

It's 100% fact that it's online multiplayer because of the chatbox.

Well you're wrong. I read about and considered every little thing you posted. And I said what I think. I personally doubt it's an MMO. Probably online co-op. There is a difference.