Is system patch necessary for wii mode?

#1TheOffspringFanPosted 1/24/2013 7:58:34 AM
I've had the wiiU for a month now but still haven't updated my system. I have to use neighbors wifi till ours is hooked up and I think connection is too far so my wiiu will do successful connection test but always fail system update.

I wanna buy a wiimote and a wii game but I read somewhere you need to update for wii mode? However wii mode shows on my wiiu channel list without update so what's up?

Thanks!
---
PSN ID: Valkyr83
Currently Playing: Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Uncharted
#2HungtotheoverPosted 1/24/2013 8:05:28 AM
Couldn't you just check? Then again that's common sense
---
I own you said the buyer.
#3TheOffspringFan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 8:14:31 AM
If I had a wii game and wiimote I would test

Obviously I don't I thought you would have figured that out

Why else would I be here asking? I wanna know before I go spend money on a wii game if I can't run it
---
#4TheOffspringFan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 8:15:41 AM
They said befor update wii mode is useless as it stretches wii games for 16:9 or something , I wanted confirmation
---
#5NerdstickPosted 1/24/2013 8:15:57 AM
I think the day-one patch fixed it, so probably if you've never patched it.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 1/24/2013 8:17:39 AM
When I bought mine, it wouldn't even go into Wii Mode without the update.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#7NiftyManZPosted 1/24/2013 8:21:54 AM
The patch unlocks wii mode and most online capabilities. Without it you cannot play them. If you are stuck on a wired connection, there are adapters for the Wii that work with the wiiu. They are fairly inexpensive.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#8TheOffspringFan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 8:25:59 AM
No. Our ISP hasn't even setup our service yet at all so no Internet

It's weird though, connection test works ok and all my other devices in house run off neighbors wifi but wiiu always fails update with error 105-4206
---