Reduced Wii U VC pricing only for transferred games?

#31darkjedilinkPosted 1/25/2013 3:11:10 PM
emayer posted...
To everyone saying that you shouldn't complain about the extra fee because you already have those games on your Wii U: it's still a raw deal, folks, especially compared to how game transfers were handled from the DSi to the 3DS. You have your DSiWare games right there on the main 3DS menu, and you can organize them however you want. They're just as easily accessible as any other 3DS game.

The Wii U's Wii Mode is the least convenient way Nintendo could've handled your Wii games besides not having a system transfer at all. All those games are completely secluded, and in order to access them, you have to go through a slow reboot process. And then, since they still limit your Wii Mode to 512 MB (despite the fact that the Wii U has a 32 GB hard drive), you have to go into the SD card menu. Another hoop to jump through. And then, I have to change my TV's resolution settings so that these Virtual Console games actually fit properly on my screen (they're still stretched, though). It's bollocks, folks! The extra $1.00 or $1.50 is a fee for the convenience that should have been built into the system.

It's Nintendo's fault you have a crappy TV?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#32emayerPosted 1/25/2013 3:55:12 PM
The TV is fine. It's Nintendo's fault that the Wii Mode doesn't have its own display settings.
#33darkjedilinkPosted 1/25/2013 4:03:16 PM
emayer posted...
The TV is fine. It's Nintendo's fault that the Wii Mode doesn't have its own display settings.

Considering I don't have that issue, I'm going with your TV being a pile of poopy.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#34emayerPosted 1/25/2013 6:24:15 PM
Well, I'm sure you have a lovely television set. Doesn't change the fact that display settings specifically for Wii Mode would solve a lot of people's problems. Don't be an apologist.
#35shampoowarriorPosted 1/25/2013 6:40:52 PM
hellbringher posted...
Dear God.
It's only transferred games because why would someone buy a Wii vc game if they want a Wii u Eshop game?
Down with the stupidness.

Because money already on the Wii Store is trapped there? If someone has $8 on the store right now, probably better to spend it and pay the $1.50 later than have it completely wasted on nothing and spend $8 more dollars in the future.

Really, that's the only good reason to buy anything off the Wii VC right now that I can think of, now that Nintendo has already announced their plans to screw everyone with Wii VC.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#36darkjedilinkPosted 1/25/2013 7:29:17 PM
emayer posted...
Well, I'm sure you have a lovely television set. Doesn't change the fact that display settings specifically for Wii Mode would solve a lot of people's problems. Don't be an apologist.

If it doesn't happen on every TV, then the ones having the problem have a problem with their TV. It's not being an "apologist." It's common sense.
---
#37emayerPosted 1/25/2013 8:24:01 PM
Common sense would be for Nintendo to design their console to be easily compatible with as many TVs as possible. There's no reason whatsoever for there to not be display settings in Wii Mode.
#38Waggy17Posted 1/25/2013 9:28:43 PM(edited)
I would not recommend anyone to buy games in Wii mode if you've already transferred games over to the Wii U:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/club_nintendo_accounts_cant_be_linked_to_the_wii_shop_on_wii_u

I'm not sure how the Wii U VC discount will work, but this makes me wary. Plus, don't potentially screw yourself out of Club Nintendo rewards.
---
[iQ]Waggy/Time2Pan[iQ] - 1814-6320-1343 || [PHX]Cinder - 3670-8922-4025 || PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://gephx.webs.com/ || http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#39JetPilotPosted 1/26/2013 7:32:52 AM(edited)
@darkjedilink

Apps update all the time to incorporate new features. For example, the new iOS added a feature called Passbook. I've had a dozen apps update to include that new feature. Same for the iPhone 5. That new phone features a bigger screen and higher resolution. Just about every app on my phone has updated (again, at no charge) to take advantage of those features. Just by your statement I can tell you don't have a smartphone which is why you have no idea how prevalent this is.

As far as Sony goes, if I purchase a PS1 game for example, it works on my PS3 and my PSP and my Vita. I don't have to pay extra for each additional device. I just transfer it to the device I want to play it on. The Vita incorporated multiple features (improved resolution, customizable controls, etc.) that can be applied to PS1 games and PSP games. No fees being charged over there. Again, if you owned more than just Nintendo hardware then this would be fairly obvious as well.

Sony and Apple just limit how many devices you can activate on your account at any one time. Buy a new piece of hardware? Deactivate the old and activate the new. No proprietary transfer service needed. No paying transfer fees for basic functionality. No police reports required to transfer content.

I also can't believe that people are trying to justify these fees by arguing that having the games display in the proper aspect ratio (as opposed to a stretched out mess that is Wii mode) is a new "feature". It's not a new feature. That's basic functionality. Then again, hardware fanboys say a lot of silly things.
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").
#40JetPilotPosted 1/26/2013 7:37:11 AM
darkjedilink posted...
It's not being an "apologist."

Merriam-Webster defines an apologist as "One who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something." That's exactly what you have been doing in this thread. So by definition, you have been acting as an apologist for Nintendo's policies.

If you're a fanboy apologist then fine. Just admit it. Don't say you're not when anyone reading this topic would find your assertion laughable.
---
PSN: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i").