Nintendo has to be planning a new Metroid game.

#1sejan12Posted 1/24/2013 6:33:58 PM
Since Nintendo Land was announced, I've had a feeling that Nintendo was using it to try to build familiarity with its IP. People are introduced to the ideas of each series before a retail game arrives. Each mini game showcases a different idea for the system, but also shows off a series. Any of these games could have easily starred Miis without losing anything at all, but Nintendo chose to show certain series for some reason. I have a hunch that they are testing the waters for future releases.

Think about it:
2D and 3D Mario games coming soon and Mario Chase
2 Zelda games coming out and Zelda Battle Quest

These two were given and were going to be released anyways.

However, these titles are probably unfamiliar to the average consumer and this serves as an
excellent way to introduce the ideas.

Pikmin 3 is coming out and it was included in Nintendo Land in a way that got the point across.
Luigi's Mansion is coming out for 3DS so they introduced it in Nintendo Land.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day.
There is a character connection between the Yoshi minigame and the Yoshi yarn game coming out.

Metroid is a damaged brand. Other M was a failure as far as what it should have been. People complained about virtually every aspect of the game. As such, people may be hesitant to buy another Metroid game after that release. It seems to me that Nintendo is trying to repair the brand. The Metroid minigame on Nintendo Land was proclaimed even in the game to be a hard core experience. The game play was that of a shooter. It even featured a pvp mode. Now, they are offering Super Metroid for 30 cents in May. It seems to me, that they are preparing the series for a new title that will be made to appeal to the "core" audience, and they are attempting to prepare for it with these releases.

If Nintendo Land is a roadmap for future releases, then think of what we can expect: A new Donkey Kong, a new F-Zero, the possibility of re-launching that Ninja series.

The only games that this would not apply to would be the Game and Watch (unless there is an obscure connection to Game and Wario) game and the Balloon Trip game.

Thoughts?
#2habsalltheway33Posted 1/24/2013 6:57:03 PM
I actually expect Retro's new game to be a different take on Metroid. I'm expecting them to totally go outside the box with it and I have a feeling that they will try to push it as an online experience....just so many things have been hinting towards that in my opinion.
#3CloudStrife630Posted 1/24/2013 6:58:56 PM
Retro Studios is doing Metroid, F-Zero and DKC4 this gen.

Book it ladies and gentlemen.
---
http://i.minus.com/iQk9WytB7nDc.gif
#4habsalltheway33Posted 1/24/2013 7:02:54 PM
CloudStrife630 posted...

That would be unreal....
#5CloudStrife630Posted 1/24/2013 7:07:33 PM
habsalltheway33 posted...
CloudStrife630 posted...

That would be unreal....

I know Camelot mentioned doing a sequel to DK64 which I think would relieve RS from doing a new DK game.

I can see Retro doing a new Metroid and F-Zero for the Wii U while they make a new DK game for the 3DS.
---
http://i.minus.com/iQk9WytB7nDc.gif
#6trenkenPosted 1/24/2013 7:13:12 PM
Metroid isnt really a hot seller. MP3 only sold about 1.5 mil on the Wii worldwide. Halo for example triples that in preorders alone.

Metroid I think is just a side thing for them, for their long time fans. It's not really a huge priority. If these games were selling like Mario and Zelda we would see more of them.

Think about how much time and money is required to make a really great Metroid game. And if the result of that is going to be 1.5 mil total, its easy to understand why it isnt a huge priority for them. They only have so many people to make games and Nintendo like any other company runs on a budget.

They were in nasty financial shape for a long time and I think they still are. Recently they were in their worst shape since the 80s because the Wii wasnt selling anymore, they were developing the U, the 3DS wasnt selling very well either.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#7habsalltheway33Posted 1/24/2013 7:17:01 PM
Who knows really! Retro has been fairly quiet for a long time and I think it's a fair guess to say that they have been working on their project/projects for a long time as well.

I have a feeling Retro will shock the gaming world with their new game/games at E3 and have it available before the end of this year. It would make sense in my opinion. I think that is how Nintendo may be planning on going head on with the competition. We'll see.
#8HungoverHero777Posted 1/24/2013 7:20:36 PM
Tbh, I noticed this too. Will give you credit if this happens, TC.
---
My ideas for Crash Bandicoot Returns: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64976858
Official "Co-Pun-isher" of the C2 board.
#9trenkenPosted 1/24/2013 7:20:39 PM
Who knows really! Retro has been fairly quiet for a long time and I think it's a fair guess to say that they have been working on their project/projects for a long time as well.

I have a feeling Retro will shock the gaming world with their new game/games at E3 and have it available before the end of this year. It would make sense in my opinion. I think that is how Nintendo may be planning on going head on with the competition. We'll see.

Retro said something recently about them working on something everyone wants them to work on. I remember that correctly, right?

Well, the only thing they are truly known for is Metroid Prime, not Donkey Kong, so this tells me they could be working on a Metroid game.

Something that I think would be very interesting is a Prime version of Super Metroid. For some reason I think a lot of people would want that.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#10habsalltheway33Posted 1/24/2013 7:26:51 PM
trenken posted...

Retro said something recently about them working on something everyone wants them to work on. I remember that correctly, right?

Well, the only thing they are truly known for is Metroid Prime, not Donkey Kong, so this tells me they could be working on a Metroid game.

Something that I think would be very interesting is a Prime version of Super Metroid. For some reason I think a lot of people would want that.

That would be great actually. What if they just totally remade the whole series and then continued on from Fusion?? I doubt it would ever happen but it would definitely allow for more gamers to get into the arc of the storyline; feels like Metroid is all over the place. Perhaps what I'm aiming for here is a total reboot...