I wish it only cost me $1 to convert my DVDs to Blue-Rays

#131metroid00700Posted 1/26/2013 1:08:04 PM
darkjedilink posted...

No, you cannot. If you could, the people who made them would just make that the default, and not give you a need to modify anything.

They can't make defaults for the user because different computers require different configurations and file paths. Most of the time, however, they can emulate perfectly right away, but you would usually want to configure the graphics plugin and configure your controller. What you say simply isn't true, other than Pokemon Snap, I have one config to run every NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/SMS/GB/C/A game and they all perform better than Nintendo's counterparts. Also, I used to roll with ZSNES, and never had to tinker with any game after my initial setup to make them run full speed.
---
Intel Core i7-3610QM/2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT/12GB DDR3 RAM
SEGA Dreamcast: THE Best Gaming System since 9/9/99
#132sonic777Posted 1/26/2013 1:11:16 PM(edited)
Once again, the Wii U board's insane zealots show just how hypocritical they are.

IGN writes an article that is even somewhat critical of Nintendo?

LOL CAN'T SPELL IGNORANT WITHOUT IGN!!!!

IGN writes an article that praises a decision made by Nintendo?

LOL CIRCLE JERK!!!
#133darkjedilinkPosted 1/26/2013 1:18:33 PM
metroid00700 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

No, you cannot. If you could, the people who made them would just make that the default, and not give you a need to modify anything.

They can't make defaults for the user because different computers require different configurations and file paths. Most of the time, however, they can emulate perfectly right away, but you would usually want to configure the graphics plugin and configure your controller. What you say simply isn't true, other than Pokemon Snap, I have one config to run every NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/SMS/GB/C/A game and they all perform better than Nintendo's counterparts. Also, I used to roll with ZSNES, and never had to tinker with any game after my initial setup to make them run full speed.

Every emulator takes advantage of DX9. That means, they all can take advantage of the myriad hardware configurations the same way. A default setting should be a hell of a lot easier to do on a PC emulator that runs every game flawlessly (that currently isn't possible on any of the emulators listed there - the programmers even admit such (perhaps you should peruse the websites for those emulators...)) than getting Wii VC to work on Wii U by just an OS function call.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#134excitebike64Posted 1/26/2013 1:19:12 PM
rockymin posted...
excitebike64 posted...

I don't think that is what he meant. And in the case of DK64, as someone else mentioned... it has a mini-game necessary to play to advance in the game. That mini-game was a Rare game. You'd think they could just take it out, but beats me.

No, Rare themselves stated that wasn't an issue and were themselves wondering why DK64 wasn't up on the VC yet.

I was just clarifying the point that DK was not being used as the example, Conker was. In terms of DK64, I admit, I had no idea one way or the other. Perhaps its spite. Or perhaps its because the style was different enough that Nintendo didn't like it as much as the wanted us to believe in the beginning.

For a game that promoted that ram expansion, it just never seemed to age well like other games.

I never keep track of all these details since I keep the hardcopies. I'm crazy enough, I buy hardcopies near the triple digits sometimes. DL do not change my mind very often, unless it's DL only.
#135metroid00700Posted 1/26/2013 1:26:43 PM
darkjedilink posted...
metroid00700 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Every emulator takes advantage of DX9. That means, they all can take advantage of the myriad hardware configurations the same way. A default setting should be a hell of a lot easier to do on a PC emulator that runs every game flawlessly (that currently isn't possible on any of the emulators listed there - the programmers even admit such (perhaps you should peruse the websites for those emulators...)) than getting Wii VC to work on Wii U by just an OS function call.

For PJ64 you are most likely correct (I haven't had any issues yet, but I've only played 20 games), but the rest run the games fine, at full speed, with no issues at all. The configs are can also be personal preference, some people like to run games in their native resolution and others like to upscale them. Also there's no way DX9 could make a single control config to please every controller and user out there. None of the other emulators have websites with programmers admitting comparability that I can find. But again, the defaults are fine for almost everything, specifically NES, SNES, and Genesis. Regardless, I don't see your point. You said "Wii U VC is superior in every way." and I replied with "PC Emulation does it better." Configs were never really a part of the debate outside of whether or not its possible to make a "one size fits all" setup, which is certainly possible.
---
#136darkjedilinkPosted 1/26/2013 1:35:06 PM
metroid00700 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
metroid00700 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

For PJ64 you are most likely correct (I haven't had any issues yet, but I've only played 20 games), but the rest run the games fine, at full speed, with no issues at all. The configs are can also be personal preference, some people like to run games in their native resolution and others like to upscale them. Also there's no way DX9 could make a single control config to please every controller and user out there. None of the other emulators have websites with programmers admitting comparability that I can find. But again, the defaults are fine for almost everything, specifically NES, SNES, and Genesis. Regardless, I don't see your point. You said "Wii U VC is superior in every way." and I replied with "PC Emulation does it better." Configs were never really a part of the debate outside of whether or not its possible to make a "one size fits all" setup, which is certainly possible.

Yes, it's possible to make a "one-size-fits-all" emulator. I never argued that it wasn't. However, it IS impossible to make one that offers absolutely one-hundred-percent perfect emulation of every game with zero bugs AND no customization for particular games. EVEN THE EMULATOR MANUFACTURERS ADMIT THIS.

Hell, Project64 has a list of every game that will work with their emulator, which ones are absolutely broken, and which ones fall somewhere in between. BSNES - widely considered the best SNES emulator in existence, has pretty high CPU requirements for decent emulation AND THE GUY WHO MADE IT ADMITTED AS RECENTLY AS LAST YEAR IT ISN'T PERFECT.

Nintendo wants as close to perfect emulation as perfectly possible, even at the cost of making the games better. The ONLY way to do this is custom emulation per-game. However, the biggest limitation of this is that Wii VC games can NOT work on the Wii U outside of a Wii imitation, which means no GamePad functionality.

They told us this months ago.

If you want the GamePad functionality, you have to pay for it. There's no way around this fact. Discussing the way other emulators work doesn't change it (or even help the case, since every other emulator in existence has its own shortcomings).
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#137metroid00700Posted 1/26/2013 1:49:54 PM
darkjedilink posted...

Yes, it's possible to make a "one-size-fits-all" emulator. I never argued that it wasn't. However, it IS impossible to make one that offers absolutely one-hundred-percent perfect emulation of every game with zero bugs AND no customization for particular games. EVEN THE EMULATOR MANUFACTURERS ADMIT THIS.

Hell, Project64 has a list of every game that will work with their emulator, which ones are absolutely broken, and which ones fall somewhere in between. BSNES - widely considered the best SNES emulator in existence, has pretty high CPU requirements for decent emulation AND THE GUY WHO MADE IT ADMITTED AS RECENTLY AS LAST YEAR IT ISN'T PERFECT.

Nintendo wants as close to perfect emulation as perfectly possible, even at the cost of making the games better. The ONLY way to do this is custom emulation per-game. However, the biggest limitation of this is that Wii VC games can NOT work on the Wii U outside of a Wii imitation, which means no GamePad functionality.

They told us this months ago.

If you want the GamePad functionality, you have to pay for it. There's no way around this fact. Discussing the way other emulators work doesn't change it (or even help the case, since every other emulator in existence has its own shortcomings).

True enough, but outside of PJ64, the emulators I listed do the job better than what Nintendo provides, and are free, one size fits all. I don't give a **** if Nintendo custom emulates each game (which I doubt they do now with NES/SNES since the grunt work should be done), the fact remains they can't run the games (outside of N64, even if PJ64 1.7 (I believe you keep referring to 1.6) has way more options) as well as PC emulators. Hell, Nintendo can't even do NES or C64 games right http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console#Criticism . I also love how Iwata on Iwata Asks backpedaled on his original statement saying the Gamepad isn't a fit for Super Mario Bros.
---
#138TechniMyokoPosted 1/26/2013 2:02:47 PM
That's not the same. It'd be more like being charged $1 to use the DVD upscaling on a bluray player
#139sonic777Posted 1/26/2013 2:11:29 PM
IF I TYPE MY POINTS IN ALL CAPS TOO!!!!!!!

Can I sound as ridiculous as darkjedilink? OR IS SOMETHING ELSE REQUIRED?!
#140darkjedilinkPosted 1/26/2013 2:24:53 PM
TechniMyoko posted...
That's not the same. It'd be more like being charged $1 to use the DVD upscaling on a bluray player

No, actually it isn't (since the Wii Mode upscales VC games).

It would be like demanding BD-Live on DVD's in a Blu-ray player, the ability to switch camera angles and remembering exactly where the movie left off for free on the DVD.
---