So power doesn't matter again?

#41darkjedilinkPosted 1/26/2013 3:04:21 PM
Enigma149 posted...
Nobody ever claimed that "graphics don't matter". Some people claimed that "gameplay is more important than graphics", but that's entirely different. The former is simply idiotic - the second is quite logical (for, if graphics were more important than gameplay, most people wouldn't care about BC, since all old games have outdated graphics).

I'll be honest - I don't think graphics matter. I play the version of a game that's the most fun, regardless of whether or not the graphics are good. That meant a lot of shooters on the Wii versus the other systems (and, to be honest, a lot of them over the PC - KBM is a quantifiably better control scheme, but I have more fun with the Wii Remote).

That's how I'm still able to enjoy old-school games - it's not about nostalgia, it's about fun. I never played Balloon Fight before Tuesday, and I thoroughly enjoy it, despite the graphics and despite the apparent fact that the Wii VC version is graphically superior to the Wii U VC version. If graphics mattered to me, none of this could be the case.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#42DiaperDandeePosted 1/26/2013 3:06:43 PM
darkjedilink posted...
ThaPrinceRaziel posted...
darkjedilink posted...
Remember when Nintendo boasted about the Wii U being stronger than the current gen of consoles and everyone believed them. So everyone here believed that the Wii u would be on par with the PS4 and nextbox, because Sony apparently wouldn't be able to afford another high speced console and Microsoft wouldn't bother because they're focusing on casuals? Well now that reality caught up... Is it back to "graphics don't matter & multiplat games are better on pc anyway?"

What do you mean "reality caught up?" Apparently, the guy who invented FXAA stated that - even with the "uber" specs of the PS4/720, the PS4 will only look great with first-party games (that almost always look great anyway), and the 360 will be severely limited by its RAM and ESRAM.

The reality is, the next Sony and MS consoles aren't anywhere near as powerful as you think.

So the Wii U will easily handle multiplat games from the two then? Because if they aren't as powerful as I think, does that mean the Wii U is much weaker than I thought?

Yes, the Wii U will easily handle multiplat games, since multiplat games won't be as advanced as you seem to be convinced they will.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened either. That's why I don't respond to most of these topics because if fanboys think the PS4/720 games are going to look twice as good as PS3/360 games, it is going to be funny to see their reaction when they aren't.

Luckily when I get my PS4 or the next Xbox, I won't be as buttheart as a lot of the fanboys when the graphics aren't that impressive.
---
Playing (360/WiiU): Halo 4, Skyrim, Fallout 3: GOTY, LoZ: Twilight Princess
#43darkjedilinkPosted 1/26/2013 3:08:03 PM
kyomagi posted...
dont worry, as soon as we see all the shoddy, water downed ports coming over to the wii u because game devs are making games on the 720/ps4, this board will be extremely entertaining.

You mean, like those shoddy, watered-down ports of 360 games the PS3 got a ton of?

Wasn't the PS3 supposed to be significantly more powerful than the 360, because it came out a year newer?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#44Newbie00Posted 1/26/2013 3:12:10 PM
darkjedilink posted...
EazyERock posted...

I believe the PS2/Xbox/GC all ran a close race where the PS2 barely edged out.

if by barely, you mean dominated, then yes you have a point..

seriously?!?! "barely"? GTFO of here

Exactly. It wasn't close. Even if you account for the amount of time the PS2 was out versus the other two - as in, just go by five years from the start, the PS2 still outsold the other two COMBINED almost 2 to 1.

With a SEVER power handicap compared to them.

Hardly severe. Multiplats were still comparable and the gap wasn't large enough for devs to exclude one platform in it's entirety.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#45leopoldsharkPosted 1/26/2013 3:18:12 PM
Power matters to a point. Power might allow things to run smoothly or have better lighting effects, but developers seem to want to focus on increasing texture quality and the number of pixels they can fit on a screen, which may wow you in the trailers but when you play it, your game will still run at 30 fps (which many people don't mind, some do) and have long load times. With a more powerful system you may be able to decrease some load times, but if you are trying to push the envelope of what your console can do, the load times will remain roughly the same.

Developers have worked within the constraints of a system since the creation of the first video game. Game designers designing for the Wii U will know what their system can do and what it can't and design around that. Working in constraint also allows for innovation in some cases. Instead of going for realism, you go for a unique art style which is less of a strain on the system (like Madworld's Sin City style, Epic Yarn's yarny graphics, Wind Waker and Okami's Cel Shading) which in the long run allows the game to look great 10+ years after the game was released.

That applies to developers working for the Wii U directly, but this may be a problem for multiplat games, which are designed with a different system in mind (most likely Microsoft). Porting to a different system like the Wii U may take more time and effort, and some things may have to be downscaled, but great games will always look great regardless of technology.
#46darkjedilinkPosted 1/26/2013 3:21:39 PM
Newbie00 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
EazyERock posted...

I believe the PS2/Xbox/GC all ran a close race where the PS2 barely edged out.

if by barely, you mean dominated, then yes you have a point..

seriously?!?! "barely"? GTFO of here

Exactly. It wasn't close. Even if you account for the amount of time the PS2 was out versus the other two - as in, just go by five years from the start, the PS2 still outsold the other two COMBINED almost 2 to 1.

With a SEVER power handicap compared to them.

Hardly severe. Multiplats were still comparable and the gap wasn't large enough for devs to exclude one platform in it's entirety.

Look at side-by-sides of Madden games and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. If you don't think that difference is "severe," then I don't know what to say.
---
#47geneticsftwPosted 1/26/2013 3:48:17 PM
HungoverHero777 posted...
Chocolate chip. Is there any other answer?

Yes, but they are wrong. lol
---
Sweet
#48ThaPrinceRaziel(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 3:58:47 PM
geneticsftw posted...
HungoverHero777 posted...
Chocolate chip. Is there any other answer?

Yes, but they are wrong. lol

Chocolate chip is the Mario of cookies. When you think cookie you usually think chocolate chip,like you do Mario to gaming. It hasn't been milked as much as Mario though, and it's a cookie lol.
---
Reaver of Souls.. I have become something... Darker Than Black
#49kyomagiPosted 1/26/2013 4:24:32 PM
darkjedilink posted...
kyomagi posted...
dont worry, as soon as we see all the shoddy, water downed ports coming over to the wii u because game devs are making games on the 720/ps4, this board will be extremely entertaining.

You mean, like those shoddy, watered-down ports of 360 games the PS3 got a ton of?

Wasn't the PS3 supposed to be significantly more powerful than the 360, because it came out a year newer?

yep, seeing as im not a drone and i own multiple systems, i owned a ps3 for exclusives and i played all the multi-plats on the xbox
---
Magistarkyo - PSN; kyoakuma - 360
PSN Profile - http://psnprofiles.com/magistarkyo
#50zender1999Posted 1/26/2013 4:26:07 PM
this is what i found out about power managment

once the wiiu formatted my drive, when i turn on my wiiu it also turns on the had drive, and when i shut down the wiiu it also automatically shuts down the hard drive, i dont have to do it manually