IGN says the Wii U's VC is fair.

#1kos12Posted 1/26/2013 3:26:22 PM
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/26/5-reasons-wii-us-virtual-console-is-totally-fair

I know a lot of you probalby dont like or even trust IGN, but usually I dont mind them.

But I gotta say this article is just...no.

The Playstation Network is my answer. The writer of the article clearly talks about Sonys CrossBuy and how Nintendo chooses not to do that. Thats perfectly fine.

Thats not even what Im talking about. The fact that the PSN lets you download anything once then you can re-download it an additional 5 times (whether on your PS3, PSP, PSV) is what Im talking about. Its a simple transfer of data from the Wii to the Wii U. And instead of saving some cash, perhaps going towards a new game to download, people will have to pay a fee to transfer games theyve already bought to another console... Greed.

I have SMB1-3. SMW, MarioKart64, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Metal Slug, and Lost Winds. I dont have a WiiU now, but Ill probably be picking one up and a 3ds by the end of the year. With those games ill easily be spending over 10 bucks to transfer them when I could just get Super Metroid instead...

Whatcha guys thinking?
---
I pwn teh noobz errrday.
#2DiscostewSMPosted 1/26/2013 3:31:14 PM(edited)
I think Sony does what Sony does, and Nintendo does what Nintendo does. Taking one single issue and ignoring the rest doesn't mean that one issue is the deciding factor of what makes a company a good company.

And...you seem to be confused. Transferring from the Wii to the Wii mode of Wii U is free. Getting a Wii U copy that contains features not available (and some not possible) on the Wii is where the fee comes in.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#3YoyokuKOPosted 1/26/2013 3:28:51 PM
didn't every "journalist" rate the wii u before it began it's life cycle?
no one anyone says has any merit
#4kos12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 3:37:07 PM
I know the wii mode to the wii u mode is free. Im just talking about sending over NES and SNES games (as of now) from the wii to wiiU will cost $1 and $1.50 respectively. Thats just GREED. Obviously Nintendo does its own thing compared to Sony, but that doesnt make it FAIR. I purchased those games to my wii 2-3 years ago and Im going to have to pay a fee if I want to replay them on an updated console? No thanks. Sony has it right. Thats customer service. Nintendo is being greedy, and Im not buying.

Im sure most of you will though because youre weak, cant stick up for whats right, and praise the Big N.

On a side note the Direct was a disappointment, announcing games we already knew coming, but the new Xenoblade looks incredible from 30 seconds of footage. Now thats something to look forward to.
---
I pwn teh noobz errrday.
#5DoramiPosted 1/26/2013 3:37:49 PM
kos12 posted...
Thats not even what Im talking about. The fact that the PSN lets you download anything once then you can re-download it an additional 5 times (whether on your PS3, PSP, PSV) is what Im talking about.

If you take a look at the PSN store from your PS3, PSP, and PSV, you'll notice different selections for PSOne Classics and PSP games that are available on the PSV compared to PSP/PS3. This is because PSV's PSP and PS1 emulators are not quite as mature as the PSP/PS3's. Some of the missing titles can be bought on a PS3 and transferred to a PSV--assuming you have a PS3. Others simply do not work even after the transfer. You will have to wait for an unknown amount of time for Sony to fix the emulators to a point where those games will work on a PSV.
---
"You are an Earthman in whom a preference for the personal presence of an attractive woman is not psychotic." - R. Daneel Olivaw, The Naked Sun
#6Virus66Posted 1/26/2013 3:41:38 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7kos12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 3:42:28 PM
Dorami posted...
kos12 posted...
Thats not even what Im talking about. The fact that the PSN lets you download anything once then you can re-download it an additional 5 times (whether on your PS3, PSP, PSV) is what Im talking about.

If you take a look at the PSN store from your PS3, PSP, and PSV, you'll notice different selections for PSOne Classics and PSP games that are available on the PSV compared to PSP/PS3. This is because PSV's PSP and PS1 emulators are not quite as mature as the PSP/PS3's. Some of the missing titles can be bought on a PS3 and transferred to a PSV--assuming you have a PS3. Others simply do not work even after the transfer. You will have to wait for an unknown amount of time for Sony to fix the emulators to a point where those games will work on a PSV.

Yep, I already knew all that. I dont mind playing the waiting game at all. Im sure by the end of 2013 most ps1 games will be playable on my PSV, and if not I can play them on my PSP or even PS3. Point is whatever game it is, Im paying for it once and can send it where ever the hell I want FOR FREE.
---
I pwn teh noobz errrday.
#8mjc0961Posted 1/26/2013 3:46:14 PM(edited)
kos12 posted...
Thats not even what Im talking about. The fact that the PSN lets you download anything once then you can re-download it an additional 5 times (whether on your PS3, PSP, PSV) is what Im talking about. Its a simple transfer of data from the Wii to the Wii U. And instead of saving some cash, perhaps going towards a new game to download, people will have to pay a fee to transfer games theyve already bought to another console... Greed.

I have SMB1-3. SMW, MarioKart64, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Metal Slug, and Lost Winds. I dont have a WiiU now, but Ill probably be picking one up and a 3ds by the end of the year. With those games ill easily be spending over 10 bucks to transfer them when I could just get Super Metroid instead...

Whatcha guys thinking?

I'm thinking there's two big problems here (and one small).

1. PSN doesn't let me download everything. I bought Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops from PSN back when I had a PSP Go (yeah, I know... I'm ashamed of myself too). All I have to do is just download it on my Vita to enjoy it with new control options like mapping something to the second stick so I can have good camera controls, right? WRONG! For no stated reason at all, Sony forbids me from downloading a game I already paid for onto my PS Vita so I can play it. I can't even pay a dollar to upgrade to a Vita compatible version. As Gene Wilder would say, I get nothing! I lose! Good day sir!

2. Unlike PSN, Nintendo DOES let you transfer everything from Wii to Wii U, and they let you do it FOR FREE. The dollar/dollar-fiddy per game is only to upgrade it to a Wii U version with GamePad support, Miiverse support, and save state support. You can choose not to pay and play that game on your Wii U for free in Wii Mode, though. I already have every digital game I downloaded on the Wii transferred over to my Wii U and I can play them all right now at no cost to me.

3. Sony knocked the activated device limit down from five a while ago.

Bottom line, you should really get your facts in order before you make a comparison between Nintendo and Sony that's inaccurate to what both sides allow you to do.

All that said, I do agree that Nintendo charging for what is basically a firmware update is very sketchy. You have to do the Wii to Wii U transfer for it to even realize you own the game, so there's no risk of multiple copies involved here. It should just be "Oh, you already own that game? Here's a free firmware update for you" and then the game gets removed from Wii mode and put in Wii U mode.

But still, kudos to Nintendo for supporting EVERY Wii game on the Wii U, which is far better than other companies they keep getting compared to.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#9x2link777Posted 1/26/2013 3:45:16 PM
kos12 posted...
I know the wii mode to the wii u mode is free. Im just talking about sending over NES and SNES games (as of now) from the wii to wiiU will cost $1 and $1.50 respectively. Thats just GREED. Obviously Nintendo does its own thing compared to Sony, but that doesnt make it FAIR. I purchased those games to my wii 2-3 years ago and Im going to have to pay a fee if I want to replay them on an updated console? No thanks. Sony has it right. Thats customer service. Nintendo is being greedy, and Im not buying.

Im sure most of you will though because youre weak, cant stick up for whats right, and praise the Big N.

On a side note the Direct was a disappointment, announcing games we already knew coming, but the new Xenoblade looks incredible from 30 seconds of footage. Now thats something to look forward to.

Not sure if trolling or just obtuse, but you DON'T have to pay anything to "replay them on an updated console", which you would know if you read and understood the article. You have to pay a fee for EXTRA, advanced features such as Gamepad play and save-states that are not part of what you initially bought. Yes, it would be great if Nintendo gave those features for free. Just like it'd be great to get free fries with my dollar menu double cheeseburger at McDonald's. It's just ignorant to expect something for free like either case.
---
I am the most fiendish terror that flaps in the darkest night. I am the skunk that pollutes your air. I am Negaduck!!
#10kos12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 3:48:03 PM
Virus66 posted...
Actually PSN only allows downloads on 2 consoles. It used to be 5 but people were exploiting it. I mean, they still are. I AM for that matter. Let my friend buy all the games and I get them all for free. It makes sense why Nintendo wouldn't let you download it on other consoles too.

Unless thats a very recent change thats not true. My ps3 has YLOD 3 or even 4 times (surprisingly my original Xbox 360 has never broke lol) and everytime it comes back Ive redownloaded those games/songs (rock band)
---
I pwn teh noobz errrday.