Who is your favorite female Nintendo character and why do you like her?

#51darkjedilinkPosted 1/26/2013 10:20:37 PM
Frizzurd posted...
I would of picked Samus if she was the Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor type that we thought she was.

And BOOM goes the dynamite to every PTSD argument ever made to explain away all of the idiosyncrasies Samus displays in Other M. Ripley and Sarah Connor both deal with tragic events just as bad as (if not arguably worse than) what Samus went through, only to dredge through future encounters with the same monsters they fought before WITHOUT resorting to paralysis and bending to the will of an authoritative man. On top of this, they weren't blessed with years upon years of training, enhanced genetics and an armored suit/superweapon with which to fight them. They had to do it as normal human beings, severely underequipped to handle the challenges before them, and when it was time to face those challenges, they didn't freeze up and start crying. They kicked some ass, took some names and NO man was going to tell them how to do it!
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#52crondizzlePosted 1/26/2013 10:21:32 PM
Samus (zero suit)

because, She's hot.
#53wiiking96Posted 1/26/2013 10:27:13 PM(edited)
darkjedilink posted...
Frizzurd posted...
I would of picked Samus if she was the Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor type that we thought she was.

And BOOM goes the dynamite to every PTSD argument ever made to explain away all of the idiosyncrasies Samus displays in Other M. Ripley and Sarah Connor both deal with tragic events just as bad as (if not arguably worse than) what Samus went through, only to dredge through future encounters with the same monsters they fought before WITHOUT resorting to paralysis and bending to the will of an authoritative man. On top of this, they weren't blessed with years upon years of training, enhanced genetics and an armored suit/superweapon with which to fight them. They had to do it as normal human beings, severely underequipped to handle the challenges before them, and when it was time to face those challenges, they didn't freeze up and start crying. They kicked some ass, took some names and NO man was going to tell them how to do it!

Basically. Heck, I don't even think Samus has PTSD, maybe she never had it to begin with. Even in the Manga, it was never outright stated that she did indeed have PTSD, just symptoms of it. If she did have it, wouldn't the Chozo - the most technologically advanced and enlightened race in the universe - be able to treat something like PTSD in around 15 years?
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#54DesulatedPosted 1/26/2013 10:24:25 PM
Samus...until they dumped a whole truckload of diarrhea all over her character in Other M, but let's just pretend that game never existed.
---
"Command and Conquer 4 and Red Alert 3 sucking is the fault of Westwood."-Gaming King
League of Legends username: Lati0s
#55ssbmrocksPosted 1/26/2013 10:27:09 PM
I'm fond of Midna (Imp form). I like her facial expressions and voice, and her character all-around. Plus, it was awesome seeing her grab Ganon by the head and throw him down on his side.
---
Them ain't your funyuns, them's Foxxy's funyuns.
#56SSJ4CHRISPosted 1/26/2013 10:37:25 PM
strongo9 posted...
This topic has shown that many people here on GameFAQs are pedophiles.

Viridi, Toon Zelda, and Imp Midna? Seriously?

Do you even know what a "pedophile" is? Liking someone with a small body isn't it.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#57dristin1Posted 1/26/2013 10:45:44 PM
Peach
-knows how to swing a frying pan.
- and without her 95% of Mario games would suck, and Mario and Boswer would have become best friends long ago and teamed up to kill Wario.
#58_SilverShot_Posted 1/26/2013 10:57:25 PM
I voted for Zelda for several reasons.

Primarily, it's because I consider a very balanced (if not entirely flushed-out) character. "Strong" women characters (She ain't gotta take no help from no maaaan") are a dime a dozen these days, as are filler characters with little purpose. Zelda portrays a person who is strong in a realistic way - she's got a strong will and moral compass, but she needs help.

I see the "damsel in distress" character these days either fading out completely or being made mostly pointless / forgettable, but Nintendo takes the role and does something meaningful with it with this character. She's a princess, but that means that she is as often shackled by her station as she is empowered by it. She's strong, but human and realistically limited. She's wise, but also uncertain about how to save the world around her. All of this makes the dynamic of playing as the hero - Link - much more engrossing. You need to save her, but man, she's worth saving.

My other notable mentions were Samus and Peach, for different reasons. Samus is a powerhouse female character for Nintendo, having some of the most development, but to me she suffers slightly from the flat "role model" design principle that female characters are getting stuck with these days, where they're only judged as being "good" characters if they adhere to a narrow set of "good" principles. But she gets a lot of development time for a Nintendo character, and she pulls of the badass female pretty well. My disclaimer: I haven't played Other M yet, and I know that influences the character greatly.

Peach can be said to be more flat than Samus from a development perspective, but she also doesn't feel quite so much as though she was made from a template that's currently popular. Except for the games like the Smash Brothers games, she isn't portrayed as being "kickass," which makes sense - she's a princess. She's just a fun character that you need to rescue, and she sort of makes fun of the standard damsel in distress by being an exaggerated example. Se's simple, but the character laughs at itself.
#59KayubePosted 1/26/2013 11:02:17 PM
Marin, from Link's Awakening. She has a pretty interesting personality.
---
This signature intentionally left blank.
#60Vidius101Posted 1/26/2013 11:03:33 PM
Midna
---
Programmed Java, Python, Mat Lab, Project Alice, MS DOS and ADA.