What type of External Hard drive is best for Wii U?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What type of External Hard drive is best for Wii U?

User Info: STN79

STN79
3 years ago#1
I recently upgraded the space in my PS3 and was going to use the old drive as an external for Wii U. Will that work? I found out the only drives PS3 will recognize have to be formatted to FAT 32. Is that also the case with Wii U? Is there a size limit or any other things i should know before hooking up an external?

User Info: jackorhoads

jackorhoads
3 years ago#2
I think the size limit is 3 TB, when you plug it into the Wiiu the system formats the drive for you and units without a y cable or seperate power supply have been known to crash the system. So any external hd will do really.
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd

User Info: mjc0961

mjc0961
3 years ago#3
Yeah, just get an enclosure for the old drive and you should be good. Go for one that's powered separately or get a Y cable for the USB, though.

As far as formatting goes, Wii U will format it to what it wants when you plug it in and go to system settings.
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. What type of External Hard drive is best for Wii U?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived