Are we ever gonna get FULL RANGE HDMI support?!

#1dudupupuPosted 1/27/2013 4:08:54 AM
Playing on a PC monitor, the black levels leave something to be desired. Can we get a petition or something started for this?!?
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#2StarBladeEdgePosted 1/27/2013 4:10:32 AM
no sorry
---
Nintendo The Best Game Company Let's destroy the wiiu board trolls!
WiiU True Next Gen for the next 8-10 years !
#3dudupupu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 4:15:34 AM
But it's the only negative to the system!

It's a shame, really.
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#4MikeBearmanPosted 1/27/2013 4:18:35 AM(edited)
Your PC monitor should have options to correct that, mine does and the games look amazing.
#5dudupupu(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 4:23:48 AM
I have two monitors - the lesser one for my PC, the awesome one for my gaming setup. Unfortunately, the awesome one doesn't have the option...

I could hook the Wii U up to my other one (until they patch it...they WILL, right?!?), but it's in the other room...

*sigh*
---
#6EternalWolfPosted 1/27/2013 4:25:45 AM
It likely will be added, there is no reason not to. Even though there is little reason not to include it at launch, it simply isnt a priority.

It will come in after the OS is solid and they find a UI that is worth keeping, as they do not have either right now. Its not a hard feature to add at all, but this works the same way that PCs do. Once we get better drivers we will get better firmware. Right now the drivers are pretty bad. They seem to be stable and "solid", but its just acceptable and not up to par with where they should be.

This is really Nintendo's first venture into providing driver and firmware updates on a routine basis, give them time. I would rather have stable releases that work than unstable releases loaded with features. They obviously are set on doing things their way and are not looking at other OS and UI for help, just look at the horrible layouts of Miiverse and eShop and really even the main menu. The channel system is fine, but there is no need for 6 pages of it when you can have channels withing channels(folders).

Full Range RGB will be added, there is almost no way it wont be.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#7EternalWolfPosted 1/27/2013 4:48:18 AM(edited)
MikeBearman posted...
Your PC monitor should have options to correct that, mine does and the games look amazing.

Thats impossible, its the software not harder. The Wii-U currently only supports Limited RGB which doesnt support all the colors, mainly blacks, that Full Range does. The result is stuff that should look like its fading perfectly into black ends up being all the same, pitch black color/shade.

These is a bad metaphor but say a wall and corner or whatever has 10 different shades of black in it, from top-left(light coming in) to bottom-right(the darkest corner).

Limited = You can only see three shades of black.

////
/////////
/////////////////

Full = You can see all shades of black.

////
//////
////////
/////////
///////////
////////////
/////////////
///////////////
////////////////
/////////////////

The result is much smoother lighting/shadows/colors/whatever it is meant to be. With limited, it usually ends up looking like a big pitched black space, the colors get crushed and it will hide colors right next to it or between the darkest blacks if they are of a slightly lighter color/shade such as....

Limited

///////////////////// = Pitch Black

Full

//////////////// = Dark Black
////////// = Black
//////////////// = Dark Black

The reason I am using Black, Dark Black and Pitch Black is because Black, Gray and whatever is in between are very far apart in color with these terms.

it is extremely easy to notice the difference when you switch between the two, but it isnt a huge deal unless you are playing dark games.

It is not something that a monitor can fix because the extra colors that Full supports simply do not exist in Limited.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#8MikeBearmanPosted 1/27/2013 5:16:21 AM
What I should of posted is that it makes it look better as it lets you adjust the black levels making it look closer to what it should be.

I'm sorry but we all don't need a lesson in Hdmi black levels, It was totally unnecessary.

I was just trying to let him know, it will look better if his monitor had those options to adjust black levels, until they decide to patch it.
#9jsb0714Posted 1/27/2013 7:18:47 AM
dudupupu posted...
I have two monitors - the lesser one for my PC, the awesome one for my gaming setup. Unfortunately, the awesome one doesn't have the option...

I could hook the Wii U up to my other one (until they patch it...they WILL, right?!?), but it's in the other room...

*sigh*

Then it isn't that awesome, is it?
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this