Wii U news. DQX further proves MMORPGs = ultimate gaming genre.

#11xenosaga123(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 9:13:58 AM
Not all Nintendo consumers are spoiled children and cheap adults that sneak out of restaurants before the bill arrives.

darkjedilink posted...
If the game requires a monthly fee to play in the US, it won't sell.

lol fools in the FF fanbase said the same thing about FFXI Online mmorpg on PS2

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/25/final-fantasy-xi-the-most-profitable-in-the-franchise/

FFXI Online even these days is subscription fee based and after 10 years, it's about to receive it's 5th expansion.

FF11 is the most played and in fact most popular and longest lasting FF in the entire franchise.

Free to play is the death and stagnation of mmorpgs.

Pay to play can produce more longterm effort, updates and expansions for an mmorpg.

notice how any free to play game online, has very limited to no DLC/expansion support compared to subscription fee based MMORPGs.

It will sell DLC is a huge market that companies take advantage of, and subscription fees for Nintendo's flagship MMORPG on Wii U would sell like hotcakes to mmorpg fans and mmorpg newcomers that like it, not to mention the Dragon Quest fans.
#12meiyukiPosted 1/28/2013 9:19:39 AM
It depends massively on how the mmo is made, and sadly nearly every mmo made today is a lazy casual game cash in, which ironically doesn't work. They're designed to be "beaten" in a month or two and then tossed. They never develop a good community or anything that would make people stick around, at that point it'd rather honestly just play a single player game.

I have more play time in skyrim than a lot of mmos I've played and I consider skyrim to be one of the worst ES games, think about that for a moment. MMOs used to be a vastly different gaming experience from single player games and that's why I loved them, but not the differences are almost indistinguishable is most cases. In that case I'd rather just play a single player game cause they generally can do things better than an mmo since they don't have to sync up a server with thousands of players. If mmos went back to offering that unique experience again I'd be more excited about them and would definitely seriously get back into one.
#13xenosaga123(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 10:26:23 AM
yea but even the casual approach is something some fans would still pay for.

I personally can't stand the regular rpgs and DQs. At least DQX not only allows personalized character creation, but also has a community based world for it, so while it's casual, it allows players to team up too, and it does possess the mmorpg basics.

Well not every RPG can be an Elder Scrolls (most developers are too lazy to even reach Morrowind's level of freedom and customization.)

but it's still better to bring Dragon Quest X to america than Nintendo continuing to be known as the turtle that refuses to accept anything outside of what it's familiar with (its shell).

FFXI Online became a phenomenon on PS2 besides PC (yea it's too hardcore for most casual mmorpg gamers, but it's still successful and has a legendary legacy.)

Dragon Quest X could be the "FFXI" of Wii U, but of course with a different flavor and more user friendly, but that can still be fun.

http://kotaku.com/5933175/dragon-quest-x-is-both-forward+thinking-and-backwards-at-the-same-time

Kotaku whines for some dumb reasons though. It's obvious that people should have an USB keyboard if they expect to use chat effectively like they do on a PC. They shouldn't nitpick the chat system using the game controller since it's cumbersome no matter what console you're using text chatting in.

As for the grind, at least it's more soloable than FFXI. Also, FFXI didn't reward EXP through quests. Players have to kill enemies over and over to level up and access the later stories/quests. It's hardcore grinding, but it's still not that different from the classic RPGs and MMORPGs that veterans keep talking about.

Some fans could see it as intensive training. :)

Also it has cool features like the npc party member system, and of course it's recommended to party with people, that's a part of what MMORPGs are about instead of just commanding some a.i. squad.

Playing with other players is playing with other souls, and that's something RPGs really lack, even the co-op ones can't match the community atmosphere and camraderie of MMORPGs.
#14EndgamePosted 1/28/2013 10:29:56 AM
MMORPGs suck.

and non-MMOs are doing so much better these days, right?!
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#15darkjedilinkPosted 1/28/2013 10:33:05 AM
Endgame posted...
MMORPGs suck.

and non-MMOs are doing so much better these days, right?!

Generally, they are.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#16darkjedilinkPosted 1/28/2013 10:36:10 AM
xenosaga123 posted...
Not all Nintendo consumers are spoiled children and cheap adults that sneak out of restaurants before the bill arrives.

darkjedilink posted...
If the game requires a monthly fee to play in the US, it won't sell.

lol fools in the FF fanbase said the same thing about FFXI Online mmorpg on PS2

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/25/final-fantasy-xi-the-most-profitable-in-the-franchise/

FFXI Online even these days is subscription fee based and after 10 years, it's about to receive it's 5th expansion.

FF11 is the most played and in fact most popular and longest lasting FF in the entire franchise.

Free to play is the death and stagnation of mmorpgs.

Pay to play can produce more longterm effort, updates and expansions for an mmorpg.

notice how any free to play game online, has very limited to no DLC/expansion support compared to subscription fee based MMORPGs.

It will sell DLC is a huge market that companies take advantage of, and subscription fees for Nintendo's flagship MMORPG on Wii U would sell like hotcakes to mmorpg fans and mmorpg newcomers that like it, not to mention the Dragon Quest fans.

FF11 came out at a time when sub-based MMO's were generally well-received.

Look what happened to FF14.

Other than World of Warcraft, which is (supposedly) considering a hybrid-F2P option, who has a successful sub-based MMO? They ALL have some sort of free option, most due to being dismal failures with a subscription.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#17DTY3Posted 1/28/2013 10:37:12 AM
I'd like MMO's if there existed one with a decent battle system.

Well Phantasy Star wasnt bad.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#18FFXIgaiaknightPosted 1/28/2013 10:41:17 AM
i would gladly pay the monthly fee for DQX if SE would bring the dang game over but if SE was smart the would still bring the wii version over also.
---
Currently Playing: DMC: Devil May Cry (PS3)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#19mashuPosted 1/28/2013 10:57:21 AM
For an MMORPG to do well it needs both an active and populous online presence and an excellent combat system. Well, those plus semi-regular content updates. MMORPGs can be and are a great genre when those things are in place, but they rarely are. I say that even really enjoying MMORPGs, but there have been many disappointments. Would I try one on a Wii U? Sure, so long as there was no monthly fee and my investment was the game disc only - because - I have somewhat little faith in the depth of the online presence on the Wii U at the moment, in a game like this at least.

PSO2 is the one I'd like to see on the Wii U. PSO/PSO Ep I&II was a lot of fun to play and remains one of my favorite games. While not technically an MMO, it hit all the right buttons for me in what I wanted for what I'll call an online action RPG - maybe more an online action game even. There's history of the franchise on a Nintendo console (GC) and PSO2 was on the leaked game list from a while back, not to mention its coming to the Vita, so I suppose there is a chance it will come to the Wii U still.

The thing PSO2 has going for it is that its free this time (as opposed to PSU), with free updates, but you pay for special perks (setting up a store, multiple characters, changing certain character features, additional mags) and possibly they could charge for special DLC not available with the free DLC. I think that model is good, since to encourage continued updates, some sort of income needs to keep coming in. Many could buy the game and play for free, including the free updates, but some could get additional content and options and help keep the game going. I think its also a perfect fit with the Gamepad, frankly, and, at least for me, an instant system seller (given the franchise popularity and, as of yet, no console release).

Problem is, unless the regional communities are linked, and/or platform versions are linked (PC, Vita, Wii U), it comes back to online presence and install base.

Anyhow, hey - like I said - I'm all for more traditional MMORPGs to be released too. If its an RPG, I'm looking at it closely. Its the majority of what I want from a console, so I'm following DQX as well.
#20_FalstaffPosted 1/28/2013 11:20:16 AM
CrystalKing5426 posted...
MMOs is the only genre that I have zero interest in.

I'm in the same boat and I've recently come to that conclusion. I've tried dozens of MMORPG's since WoW first came out. Not a single one interested me for more than a couple weeks. I kept buying them because I kept thinking to myself, "Maybe this is the one that will really get me interested." After playing Guild Wars 2, the game that promised to change everything people didn't like about the genre, I finally quit.

Just one man's experience. I'm not against an MMORPG on the Wii U, but I won't be buying it.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.