Wii U news. DQX further proves MMORPGs = ultimate gaming genre.

#31miraimikePosted 1/28/2013 12:34:29 PM
meiyuki posted...
miraimike posted...
RPGs are my favorite genre, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee. i just don't have the hours to spare to make the fee worth it. With all the addon packs and the long lifecycle of these games, I'm certain they can keep these games profitable without the fee.

The subscription fee amounts to about the cost of buying 2 games a year. Even if you consider the average rpg is about 40-50 hours, and you bought the box, if you play an mmo for 150 hours in a year you've gotten the same amount for your money as single player games.

I don't particularly enjoy subscription fees but people tend to blow them out of proportion a bit.

Except I can pick up and play one of those two games the following year. With a monthly fee, the gamer is shackled to the title.
---
-Mike 3DS Friend Code: 2148-8168-3762 Street Fighter IV
"Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"
#32Bahamut_10thPosted 1/28/2013 12:36:11 PM
99% of the MMORPGs are crap and more cookie-cutter than a Tales of game.
#33GdboyratedloudPosted 1/28/2013 12:39:06 PM
LMFAOOOOO now MMO's dnt matter.

drones i tell you!!!!

DRONES
---
PSN: JamesDeanONdaLOW
little did I know, James Dean was actually on the down low.
#34Bahamut_10thPosted 1/28/2013 12:44:33 PM
MMOs are to games what Ben Stiller movies are to Cinema.

The only thing lower are mobile freemium games.
#35blankempathyPosted 1/28/2013 12:44:48 PM
MMos are made up of all the things gamers want though. Character progression not only by stats and levels but visual upgrades because of armor. People interaction (aside from you solo gamers out there) and that feeling of accomplishment, either from leveling or completing dungeons/getting items. Story usually suffers though. People can complain about mmos all they want but unless you've actually tried it you wouldn't understand. Personally I'm sick of mmos though. Just thinking about playing one makes me feel burnt out.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#36meiyukiPosted 1/28/2013 12:52:06 PM
miraimike posted...

Except I can pick up and play one of those two games the following year. With a monthly fee, the gamer is shackled to the title.

I know everyone has their reasons but most people play a game, beat it, and rarely touch it again except maybe to do another playthrough later when they're bored. You're not exactly shackled to a game that you have to play as little as a 150 hours in an entire year(I'm assuming one expansion comes out a year) to justify the cost. That amounts to about 12 hours a month. I'm not denying they are a turn off to people, it's just rather overblown when you barely have to play the game at all to justify the costs.

People would spend 5 times that amount on games they never look at after they've had it for a month or two all while complaining about how horrible an mmo subscription fee is. Yeah you tend to stick to one mmo for a long time because of the investment in it, but that was kind of the point originally of mmos, you paid the sub fee cause you intended to play the game a hell of a lot more than single player games. And again we're talking 150 hours in a year, most people would do that in 2 months or less.
#37miraimikePosted 1/28/2013 1:10:48 PM
meiyuki posted...
miraimike posted...

I know everyone has their reasons but most people play a game, beat it, and rarely touch it again except maybe to do another playthrough later when they're bored. You're not exactly shackled to a game that you have to play as little as a 150 hours in an entire year(I'm assuming one expansion comes out a year) to justify the cost. That amounts to about 12 hours a month. I'm not denying they are a turn off to people, it's just rather overblown when you barely have to play the game at all to justify the costs.

People would spend 5 times that amount on games they never look at after they've had it for a month or two all while complaining about how horrible an mmo subscription fee is. Yeah you tend to stick to one mmo for a long time because of the investment in it, but that was kind of the point originally of mmos, you paid the sub fee cause you intended to play the game a hell of a lot more than single player games. And again we're talking 150 hours in a year, most people would do that in 2 months or less.

This debate hinges on what types of game you play. I can easily play any decent fighting game for years. A standard RPG player may also find more value in any $20 Atelier or Xeno greatest hits title than all the investment in an MMO. I think Sega had it right with PSO the first time around: fake MMO atmosphere, team play, offline and online leveling on the same account, and no fees. There was no pressure with that game to level up. I would readily pay a premium for that on the front end, but I can't justify a long term drain on my own wallet. I can't make a years commitment to one game when I know there's a mile long list of other stuff I also need to play.
---
-Mike 3DS Friend Code: 2148-8168-3762 Street Fighter IV
"Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"
#38CranberryPSOPosted 1/28/2013 1:27:23 PM
I would love to see Dragon Quest X get an english release. After months of hearing nothing, I finally decided to import it. Saddly, the server IP blocks all non-Japanese connections, and won't accept foreign credit cards... in fact getting the game to run at all required me to totally convert a Wii to be a Japanese Wii. Region unlocking alone isn't enough. Talk about the most anti-foreigner game I've ever seen...

I'm offline only on the game, but I've still been enjoying it. I would love to see it localized and made available to western audiences. The problem is that Dragon Quest has never been big in the west, and has yet to see a true "break out" hit outside of Japan. Releasing it here really is kind of risky. It definitly would be a good example of 3rd party support that Nintendo desperately needs, but with how iffy the franchise is here in the west, I could also see it being a castastrophic failure here in the west as well. Final Fantasy is huge here in the west, so FF11 sold great just on the FF name alone.

Dragon Quest though isn't so big here... and is a lot more iffy.

Nonetheless, I really do love the look and style of the game. This is from the Wii version. I recorded this off a TV tuner so the quality is not perfect, but I still like how it came out.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/png/e3c15d4ba9d18c2a27a735ee4f64e163518240f.png
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#39mini_blightPosted 1/28/2013 2:02:29 PM
xenosaga123 posted...

lol fools in the FF fanbase said the same thing about FFXI Online mmorpg on PS2

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/25/final-fantasy-xi-the-most-profitable-in-the-franchise/

FFXI Online even these days is subscription fee based and after 10 years, it's about to receive it's 5th expansion.

FF11 is the most played and in fact most popular and longest lasting FF in the entire franchise.

And all it took was a decade of milking its niche audience to do it. Not impressive at all.

SE had absolutely no idea they would make money off FFXI for so long. It was just a lucky break leftover from old Square before the merger.
#40CranberryPSOPosted 1/28/2013 2:25:03 PM
I'd say any MMORPG that has been able to last 10 years and still be succesful and profitiable is indeed impressive. It doesn't matter that it has the Final Fantasy name on it. That alone is not going to make it succesful for 10 years.

I myself did not like FF11 and found it really boring. But I can't deny that despite my diselike of it, it's been a huge success.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2