If X turns out to be Xeno-something...

#41ElectricMolePosted 1/27/2013 2:02:47 PM
CrmsnFatalis96 posted...
The thing with Xenoblade is that it wasn't originally a Xeno game. I believe the original title was "Monado: Beginning of the World" or something like that. They changed the name to Xenoblade most likely to attract fans of the older Xeno games (the game was made by the same person who made the other Xeno games).

My suspicion was true then The game has no connection with xenogears or xenosaga at all. It's like Monolith might as well have titled Baten Kaitos a Xeno- game. LOL
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#42STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:03:47 PM
Sirian_Hawk posted...
STE573 posted...
Well done, you've managed to miss the point entirely. I'm not saying that the prefix xeno automatically makes it existing IP. It's the association in art, themes, developer and them the Xeno prefix is the topper that says, hey guys, it's a xeno game. Regardless of honoring somebody, regardless of how it started off as a different project and regardless of how you feel about it, it is a xeno game. By association, by name and by how the general comsumer will approach the product. Same as FF Tactics (which started off as a different project IIRC) and several hundred other games that apart from namesake share no common themes.

If I'm missing the point here let me know.

Well, for starters here, it has no connection other than the Xeno- prefix (and the creator) to connect it to the other games. You say the art and themes, but neither is solely relegated to that series enough to directly connect them.

Mech anime is common enough in Japan, and the whole fight against Gods theme is just as generic in RPGs these days. Neither presents a valid enough connection to just the Xeno series to warrant calling it the same.

The fact is that when the creator made it, it was an entirely new game. He made no connections to the other games nor was that his intention. For all intents and purposes it was, to him and all else, a new game. It was Nintendo, not the game's creator, who added the sole connection in its name, and only out of respect for the man who made it.

It didn't just start as a different project. It IS a different project. Nintendo did not change the game. They did not alter the story to throw in connections to Xenogears. They did not request connections to Xenosaga. The final game is still Monado: Beginning of the World, the completely new game that Tetsuya Takahashi intended to make. Only now it has a title that pays tribute to its creator.

So regardless, of whether you or others are reminded of the Xeno series when you look at the title, doesn't negate the fact that it isn't part of it.

I think we'll have to just agree to disagree. I think the connections lie deep and you think they are just common themes shared across the genre, which is fair enough. I do believe it to be an entirely different game btw, and I do think that under mildly different circumstances I would consider it new IP.

However I think we can both agree that it is a fantastic game regardless of it's IP status.

I've had similar arguments about SOTC.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#43Sirian_HawkPosted 1/27/2013 2:10:11 PM
STE573 posted...
I think we'll have to just agree to disagree. I think the connections lie deep and you think they are just common themes shared across the genre, which is fair enough. I do believe it to be an entirely different game btw, and I do think that under mildly different circumstances I would consider it new IP.

However I think we can both agree that it is a fantastic game regardless of it's IP status.

Fair enough. And yes it was an awesome game. Shame we didn't get more like that.
---
Sure sign you are a nerd: The beginning of AC/DCs "Thunderstruck" always makes you think of Lion-O swinging his sword around.
#44STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:14:19 PM
Sirian_Hawk posted...
STE573 posted...

Fair enough. And yes it was an awesome game. Shame we didn't get more like that.

Well X is looking fantastic from the trailer. I just hope they move some of the HUD elements to the gamepad as the screen looked cluttered at times.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#45leeko_linkPosted 1/28/2013 12:16:06 AM
STE573 posted...
... Can we admit it is essentially part of the whole Xeno mythos and not in fact new IP? Like Tales games for example?

I ask this because of the amount of hate anyone who suggests Xenoblade is not new IP gets on this board.

I'm not trolling at all when I ask this, I'm genuinely curious because the "X" in the trailer looks a lot like the X on the box art for Xenogears, which has been stated multiple times is part of the Xeno series in essence but can't be officially stated due to relations with Squaresoft.

Nah, each company had their own Xeno- game, Squaresoft had Xenogear, Namco had Xenosaga, Atari had Xenophobe, and Nintendo had Xenoblade.
#46TheSmartBlondePosted 1/28/2013 12:59:11 AM
I want KOS-MOS back. Buy her rights from Namco.
#47TediousMattPosted 1/28/2013 3:16:47 AM
The name does not determine if it is a new IP or not.
Remember how Final fantasy adventure wasn't a part of FF? Originally Seiken densetsu.
Remember how Secret of Evermore wasn't related to Secret of Mana? Originally Evermore.

Xenoblade was originally Monado.
#48diggyfreshPosted 1/28/2013 3:40:29 AM
wasn't it clear from the video that this was xenoblade? some combat interface and the face of that character looks like shulk.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#49ValzacardXPosted 1/28/2013 11:34:37 AM
wasn't it clear from the video that this was xenoblade? some combat interface and the face of that character looks like shulk.

Yeah it could be Xenoblade 2(most likely), or a game using the same/modified interface.
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement