5 Reasons Wii U's Virtual Console is Totally Fair

#1Sharky8Posted 1/27/2013 12:39:48 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/26/5-reasons-wii-us-virtual-console-is-totally-fair

1.) You donít have to rebuy your games. Stop saying that.
Without spending a dime, or ever even setting eyes on the Virtual Console section of the Wii U eShop, you are fully able to play all of the retro games you bought for Wii on your new system.

2.) Itís perfectly reasonable to charge for additional services.

Nintendo is giving gamers the option to play their VC games on the GamePad, to use Restore Points, to not have to jump into Wii mode to access Wii content, and to have access to special Miiverse communities centered around these games. So we were all dreading having to rebuy those games, and it turns out we donít have to.

3.) A dollar is a really fair price for whatís being offered.

Okay, so weíve already established that Nintendoís Wii U Virtual Console ďupgradeĒ service is both optional and reasonable - but on top of that, itís also being offered at a ridiculously fair price. For just $1 per NES game or $1.50 per SNES game, youíre granted access to all those features outlined in the last section (GamePad support, Miiverse functionality, Restore Points, etc).

4.) Babies Keep Getting Born

I know this is a hard concept to swallow for those of us who grew up in the Golden Age of gaming with a D-pad planted firmly beneath our thumbs, but these old games are actually new to a lot of people. Whatís more, most of those babies were born after the NES/SNES/N64/GameCube came out (it hurts, I know), and so theyíve never played (and most likely have never even had access to) all these classic games.

So why wouldnít Nintendo continue to sell their old games when thereís still clearly a huge market for it (a constantly renewing and expanding market, at that)? The games themselves certainly havenít diminished in value. In fact, many of them are still some of the greatest and most highly regarded games of all time - so charging a small fraction of their original cost to allow new and old gamers alike to partake in their awesomeness sounds pretty reasonable to me.

5.) You Are Not Entitled to Cross-Buy

To be clear, this next bit is sort of a side-note - but itís intimately related and thusly important to note. Sonyís Cross-Buy service is really cool. In fact, I far prefer it to Nintendoís approach, as for one purchase you can play a game on both your PS3 and your Vita. It kills me that I had to pay twice to have Metroid on both my Wii/Wii U and my 3DS. But while Cross Buy is a service I love and prefer, itís not something Iím entitled to. Thatís really awesome that Sony decided to go that route - and I hope one day Nintendo does the same - but again, thereís a difference between wanting something and being entitled to it.
#2Baha05Posted 1/27/2013 12:41:19 PM
Nope
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3ADHDguitarPosted 1/27/2013 12:42:04 PM
I agree with this article!
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#4darkus_fPosted 1/27/2013 12:42:45 PM
Baha05 posted...
Nope

---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
PWB Fav5: Punk, Ziggler, Cesaro, Orton, Titus
#5Faceman_Posted 1/27/2013 12:44:28 PM
She's right. Some people seem to think they're entitled to something. Nintendo is like that really nice kid on the playground whose always getting talked down to and bullied, but the minute they stand up for themselves everyone says they're out of line.
#6Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 12:44:41 PM
Baha05 posted...
Nope

We're sorry that you are poor and cannot understand your own sense of entitlement.

For those of us living in the adult world, $1-$1.50 per game is not expensive. We understand we are entitled to transferring previous purchases to our new Wii U console, but we also understand that we are NOT ENTITLED to additional features or functionality for those previous purchases that Nintendo had to pay to develop unless we are willing to pay a little bit for it ourselves.
#7CaptainMoosePosted 1/27/2013 12:44:49 PM
darkus_f posted...
Baha05 posted...
Nope

Nope what? You can say something intelligent or be the Internet equivalent of a bobble head.
#8Baha05Posted 1/27/2013 12:50:37 PM(edited)
Sharky8 posted...
We're sorry that you are poor and cannot understand your own sense of entitlement.

For those of us living in the adult world, $1-$1.50 per game is not expensive. We understand we are entitled to transferring previous purchases to our new Wii U console, but we also understand that we are NOT ENTITLED to additional features or functionality for those previous purchases that Nintendo had to pay to develop unless we are willing to pay a little bit for it ourselves.

It's not the cost but the principle of the matter. Paying for controller options and a better integration into the Wii U OS should have been free, not to mention this now screws with how cross play might work with the 3DS.

@ CaptainMoose The last time I tried intelligent rebuttals I got called a rapist so no. Also given how TC acted chances are trying a more intelligent approach wouldn't work.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#9DiscostewSMPosted 1/27/2013 12:49:35 PM
Wii U troll logic regarding IGN

"Bad news" - I couldn't agree more!

"Good news" - IGN isn't a reliable source!
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#10Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 12:59:08 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
Sharky8 posted...

It's not the cost but the principle of the matter. Paying for controller options and a better integration into the Wii U OS should have been free, not to mention this now screws with how cross play might work with the 3DS.

@ CaptainMoose The last time I tried intelligent rebuttals I got called a rapist so no. Also given how TC acted chances are trying a more intelligent approach wouldn't work.

If one day Nintendo said, "we have reworked Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii to allow for classic controller compatibility, however, it required many man hours to make the upgrade, but we did it due to demand from customers."
"If you would like, you may pay 99 cents in the Wii store to download an update to allow you play DKC Returns with a classic controller."

Would you do it? You're not rebuying the game; you're paying $1 more to use a different controller if you want that option.

Sort of like the Wii U: You're not rebuying your VC games. You're paying $1 to be able to play it on your gamepad---a different controller option.

Most reasonable people would say it is reasonable for Nintendo to charge for the service if people wanted it. And if you don't want the extra options you don't have to have them---or pay for them.