5 Reasons Wii U's Virtual Console is Totally Fair

#11GloryChaosPosted 1/27/2013 1:02:59 PM
You are repurchasing your games though. Just at a discounted price.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#12Baha05Posted 1/27/2013 1:04:39 PM
Sharky8 posted...
If one day Nintendo said, "we have reworked Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii to allow for classic controller compatibility, however, it required many man hours to make the upgrade, but we did it due to demand from customers."
"If you would like, you may pay 99 cents in the Wii store to download an update to allow you play DKC with a classic controller."

Would you do it? You're not rebuying the game; you're paying $1 more to use a different controller.

Sort of like the Wii U: You're not rebuying your VC games. You're paying $1 to be able to play it on your gamepad---a different controller option.

Most reasonable people would say it is reasonable for Nintendo to charge for the service if people wanted it.

The other option is to not provide the extra service and not charge. Sort of like when Nintendo said you could play Gamecube Pikmin on your Wii for free, but if you wanted to play Pikmin on your Wii with the Wiimote, you had to rebuy a whole new game. That wasn't unreasonable, either, because if I wanted to play the original GC version, which I already owned, it cost me nothing extra.

The thing is that doing it for a game like DKCR is it's not reworking the game, it's mapping buttons. We working would to be taking the Wind Waker and giving it motion controls. But even if they did update a control option in DCKR, it should still be a free update out of good faith to the consumers.

And yes you are rebuying the game again. And he big difference is that Pikmin was not designed for the Wii Mote to being with, the Wii Mote is a different kind of controller. THe problem is the Pro Controller and Game Pad are NOT different in the sense that it should have a dollar charged for VC titles as both controllers have the same button layout, AND the fact that none of the VC titles are enhanced versions.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#13Awesomely Awesome AJPosted 1/27/2013 1:06:33 PM
I agree with them. You are upgrading your product and you are paying an upgrade fee. Don't think it's that big of a deal
---
3DS 1160-9716-6904 Gamer Tag: AwesomeAJ x8
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/heaven.gif?w=504&h=285
#14darkjedilinkPosted 1/27/2013 1:08:37 PM
So, has Baha yet explained WHY Wii U functionality in Wii games is supposed to be free?

He keeps saying it. I kept asking why. Nobody's actually answered.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#15DifferentialEquationPosted 1/27/2013 1:09:17 PM
Point #4 has nothing to do with the debate. And I like how for point #5, you conveniently leave out the part where the author likens the situation to expecting dvd upgrades of vhs tapes (consequently proving that she's an idiot).
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#16darkjedilinkPosted 1/27/2013 1:13:04 PM
GloryChaos posted...

Yes, you're repurchasing your games. However, under no circumstances do you have to repurchase your Wii VC games to play them on Wii U. It is already done for free. You only have to repurchase them if you want Wii U-exclusive functionality, which you were told Wii games would never have access to before you even had the opportunity to buy a Wii U.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#17GloryChaosPosted 1/27/2013 1:13:48 PM
Sadly, it's impossible to speak reasonably with baha now that DJL is here.
---
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#18GloryChaosPosted 1/27/2013 1:16:32 PM
darkjedilink posted...
GloryChaos posted...

Yes, you're repurchasing your games. However, under no circumstances do you have to repurchase your Wii VC games to play them on Wii U. It is already done for free. You only have to repurchase them if you want Wii U-exclusive functionality, which you were told Wii games would never have access to before you even had the opportunity to buy a Wii U.

This is true. Really, this is only something that you can argue about based on a principle of personal entitlement. I don't really think that's a bad thing. But arguing about it here is pretty useless.
---
#19darkjedilinkPosted 1/27/2013 1:17:09 PM
DifferentialEquation posted...
Point #4 has nothing to do with the debate.

Actually, it does. The argument has been made that Nintendo shouldn't even OFFER the games because of how old they are.

Most gamers started at the PS1 or later, and have never played anything from the 16-bit era or older.

And I like how for point #5, you conveniently leave out the part where the author likens the situation to expecting dvd upgrades of vhs tapes (consequently proving that she's an idiot).

Saying you should get Wii U VC for free because you bought Wii VC is just as valid as saying you should get DVD content for free because you bought a VHS, or Blu-Ray content because you bought a DVD. Just because you don't want to admit that your argument is absolutely moronic, doesn't make this any less true.
---
#20darkjedilinkPosted 1/27/2013 1:20:48 PM
GloryChaos posted...
darkjedilink posted...
GloryChaos posted...

This is true. Really, this is only something that you can argue about based on a principle of personal entitlement. I don't really think that's a bad thing. But arguing about it here is pretty useless.

As I've said before, I have no problem with WANTING it to be free. Hell, I WANT every Wii U game to be free, just so I can have them all. However, I am in no way ENTITLED to any game to be free, or for Wii U VC to be free under any circumstance.

Just to be clear, nobody was even in any way entitled to being able to play Wii VC or Wii games in general AT ALL on the Wii U, up until the moment Nintendo said it would be available. However, they never said you'd be able to play any of that with Wii U exclusive features, and in fact told us exactly the opposite. This thereby nullifies any argument about what they "should" have done in this regard.
---