Resolution is not a huge deal

#1Lemmywinks13Posted 1/27/2013 1:59:54 PM
I see arguments on here all the time wondering whether or not a certain game is sub 720p, 720p, 1080p, etc...

If it was such a big deal then people would need to ask, they would just know. The fact people have no idea what resolution a game is running in shows that there is not a big enough difference to tell. I know I was watching my Directv on 720p for a long time as I switched it on accident, and I never knew until I saw it was lit up on the receiver wrong lol. Couldn't tell when I switched it back either.
#2GigantLuffyPosted 1/27/2013 2:01:40 PM
Resolution is a big deal. Ever played Deus Ex Human Revolution in SD? The text is microscopic!
---
"STRANGE ISN'T IT" - Sonikku za Hejjihoggu
UnOfficial Getter Robo of anything ever
#3CaptainMoosePosted 1/27/2013 2:02:17 PM
That's true.
The trolls are just looking for bait since that ND took away most of their ammo (has no games aka ps vita syndrome).
#4Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:04:15 PM
GigantLuffy posted...
Resolution is a big deal. Ever played Deus Ex Human Revolution in SD? The text is microscopic!

Ok, it does matter when comparing SD to HD. I just mean the different HD resolutions so far have not shown me much of a difference. I never knew til a couple years ago that most console games weren't actually weren't running in 1080p. Never cared and still don't. They still look awesome.
#5GigantLuffyPosted 1/27/2013 2:06:54 PM
Lemmywinks13 posted...
GigantLuffy posted...

Ok, it does matter when comparing SD to HD. I just mean the different HD resolutions so far have not shown me much of a difference. I never knew til a couple years ago that most console games weren't actually weren't running in 1080p. Never cared and still don't. They still look awesome.

In that case, I agree. Never really cared about comparing 720 to 1080....

UNLESS IT'S 4K, the magic number that could start flame wars XD.
---
"STRANGE ISN'T IT" - Sonikku za Hejjihoggu
UnOfficial Getter Robo of anything ever
#6Shadowbird_RHPosted 1/27/2013 2:07:50 PM
Resolution is a plus, something to expect more of as technology advances, but never a deciding factor, and only something to get your panties in a bunch over if whining interests you more than gaming.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#7SkyCrackersPosted 1/27/2013 2:11:00 PM
Resolution wouldn't be a deciding factor in any game purchase(unless it's a remake like WWHD), but personally, I can tell the difference between 640p, 960x720p, 1280x720p, and 1080p. I couldn't look at a game offhand and tell you its exact resolution, but I'd be in the ballpark. Resolution wouldn't be a big deal if games had better AA so the jaggies weren't so obvious. But so many games still have problems with aliasing.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#8Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:14:01 PM
GigantLuffy posted...
Lemmywinks13 posted...
GigantLuffy posted...

In that case, I agree. Never really cared about comparing 720 to 1080....

UNLESS IT'S 4K, the magic number that could start flame wars XD.

Well we won't have to worry about that for at least 5 years.
#9Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:14:43 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
Resolution wouldn't be a deciding factor in any game purchase(unless it's a remake like WWHD), but personally, I can tell the difference between 640p, 960x720p, 1280x720p, and 1080p. I couldn't look at a game offhand and tell you its exact resolution, but I'd be in the ballpark. Resolution wouldn't be a big deal if games had better AA so the jaggies weren't so obvious. But so many games still have problems with aliasing.

I guess growing up with Atari and NES makes me care less about jaggies and that sort of thing.
#10MelbrankoPosted 1/27/2013 2:18:08 PM(edited)
Lemmywinks13 posted...

I never knew til a couple years ago that most console games weren't actually weren't running in 1080p. Never cared and still don't. They still look awesome.

Ignorance is bliss.

Basically every modern TV is 1080p, upscaling is awful.
720p upcaled: http://i1.minus.com/iJe5U2RSd9gRg.png
Native 1080p: http://i.minus.com/ibeZ7hjeCeDmLV.png
Console: http://i5.minus.com/i2CQSImDT6LCt.png
PC: http://i.minus.com/i397ekfcsaofa.png

Personally, I don't like the look of Vaseline spread on my display

Resolution shouldn't stop you from buying a game, I'll still buy and enjoy Bayonetta 2 and whatever new exclusives the Wii U will get.
However, when I am given the choice between having a game look like trash and having a clean image, I will choose the better image.