Do Nintendo 1st party games ever fail to make a profit?

#11Elements012894Posted 1/28/2013 1:26:57 AM
slickvic1990 posted...
star_guy_100 posted...
i actually liked metroid other m alot. but it was pretty hated and dropped in price pretty fast. i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt make a profit.

but wasn't it developed by Team Ninja? would that count as a first party game?

Co developed. The Super Metroid creator was on board with the game too.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#12ElectricMolePosted 1/28/2013 1:44:52 AM
Hotel Dusk
Trace Memory
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#13derekfishbowlPosted 1/28/2013 1:52:13 AM
ElectricMole posted...
Hotel Dusk
Trace Memory

Nintendo didn't develop those games, just published them.
---
Sony's E3 2013 megaton (courtesy of Megaman Omega):
http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=350248936_strengthmitten_122_82lo.jpg
#14GamerguymassPosted 1/28/2013 1:56:55 AM
star_guy_100 posted...
i actually liked metroid other m alot. but it was pretty hated and dropped in price pretty fast. i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt make a profit.

I think Best Buy is still selling it for 50 bucks brand new. Might be 40 now. I wish I had got it used for five bucks when they had some sale a while ago. I don't know what it is but for some reason Wii games aren't dropping in price. At all. This is the only time I have seen in the past 15+ years where Nintendo 1st party games are still being sold for full price literally years after release. I just don't want to pay 50 bucks for Super Mario Galaxy 2 after its been out for 2 1/2 years.

slickvic1990 posted...
star_guy_100 posted...

but wasn't it developed by Team Ninja? would that count as a first party game?

If Nintendo owns Team Ninja, or a majority of them at least, then they are considered to be second party. That was the case with Rare back in the N64 and early GameCube days.

RIP Rare, for you have sucked the big one for years now. :-(
#15sentoworfPosted 1/28/2013 1:57:10 AM
Does Sin and Punishment 2 count? I dunno how much that sold though tbh.
---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#16DarthFloaty(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 2:07:58 AM
By the sound of things, no major Nintendo game they've ever developed has failed to make a profit. Unless someone could point one out.

Other M is kinda iffy. Nintendo doesn't own Team Ninja, as I understand it. Although it could be an example.
#17Thunderbird8Posted 1/28/2013 2:11:10 AM
Gamerguymass posted...
If Nintendo owns Team Ninja, or a majority of them at least, then they are considered to be second party. That was the case with Rare back in the N64 and early GameCube days.

Team Ninja is Tecmo.
#18GamerguymassPosted 1/28/2013 2:15:32 AM
Thunderbird8 posted...
Gamerguymass posted...

Team Ninja is Tecmo.

Yeah I forgot, should have known that sounded familiar. Funny though how what is considered to be the worst Metroid game ever was created by the company that is praised for being super awesome all the time because they made Ninja Gaiden.
#19SolisPosted 1/28/2013 3:08:31 AM
I'm sure there's been a number of their titles that haven't done well financially. Disaster: Day of Crisis probably didn't make back its development cost (it didn't even do well enough for them to justify the cost of localizing it for the US, and that's after the game itself was already finished). Possibly some of their others that went largely ignored after release, like ExciteBots and Battalion Wars 2. More than likely there were plenty in previous generations that didn't make back the cost of release either. I doubt any of their Virtual Boy games did.

Gamerguymass posted...

RIP Rare, for you have sucked the big one for years now. :-(

Nintendo never owned a majority of Rare, actually.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#20phineasfoolPosted 1/28/2013 7:56:18 AM
Gamerguymass posted...
star_guy_100 posted...

I think Best Buy is still selling it for 50 bucks brand new. Might be 40 now. I wish I had got it used for five bucks when they had some sale a while ago. I don't know what it is but for some reason Wii games aren't dropping in price. At all. This is the only time I have seen in the past 15+ years where Nintendo 1st party games are still being sold for full price literally years after release. I just don't want to pay 50 bucks for Super Mario Galaxy 2 after its been out for 2 1/2 years.

Gamestop sells Metroid Other M for $10 new.
---
PSN - phineasfool GT- phineasfool NNID - phineasfool