So do you think this will be Nintendo's time (Core Gamer Wise)?

#1ValzacardXPosted 1/28/2013 1:15:33 AM
We all know sales wise Nintendo came out on top, but no more do being the more casual system that didn't cater to what is considered a the core audience. Though the Wii was home to hits like Xenoblade, Super Smash bros, and the rest of the tried and true Nintendo franchises there were far to many times where there was a lull in games that wasn't shovel ware. I know a lot of people that said once they had there feel of a title(SSBB, Mario Kart, Golden Eye ect) they never touched there Wii again sans for Netflix.

Now with the 3DS having the handheld market on lock, and a some great titles announced and more to come do you expect to to able to compete with the 360/PS3 in their last stride, and then be able to keep it up when the new versions come out? Right not its main libray is multiplats with some being sub par compared to their counterparts. We know the predestined Super Smash bros, Zelda, Mario, ect are going to move units, but even with the added tech, do you see Nintendo keeping the momentum going once those titles lose their steam?
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement
#2diggyfreshPosted 1/28/2013 1:18:25 AM
Nope. And the reason is simple. Nintendo is making their own rules. If they did make this "Nintendo's Time" in respect to core gamers it would be a true accident. Maybe even a happy accident. Like Bob Ross' happy little clouds.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#3crowe_1Posted 1/28/2013 8:08:55 AM(edited)
THIS is the way to start a discussion about Wii Us future without being offensive, unnecessarily catastrophizing, or totally discounting valid criticisms. Good job, TC.

On topic, I think the Wii U will stick around for at least a few years, and have more than enough games to justify a purchase for most of us. Nintendo has a lot of options for improving their experience at this point, and they have the cash to sink into Wii U if need-be if the post-Christmas sales don't improve. It IS normal for a sales slump after Christmas, though the current slump is a little more severe than expected. Still not nearly enough to declare the console dead as some people around here are claiming.

An unknown factor at this point is what the next Sony and MS consoles will bring to the table in comparison to the Wii U, but at the end of the day I doubt the ignorant masses will sweat the little stuff when choosing a console. Brand power counts for a lot, and I honestly still believe that Nintendo has an edge in that department to your average Joe when they think about video games. It's because of this belief, combined with the apparent somewhat underwhelming performance of the Wii U lately in terms of sales, that I sort of suspect that none of the 8th gen consoles will put up sales numbers like the 7th gen.

People are either happy with what they have or are content to get their gaming fix on increasingly competent tablets and smartphones. I see Wii Us less-than-amazing sales numbers less as a failure of that console or of Nintendo's, but as a general change in the times in terms of the sheer number of ways to play now compared to five years ago. Consoles just aren't AS essential when you can sit and play a huge variety of games on your iPad. It won't kill console gaming or anything, but it's starting to make a dent.

I also don't see the graphical improvements presumed to be offered by PS4 and Xbox 3 as being as much of a draw to buy the consoles as in previous years, simply because the difference won't be as apparent in the advertising. The visuals might be mind blowing, but watching adverts in 720p over cable or streaming online is not going to get the point across to the masses, who account for most of the sales of any console.

I could be totally wrong obviously, but those are my purely speculative thoughts on it.

EDIT: I realize after reading that over that I was talking a lot about sales and not games, but in most cases a console with a large userbase relative to the competition will get a lot of quality games, so sales ARE relevant. That was my line of thinking.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#4ValzacardX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 11:28:34 AM
THIS is the way to start a discussion about Wii Us future without being offensive, unnecessarily catastrophizing, or totally discounting valid criticisms. Good job, TC.

On topic, I think the Wii U will stick around for at least a few years, and have more than enough games to justify a purchase for most of us. Nintendo has a lot of options for improving their experience at this point, and they have the cash to sink into Wii U if need-be if the post-Christmas sales don't improve. It IS normal for a sales slump after Christmas, though the current slump is a little more severe than expected. Still not nearly enough to declare the console dead as some people around here are claiming.

An unknown factor at this point is what the next Sony and MS consoles will bring to the table in comparison to the Wii U, but at the end of the day I doubt the ignorant masses will sweat the little stuff when choosing a console. Brand power counts for a lot, and I honestly still believe that Nintendo has an edge in that department to your average Joe when they think about video games. It's because of this belief, combined with the apparent somewhat underwhelming performance of the Wii U lately in terms of sales, that I sort of suspect that none of the 8th gen consoles will put up sales numbers like the 7th gen.

People are either happy with what they have or are content to get their gaming fix on increasingly competent tablets and smartphones. I see Wii Us less-than-amazing sales numbers less as a failure of that console or of Nintendo's, but as a general change in the times in terms of the sheer number of ways to play now compared to five years ago. Consoles just aren't AS essential when you can sit and play a huge variety of games on your iPad. It won't kill console gaming or anything, but it's starting to make a dent.

I also don't see the graphical improvements presumed to be offered by PS4 and Xbox 3 as being as much of a draw to buy the consoles as in previous years, simply because the difference won't be as apparent in the advertising. The visuals might be mind blowing, but watching adverts in 720p over cable or streaming online is not going to get the point across to the masses, who account for most of the sales of any console.

I could be totally wrong obviously, but those are my purely speculative thoughts on it.

EDIT: I realize after reading that over that I was talking a lot about sales and not games, but in most cases a console with a large userbase relative to the competition will get a lot of quality games, so sales ARE relevant. That was my line of thinking.

Agree, and talking about sales is fine also. Another I was bring up, that now that's its would how many would choese as there first console? I know a lot of people who only system is a Wii or PS2, but always wanted to play games like Call of Duty, or Batman AC ect. I wonder if the Wii U will be like the Vita for a bit and obviously pick up when must have games come out and keep the stride, or slump back down. Right now I'm not touching a Wii U till Bayonetta 2 is out and I also have a huge backlog I want to finish on the Wii U since the Wii is always being used by the family. But as someone is not into Mario, the Wii U has nothing really going for it exclusive wise for me in till at least 4-5 months for now(I know Monster Hunter is dropping), so my Wii backlog and and future titles are whats selling me on the console, but what about everyone else?
---
GT:Kahlilx77,
The internet, where common sense is a monumental achievement