Nintendo and Sega should get together and make a Mario/Sonic paltformer.

#21656stooge(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:43:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2rkf0qfVE

Well that kind of works. It at least shows that when it come to platforming the two don't behave that different. Obviously if you're going to try and work Sonic's speed into the mix then the levels will need to be more linear, so I was thinking something along the lines of SM3DL would be a good starting point.

And take the Sonic Heroes idea and allow the player to swap between the two at will and you could come up with some interesting levels that cater to both Mario's power-up abilities and Sonic's speed.

Another idea would be Sonic CD but in a 3D environment. So levels that loop back on each other and require you find certain items to advance.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#22MD1500Posted 1/29/2013 9:59:21 AM
Doesn't make sense for Nintendo

Mario is far more popular than Sonic, so why would they bother?
If they made it, it would be the best selling Sonic game ever - and they'd have to give half their profits to SEGA. A Mario game selling well is normal.
#23SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/29/2013 2:32:56 PM
Yes RPG would work
#24jmichaelbpPosted 1/29/2013 2:34:40 PM
wingo84 posted...
They should get together and make a console

Which would involve Nintendo getting married to Sega, right?
---
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee." - In memory of Chuck, the wisest boxcar hobo of all time from Telltale's The Walking Dead.
#25DrumguyPosted 1/29/2013 3:08:31 PM
What's a paltformer??
#26jmichaelbpPosted 1/29/2013 3:15:51 PM
Drumguy posted...
What's a paltformer??

You form palts, a swedish meat-filled dumpling.
---
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee." - In memory of Chuck, the wisest boxcar hobo of all time from Telltale's The Walking Dead.
#27robinhoekPosted 1/29/2013 3:16:26 PM
darkjedilink posted...
I don't see it. Sonic levels wouldn't work for Mario platforming, and Mario levels won't be able to show off Sonic's speed.

The only way I can see to do such would be to trade off between them - Mario level with Mario, then a Sonic level, then Mario for a while, then Sonic, so on and so forth. I just don't see how that would be any good.

You're just jaded by the poor level design prevalent in most current gen video games.
#28NickTheBlitzPosted 1/29/2013 3:36:46 PM
The real problem is the level design (only talking about Genesis Sonic in this regard, not modern). The speed and general mechanics of each character could be compromised very easily, so I don't really count that as a problem, so much as a decision that needs to be made. Which power-up system should prevail? If Sonic is technically invincible so long as he retains one ring, how do you buffer Mario to keep it balanced? etc.

Mario's physics aren't built to handle half-pipes and loops, even though SMW on the SNES toyed with the idea a little. Conversely, Sonic could blast through the average Mario level with ease. Mario's level design consist of block platforming and tricky jumps; Sonic's level design consist of branching paths and usually the absence of bottomless pits. Where a Mario game is based on a lot of short romps, Sonic games are based on long levels in a short amount of areas. So making a platformer that stars both characters could create issues in it's level design.

I really think the idea can and should be done. Personally, I would only be satisfied if it were a game that allowed Mario and Sonic to be played simultaneously (ie, like NSMBW). If it were some Sonic Generations-type character switch, I'd feel like I was just playing two different games mixed together.

In the end, though, the only way it would really work is if one party compromised it's mechanics into another. Which could leave a sour taste in the mouth of fans.
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
Check out my webcomic! http://www.drunkduck.com/La_Vie_a_la_Mode
#29Awesomely Awesome AJPosted 1/29/2013 3:40:41 PM
I imagine a Mario / Sonic RPG would kinda be a sequel to Mario RPG. It would have to be treated as an AAA title with voice acting and tons of damn fan service.

You could have Mario, Luigi, and Peach as selectable Mario characters and Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as selectable Sonic characters. Each with their own special techniques and equipment. You could even include summons in the form of other Nintendo / SEGA franchise characters
---
3DS 1160-9716-6904 Gamer Tag: AwesomeAJ x8
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/heaven.gif?w=504&h=285
#30robinhoekPosted 1/29/2013 4:30:46 PM
NickTheBlitz posted...
The real problem is the level design (only talking about Genesis Sonic in this regard, not modern). The speed and general mechanics of each character could be compromised very easily, so I don't really count that as a problem, so much as a decision that needs to be made. Which power-up system should prevail? If Sonic is technically invincible so long as he retains one ring, how do you buffer Mario to keep it balanced? etc.

Mario's physics aren't built to handle half-pipes and loops, even though SMW on the SNES toyed with the idea a little. Conversely, Sonic could blast through the average Mario level with ease. Mario's level design consist of block platforming and tricky jumps; Sonic's level design consist of branching paths and usually the absence of bottomless pits. Where a Mario game is based on a lot of short romps, Sonic games are based on long levels in a short amount of areas. So making a platformer that stars both characters could create issues in it's level design.

I really think the idea can and should be done. Personally, I would only be satisfied if it were a game that allowed Mario and Sonic to be played simultaneously (ie, like NSMBW). If it were some Sonic Generations-type character switch, I'd feel like I was just playing two different games mixed together.

In the end, though, the only way it would really work is if one party compromised it's mechanics into another. Which could leave a sour taste in the mouth of fans.

There are ways to achieve a balance. A swap out system or additional power ups. Mario World 2 had a power up where Mario could run around a circular room for instance.