Wii U's virtual console games won't work with older save files.

#141SkyCrackersPosted 1/29/2013 7:21:40 AM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...

I'm not a pirate, sorry. I don't download anything current. But nes, snes, n64? Its all ancient as hell, they make no effort to upscale the games or update the textures, and they even render in the crappy original res if you go through nintendo and their VC to get the games. I physically own all the best nes,snes, and n64 games and I just would rather play them in a better native res and not have six tons of hardware taking up shelf space, leeching volts on my electric bill, and all that crap.

Cry about it. I really don't care. I'm not buying games I already own or already bought once or twice. Not happening.

If you've already bought the games in some form or another, then be my guest, emulate them. I enjoy playing modded versions of old Nintendo games I've already bought. But pirating to avoid paying altogether is selfish and s*****y.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#142BlazeFaiaPosted 1/29/2013 12:19:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#143JoeHigashi2000Posted 1/29/2013 12:42:00 PM
Thank you for the info TC. Also this is done to prevent those with modified systems to be able to try and transfer pirated VC games to Wii U VC and still use their original saves that they could cheat in with homebrew.
---
GT: J03HIG45HI PS3/Vita: JoeHigashi2000 3DS: 0817-3804-7210
#144Baha05Posted 1/29/2013 12:49:19 PM
JoeHigashi2000 posted...
Thank you for the info TC. Also this is done to prevent those with modified systems to be able to try and transfer pirated VC games to Wii U VC and still use their original saves that they could cheat in with homebrew.

Nintendo could have done patches though
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#145DiscostewSMPosted 1/29/2013 1:03:44 PM
Baha05 posted...
JoeHigashi2000 posted...

Nintendo could have done patches though

Please tell me you aren't talking about patching the games themselves....please tell me...
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#146Baha05Posted 1/29/2013 1:06:07 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Please tell me you aren't talking about patching the games themselves....please tell me...

Well that too but really? Not even going to attempt to move the saves over Nintendo?
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#147TheBonfiniPosted 1/29/2013 1:12:49 PM
Nintendo doesn't seem to be all about smiles.

Why can't they invest some of their billions into someone who knows how to do this minor task.

Now they want people to pay for games they already own just to use the features of the new system, AND you can't even carry on?

Who cares about this anyways. No one is going to pay for it now.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#148Beatperson14Posted 1/29/2013 1:13:17 PM
This is getting ridiculous... I almost feel bad for them now
#149DiscostewSMPosted 1/29/2013 1:22:19 PM
Baha05 posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

Well that too but really? Not even going to attempt to move the saves over Nintendo?

The reason they can't patch the games themselves (not the emulator) is because of how they were developed. ASM is the primary language for those, and that was basically machine code programming at the instruction level. ASM is not commonly used nowadays because of the rise of more structured programming languages. And patches aren't methods of making a game (itself or enclosed in an emulator) work on different platforms. Re-compiling with the proper connections to the hardware is the correct approach.

The SRAM may be a small amount of data, but unless I'm mistaken, the saves are embedded into the channel of the VC game, and its location within the channel varies, which the emulator knows where it is. This is one reason why each emulator varies, even for individual games from the same platform. If Nintendo were to attempt save extraction, they would have to do this for each individual game, and that is not a logical use of their time. And since the Wii mode has been hacked, people could attempt to exploit the system if the transfer process were to examine the emulator find the save location and grab the saves. That in itself is probably the best reason why they aren't transferring the saves. Not because they can't, but because they shouldn't.

Not having your saves transfer over is an inconvenience on your part, not a sign of incompetence on theirs.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#150YamiYugi4400(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:04:43 AM
hi
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!