Wii U's virtual console games won't work with older save files.

#21Poopcorn13Posted 1/28/2013 2:40:51 PM
darkjedilink posted...
No, you won't lose your data. You're save data is still safely kept in Wii Mode, with your Wii VC version of the game.

You lose NOTHING by buying LttP on Wii U VC if you already own it on Wii Mode.

Wow, really?

I KNOW that my save data stays in Wii mode VC. That's not my problem.

Unless the article straight-up lied, I CAN'T use the save data that's on the Wii mode VC for the Wii U VC version. THAT'S my concern.

I don't care to use it on Wii mode, I want to use it on Wii U's VC emulator but what's the point if that data stays on Wii mode? That's why I need to finish the game before I justify the upgrade.
---
You am no real super sand. - Virginia
#22darkjedilinkPosted 1/28/2013 2:43:20 PM
Poopcorn13 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
No, you won't lose your data. You're save data is still safely kept in Wii Mode, with your Wii VC version of the game.

Wow, really?

Unless the article straight-up lied, I CAN'T use the save data that's on the Wii mode VC for the Wii U VC version. THAT'S my concern.

I don't care to use it on Wii mode, I want to use it on Wii U's VC emulator but what's the point if that data stays on Wii mode? That's why I need to finish the game before I justify the upgrade.

What the hell ever made you think you WOULD be able to use your Wii VC save outside of Wii Mode?

The Wii U doesn't HAVE a VC emulator. Each game comes with its own custom emulator. If you own one NES VC game, you have one NES emulator, just for that game. If you have thirty NES games, you have thirty individual NES emulators, each one specifically tailored for the game it comes with.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#23Baha05Posted 1/28/2013 2:44:21 PM
darkjedilink posted...
What the hell ever made you think you WOULD be able to use your Wii VC save outside of Wii Mode?

The Wii U doesn't HAVE a VC emulator. Each game comes with its own custom emulator. If you own one NES VC game, you have one NES emulator, just for that game. If you have thirty NES games, you have thirty individual NES emulators, each one specifically tailored for the game it comes with.

Advancement in technology?
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#24GloryChaosPosted 1/28/2013 2:47:00 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna chalk this up to incompetence.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#25DiscostewSMPosted 1/28/2013 2:47:14 PM
Had the "upgrade" process required that you have the game installed on your Wii mode so it would extract the game from there and write it into a Wii U VC channel, then I'd understand why people might think it stupid not to transfer over the saves as well. Unfortunately, that process of upgrading is stupid, as it would easily allow possible hacks to be introduced with people having already hacked into the Wii mode.

Instead, they match the unique signature that the Wii mode has with their Wii Shop database through the eShop to find if you own the game (installed or not), and downloads a completely new copy of the game already formatted to Wii U specifications. It touches neither then game nor saves in the Wii mode.

If anything, this is an exploit prevention method.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#26Poopcorn13Posted 1/28/2013 2:51:53 PM
darkjedilink posted...
Poopcorn13 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Wow, really?

Oh well. Save for your facts. I wished for something to make the process more convenient and I didn't get it. I'm not damning Nintendo for this one thing but I'm not going to sit here and not think that this could have been a lighter effort for something like this.

But whatever, Nintendo can do no wrong.
---
You am no real super sand. - Virginia
#27Banjo2553Posted 1/28/2013 2:54:02 PM
Well, that sucks.

I really wish Nintendo had spent more time on the Wii backwards compatibility so we wouldn't have this Wii Mode nonsense. :/
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#282wingedangelPosted 1/28/2013 2:57:05 PM
Because it's a different copy on a different OS? I don't expect my friend's game to be exactly where I am just because the title is the same.
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
Black 2 FC: 4213-1800-0462
#29rockyminPosted 1/28/2013 2:57:24 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Had the "upgrade" process required that you have the game installed on your Wii mode so it would extract the game from there and write it into a Wii U VC channel, then I'd understand why people might think it stupid not to transfer over the saves as well. Unfortunately, that process of upgrading is stupid, as it would easily allow possible hacks to be introduced with people having already hacked into the Wii mode.

Instead, they match the unique signature that the Wii mode has with their Wii Shop database through the eShop to find if you own the game (installed or not), and downloads a completely new copy of the game already formatted to Wii U specifications. It touches neither then game nor saves in the Wii mode.

If anything, this is an exploit prevention method.

Um, it DOES require you have the game installed on your Wii mode. How else is the eshop going to know to charge you $1 instead of $5.
---
"you cant call it piracy if they wont sell it to you in the first place." -Fallenswords
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile
#30darkjedilinkPosted 1/28/2013 2:58:30 PM
Poopcorn13 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
Poopcorn13 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Wow, really?

Oh well. Save for your facts. I wished for something to make the process more convenient and I didn't get it. I'm not damning Nintendo for this one thing but I'm not going to sit here and not think that this could have been a lighter effort for something like this.

But whatever, Nintendo can do no wrong.

Butthurt much?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie