Wii U's virtual console games won't work with older save files.

#51DiscostewSMPosted 1/28/2013 2:30:19 PM
rockymin posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Had the "upgrade" process required that you have the game installed on your Wii mode so it would extract the game from there and write it into a Wii U VC channel, then I'd understand why people might think it stupid not to transfer over the saves as well. Unfortunately, that process of upgrading is stupid, as it would easily allow possible hacks to be introduced with people having already hacked into the Wii mode.

Instead, they match the unique signature that the Wii mode has with their Wii Shop database through the eShop to find if you own the game (installed or not), and downloads a completely new copy of the game already formatted to Wii U specifications. It touches neither then game nor saves in the Wii mode.

If anything, this is an exploit prevention method.

Um, it DOES require you have the game installed on your Wii mode. How else is the eshop going to know to charge you $1 instead of $5.

My experience with transferring games over from my Wii to Wii mode of Wii U proves the opposite. I had done some things on my Wii that ended up wiping all information of a particular WiiWare game that I legitimately bought, rendering me unable to redownload it to my Wii. The game was shown in my purchase history on their servers, but the record on my Wii was not there, so it couldn't match it. However, when I used the transfer utility to move my games from my Wii to WiiWare, it transferred over the record of that WiiWare purchase to the Wii mode, and I was able to download it with no problems.

tl;dr

My Wii had no record of a game after I did something stupid, but the transfer utility checked only the purchase record on their servers to make the Wii mode transferable.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#52darkjedilinkPosted 1/28/2013 2:30:43 PM
icarus231 posted...
Baha05 posted...
icarus231 posted...
Its not the wii games it the vc games that are not the same games but a newer version you upgrade to

Exceot they aren't newer versions. Newer version would be if you bought OoT for the Wii that the Wii U version would have OoT 3D's graphical upgrades.

It is new you get miiverse and gamepad support for that $1, if you dont want it you pay nothing. Think of it as buying dlc if that helps. i realize this is hard to grasp for some.

Not to mention that OoT on it likely WOULD get the graphical upgrades.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#53Skul_Posted 1/28/2013 2:30:55 PM
Lame.
---
cave story is a nes or snes port-DemonDog666
i5-2500-GTX550TI-8GB; DSi; 3DS; GBASP; Wii;Galaxy SIII; iPod Touch 4th Gen;
#54AhnoldDoodPosted 1/28/2013 2:31:56 PM
Baha05 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Except that the VC on Wii U and Wii are not the same VC.

By your logic, my, lets say, Chrono Trigger PS3 save file should work on my Wii since both PSN and VC are digital and are the same game.

The emulators maybe but the games are the same.'
Also you guys really need to stop with such stupid ass rebuttals like that. Obviously this applies to saves of a specific console and not multiplatforms. Also even worse is you used Chrono Trigger and both the PS One and SNES versions are different games.

There was a PS1 Chrono Trigger?

Anyways, point still stands. Wii -> Wii U save file transfer won't work since the Wii stuff goes into Wii Mode, and, technically, Wii Mode and Wii U Mode two separate consoles.
#55Baha05Posted 1/28/2013 2:31:59 PM
darkjedilink posted...

AHAHAHHAHAHAHA no
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#56Soanevalcke6Posted 1/28/2013 2:32:55 PM
darkjedilink posted...
icarus231 posted...
Baha05 posted...
icarus231 posted...
Its not the wii games it the vc games that are not the same games but a newer version you upgrade to

Exceot they aren't newer versions. Newer version would be if you bought OoT for the Wii that the Wii U version would have OoT 3D's graphical upgrades.

It is new you get miiverse and gamepad support for that $1, if you dont want it you pay nothing. Think of it as buying dlc if that helps. i realize this is hard to grasp for some.

That's not how emulators work.
---
They made a moon base to survey my standards but they have yet to make visual contact.
PSN/NNID/Steam: Soanevalcke6 // http://www.backloggery.com/soanevalcke6
#57Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 1/28/2013 2:33:29 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Lets see how the fanboys defend this one.

There is no defending it, this is a screw up, at best maybe they can fix it

Told ya so.

StarBladeEdge posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Lets see how the fanboys defend this one.

there is nothing to defend fool. stop pulling out every single **** out of your *** against nintendo. then people have to start over , easy as that. if they love these games so much i don't see the problem. now scram.and get a job. with all your trolling and posting/searching anti nintendo **** , don't tell me you work.

enough of this kindergarten bs

I'm going to need you to calm down.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#58Baha05Posted 1/28/2013 2:34:07 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
There was a PS1 Chrono Trigger?

Anyways, point still stands. Wii -> Wii U save file transfer won't work since the Wii stuff goes into Wii Mode, and, technically, Wii Mode and Wii U Mode two separate consoles.

Yeah it was part of FF Chronicles Packaged with FFIV. It had really slow load times and the Anime Cut scenes, which are in the definitive DS version.

But the thing is this method shows how incompetent Nintendo is with VC, this should have been merged from the get go, not two separate modes. The 3DS doesn't even do that.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#59RahzarXPosted 1/28/2013 2:36:59 PM
Just beat the games before the new VC comes out.

I fix everything.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#60darkjedilinkPosted 1/28/2013 2:37:30 PM
Soanevalcke6 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
icarus231 posted...
Baha05 posted...
icarus231 posted...

That's not how emulators work.

That's because emulators are trying to exactly replicate the console's functions to get a particular ROM to work. VC doesn't work that way - they have different code that doesn't try to "replicate" the console, but instead makes the game itself work directly with the new hardware. The bonus, at least for N64 games, is that the game will render in whatever the output resolution of the console is. Since the textures of most N64 games were limited by the hardware, the textures, too, would improve.

Now, I will admit that it likely wouldn't look exactly like OoT3D, it would look far better than the Wii version does with Nintendo doing nothing more than doing their normal VC porting. This is backed up by the fact that N64 VC almost always look better than the original games on the N64.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie