Wii U's virtual console games won't work with older save files.

#61AhnoldDoodPosted 1/28/2013 3:37:33 PM
Baha05 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
There was a PS1 Chrono Trigger?

Anyways, point still stands. Wii -> Wii U save file transfer won't work since the Wii stuff goes into Wii Mode, and, technically, Wii Mode and Wii U Mode two separate consoles.

Yeah it was part of FF Chronicles Packaged with FFIV. It had really slow load times and the Anime Cut scenes, which are in the definitive DS version.

But the thing is this method shows how incompetent Nintendo is with VC, this should have been merged from the get go, not two separate modes. The 3DS doesn't even do that.

The 3DS does do that. DS Mode and 3DS Mode are separate modes. And it isn't "incompetent", its inconveient - for you. The BC on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS is basically having two consoles at the same time, compared to your vision of a console that plays another console's games.
#62DiscostewSMPosted 1/28/2013 3:38:27 PM
When the VC games makes a save file (not save state), it isn't just storing the raw SRAM like PC emulators do. It is writing more information that the emulator requires, and both that and the save data are combined together. It isn't a simple copy/paste operation, and since the "upgrade" isn't even touching the original game to get a fresh copy to begin with, it won't touch anything else either.

The transfer utility from Wii to Wii mode copied saves because they were already in the proper format.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#63-NotoriousLynxPosted 1/28/2013 3:39:40 PM
Doesn't affect me. Never used the virtual console before. Sucks for all of you though.
#64Baha05Posted 1/28/2013 3:39:58 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
The 3DS does do that. DS Mode and 3DS Mode are separate modes. And it isn't "incompetent", its inconveient - for you. The BC on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS is basically having two consoles at the same time, compared to your vision of a console that plays another console's games.

Except it doesn't have a DS Mode like the WiiU has a Wii Mode. I pop in a DS Game it plays it, I don't need to go through some BS menu. And no it's incompetence, Nintendo has been around for 30 year in the console industry.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#65AhnoldDoodPosted 1/28/2013 3:42:44 PM
Baha05 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Except it doesn't have a DS Mode like the WiiU has a Wii Mode. I pop in a DS Game it plays it, I don't need to go through some BS menu. And no it's incompetence, Nintendo has been around for 30 year in the console industry.

You do realize that the DS had the ability to skip straight to the game upon load, right?

And they're incompetent because they've been around long? What?
#66Baha05Posted 1/28/2013 3:43:49 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
You do realize that the DS had the ability to skip straight to the game upon load, right?

Yeah and again no need to go through DS Mode as a menu.

And they are incompetent for not figuring out a way to merge Wii games onto the Wii U menu.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#67DiscostewSMPosted 1/28/2013 3:45:25 PM
Baha05 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

And they are incompetent for not figuring out a way to merge Wii games onto the Wii U menu.

Because you know exactly how it should be done at the code level, right?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#68Baha05Posted 1/28/2013 3:46:38 PM
DiscostewSM posted...

Nope but apparently Sony and Microsoft has and they are on their 3rd and second system. Nintendo is on their 6th
---
#69Soanevalcke6Posted 1/28/2013 3:47:30 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Baha05 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

It's irrelevant if he knows how to do it, What matters is that Nintendo should know, and if they honestly can't manage to transfer a save file, it is incompetence.
---
They made a moon base to survey my standards but they have yet to make visual contact.
PSN/NNID/Steam: Soanevalcke6 // http://www.backloggery.com/soanevalcke6
#70AhnoldDoodPosted 1/28/2013 3:48:18 PM
Baha05 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Probably because the options on the DS Menu are already used on the 3DS Menu.

And stop thinking that not having the same idea as you = incompetent. You just want the Wii U to play Wii games. There's an excellent chance of something going wrong there. Should I call you incompetent? No.