Wii U's virtual console games won't work with older save files.

#91mini_blightPosted 1/28/2013 3:37:15 PM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
Emulation wins again

Keeping jumping through nintendos hoops and paying for roms and a lesser experience, suckers.

Pirate, confirmed.

DiscostewSM posted...
Had the "upgrade" process required that you have the game installed on your Wii mode so it would extract the game from there and write it into a Wii U VC channel, then I'd understand why people might think it stupid not to transfer over the saves as well. Unfortunately, that process of upgrading is stupid, as it would easily allow possible hacks to be introduced with people having already hacked into the Wii mode.

Instead, they match the unique signature that the Wii mode has with their Wii Shop database through the eShop to find if you own the game (installed or not), and downloads a completely new copy of the game already formatted to Wii U specifications. It touches neither then game nor saves in the Wii mode.

If anything, this is an exploit prevention method.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Not surprised to see the usual suspects spin it as a negative against Nintendo fans. Any little nitpick they can find will be spammed endlessly to push the tired "Nintendo doesn't care about you" narrative.

Their viral marketing is so last gen.

Kotaku's been on a rampage against Nintendo lately. They must know the truth and are having a stealth public meltdown. Poor babies. What will they do when they run out of nitpicks to pass off as professional articles? Will they finally die? I can't wait to find out.
#92BlazeFaiaPosted 1/28/2013 3:41:20 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
ITT: Not being perfect in some areas make you all-around incompetent.

Baha never said that. In fact, he's a long time Nintendo supporter. Doesn't mean you have to take everything they do as perfectly fine right?

That being said. I can't transfer my original Xbox save data to my Xbox 360 nor from one 360 to another 360. My Halo 2 saved data on my old Arcade 360 is stuck there forever. There's no way for me to transfer it. So I'm stuck without it or my other Xbox saves on my Slim. Heck, PS1 games work on PS2 but you HAVE to use a PS1 memory card, you can't use the PS2 one. So it's more than just a Nintendo problem and probably not incompetence.
---
Companion Cube for Brawl!
http://i.imgur.com/tjDSN.png
#93mini_blightPosted 1/28/2013 3:47:57 PM
Baha05 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Except that the VC on Wii U and Wii are not the same VC.

By your logic, my, lets say, Chrono Trigger PS3 save file should work on my Wii since both PSN and VC are digital and are the same game.

The emulators maybe but the games are the same.'
Also you guys really need to stop with such stupid ass rebuttals like that. Obviously this applies to saves of a specific console and not multiplatforms. Also even worse is you used Chrono Trigger and both the PS One and SNES versions are different games.

You can't use your PS2 memory cards to save and load your PS1 games on your PS2, even though the PS2 is BC with the PS1. There was no stupid clickbait articles over this or rage from the fanboys. Funny that.

See, it's not "Nintendo can do no wrong." It's "Nintendo can do no right." Nintendo can't get away with the things Sony, MS and Apple get away with.
#94AwayFromHerePosted 1/28/2013 3:53:47 PM

You can't use your PS2 memory cards to save and load your PS1 games on your PS2, even though the PS2 is BC with the PS1. There was no stupid clickbait articles over this or rage from the fanboys. Funny that.

See, it's not "Nintendo can do no wrong." It's "Nintendo can do no right." Nintendo can't get away with the things Sony, MS and Apple get away with.

Maybe not, but PS2 was compatible with PS1 memory cards, and the PS2 cards could be used to save back ups of your PS1 saves.

And I kind of hate to bring up the PS3/PSP/Vita thing again, but you can use your PS1 saves from playing on PS3 on your PSP and Vita. The copy process from PS3 to PSP/Vita converts the save to a PSP/Vita format, and it works from PSP/Vita to PS3 as well.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#95mini_blightPosted 1/28/2013 4:01:42 PM
Baha05 posted...
But the thing is this method shows how incompetent Nintendo is with VC, this should have been merged from the get go, not two separate modes. The 3DS doesn't even do that.

Um, the 3DS does that. Do you even own a 3DS? DS games boot in DS mode.

Keeping separate modes protects the Wii U and 3DS from being hacked. Not forever, but it at least stalls that from happening.

Unless you don't care about either one being hacked?
#96HeroKirbyPosted 1/28/2013 4:12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bUsClFD8ZMg#t=216s

Seriously, is this really a problem?
#97Waggy17Posted 1/28/2013 4:17:53 PM
Zetamancer posted...
Another fail. I'm not too bothered though. I mean, is there any virtual console game that is really long enough to be like "Man, you mean I have to start from the BEGINNING?"

This.

There aren't many games in which the experience will be ruined because the save won't transfer over.

"You mean I have to play some of my favorite games ALL OVER AGAIN! How TERRIBLE!"

God forbid.
---
[iQ]Waggy/Time2Pan[iQ] - 1814-6320-1343 || [PHX]Cinder - 3670-8922-4025 || PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://gephx.webs.com/ || http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#98SkyCrackersPosted 1/28/2013 4:22:19 PM(edited)
You can't transfer your old saves over? Meh, yet another lazy-ass mistake to throw in the Wii U pile. Won't stop me from buying the console when the great games are there, though.

You know what, I don't care, because I was never gonna pay the upgrade fee anyway.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#99mini_blightPosted 1/28/2013 4:24:05 PM
GloryChaos posted...
"There is a problem here. Should we really ignore it?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Becuase that problem exists elsewhere too."

Nice strawman.

The reality is Nintendo gets raked over the coals for things Sony and MS are given a free pass over. If you honestly think Nintendo fans are going to put up with a double standard just because you call them names and put up strawmen, you are sadly mistaken.

Especially when it's about damaging Nintendo's reputation and stock.
#100ZetamancerPosted 1/28/2013 4:27:25 PM
mini_blight posted...
GloryChaos posted...
"There is a problem here. Should we really ignore it?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Becuase that problem exists elsewhere too."

Nice strawman.

The reality is Nintendo gets raked over the coals for things Sony and MS are given a free pass over. If you honestly think Nintendo fans are going to put up with a double standard just because you call them names and put up strawmen, you are sadly mistaken.

Especially when it's about damaging Nintendo's reputation and stock.

Any examples of these double standards?
---
Pokemon Diamond FC: 0517 6756 4359