Nintendo shares jumped after china console ban (lift) rumour..

#41Mirror_AuraPosted 1/28/2013 10:26:06 PM
Eoin posted...
johnnybazookabo posted...
Its the biggest market in the world. By A LOT
It's not though. It's the country with the most people, but right now, for games consoles, that doesn't translate into the biggest market because they're far outside of what a typical person there can afford (and the prices won't be lowered just because of that - look at games prices in Brazil or India). Only a small fraction of people in China will be able to afford a games console and only a fraction of those will actually want one. Now, with a country the size of China, that small fraction may still be lots of people, but it's not going to be the biggest market in the world.

Itt we ramble about stuff hoping people don't see that I have no clue what I'm saying.

From: johnnybazookabo | Posted: 1/28/2013 6:25:26 PM | #009
Whaaat? Usa went bankrupt in 2012 and owes all its money to china. If china called in its debt today us people would be speaking chinese ffs. Read some history and current affairs man. China is the wealthiest nation on earth by trillions. It has more millionaires than all other countries put together. And i said tech savvy cos anywhere u go in china the streets, people and shops are teaming with the latest technology. Half the tech u buy from the internet is either made in china or copied in china. The hong kong market alone is a bigger market than europe

Why are you two acting like Eoin is incorrect...? I've read every post in this topic, and both of you are jokes. Eoin is speaking the truth here, while you two... are not.

some people seriously just need to, well, not be alive. lol.

That's a rather adult sentiment for GameFAQs, MINION21046. But I do agree.
---
The most powerful army, in, HISTORY.
YAAAAAAYYYYY.
#42super_luigi16Posted 1/28/2013 10:32:38 PM
Eoin posted...

It's not though. It's the country with the most people, but right now, for games consoles, that doesn't translate into the biggest market because they're far outside of what a typical person there can afford (and the prices won't be lowered just because of that - look at games prices in Brazil or India). Only a small fraction of people in China will be able to afford a games console and only a fraction of those will actually want one. Now, with a country the size of China, that small fraction may still be lots of people, but it's not going to be the biggest market in the world.

It's one of the fastest growing markets and has HUGE potential for any company of, well, anything! Just because it may not be fully developed yet doesn't mean that it won't rival and maybe even surpass the United States in the near future. If I were an investor, I would be salivating at the chance of getting gaming consoles into China and developing a market that could potentially blossom--even with piracy problems.
---
Luigi > Mario
Current Project
: 2012 FAQ Tournament | Upcoming Project: Luigi's Mansion FAQ
#43EndgamePosted 1/28/2013 10:34:24 PM
woah, what?! I thought console makers never bothered with China because they wouldn't be able to meet demand in China without shafting the rest of the world, not that there was a ban
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#44EoinPosted 1/29/2013 12:29:35 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
Anyone know if Microsoft and Sony's shares jumped as well?

Sony's shares jumped. Microsoft's didn't (presumably investors don't believe MIcrosoft will be playing a massive part in any potential Chinese console market). Might be worth noting that an investor instant guy reaction doesn't necessarily mean that much in any of these cases.
#45bond465Posted 1/29/2013 1:11:29 AM
hellbringher posted...
Eoin posted...

Itt we ramble about stuff hoping people don't see that I have no clue what I'm saying.

yeah pretty much. But he is right in saying that it is not the biggest video game market in the world.
#46EoinPosted 1/29/2013 1:14:35 AM
bond465 posted...
yeah pretty much.

No, not "pretty much" at all. Nothing that I posted was incorrect and nothing was guesswork.
#47Jonbazookaboz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 1:20:31 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#48Jonbazookaboz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 1:21:03 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Whaaat? Usa went bankrupt in 2012 and owes all its money to china. If china called in its debt today us people would be speaking chinese ffs. Read some history and current affairs man. China is the wealthiest nation on earth by trillions. It has more millionaires than all other countries put together. And i said tech savvy cos anywhere u go in china the streets, people and shops are teaming with the latest technology. Half the tech u buy from the internet is either made in china or copied in china. The hong kong market alone is a bigger market than europe

Uh...

Okay, perhaps I ought to clarify some things...

Whaaat? Usa went bankrupt in 2012 and owes all its money to china.
Depending upon your definition of "bankrupt", the USA has either not gone bankrupt, gone bankrupt multiple times since its creation (most recently in 2001), or been bankrupt for its entire existence.

That being said, the USA's national debt is approximately $16 trillion. Of this $16 trillion, about $5 trillion is owed to the USA's own Social Security Trust Fund, leaving about $11 trillion for all domestic and foreign investors, including other countries. So, where does China fit into all this? The USA owes China about $1.16 trillion, or 7.25% of the USA's total debt. Coming in second is Japan, with $1.12 trillion (7%).

If china called in its debt today us people would be speaking chinese ffs. Read some history and current affairs man.
Except they can't "call in their debt today"...and even if they could, the effect it would have on the Chinese economy would be so bad they wouldn't dare risk it. Now, it's true that it will take some time to pay off this debt...actually, no it won't. If it really did come down to it, the US government could increase the income tax rate by 3%. If they did, they could cover the debt owed to China in two years.

China is the wealthiest nation on earth by trillions.
Again, no. In terms of nominal GDP, China is a distant second with $7.3 trillion, compared to the USA's $15.1 trillion (fun fact: the lowest GDP belongs to Niue, which has a $10 coin with Pikachu on it!). In terms of purchasing-power parity GDP, they fare a bit better, with about $11.3 trillion to the USA's $15.1 trillion.

It has more millionaires than all other countries put together.
Nope. It's actually 3rd, with 1.11 million. Japan is 2nd, with 1.53 million, while the USA is 1st, with 5.22 million. I should note, however, that Hong Kong is often counted separately. If Hong Kong and China are combined (as they ought to be), China rises to 1.31 million. And if you want to talk billionares, China remains in third, this time behind the USA and Russia (Japan drops to 9th).

And i said tech savvy cos anywhere u go in china the streets, people and shops are teaming with the latest technology.
Not really. In the Cities, maybe, if you stick to the right streets...but it's like that in every major city.

Half the tech u buy from the internet is either made in china or copied in china.
Most of the time, companies will move manufacturing to impoverished international locations for the cheap source of labor, hence all of the "Made in China", "Made in Indonesia", etc. labels. As for tech being "copied in China", well, yes, there are a lot of Chinese knock-off products, but I fail to see how exactly that shows China is "wealthy".

The hong kong market alone is a bigger market than europe
Hong Kong: Population: 7 million
Europe: Population: 739 million

Yeah...no.

You are so mis informed i wouldnt even know where to start.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#49Jonbazookaboz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 1:27:00 AM
pikachupwnage posted...
Eoin posted...

Not even close. Have u ever been to china. I can assure u there is not only more people in china than any 10 other countries in the world. But its also the most tech savvy and richest country on the planet.

Lol no. China is beyond the US both in tech and In wealth. Despite the 3 times or so bigger population the US is still richer.

Richer? Lmfao. Usa has been bankrupt since 1933. Since it filed the emergency bankrupt laws. Americas 'DEBT' does not make it rich. Lol. Just coz obama and whoever keep asking the debt ceiling to be raised does not make them any less bankrupt.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#50AceMosPosted 1/29/2013 1:49:16 AM
china is a dirt poor 3rd world country suffering from over population and a goverment that treats its citizens like slaves to feed there own pocket book
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*