Is Nintendo really broken? Or is the Internet just making it seem that way

#1Kamek85Posted 1/28/2013 10:52:21 PM
There's a lot of doom and gloom about Nintendo on the boards these days, making me wonder whether this is truly a prelude to Nintendo's imminent fall as a hardware manufacturer, or if this is just the usual naysaying directed at Nintendo to which we've grown so accustomed over the years.

Things going against Nintendo:

- There haven't been any new IPs introduced by Nintendo in a long time (or at least an uncharacteristically long time for Nintendo), possibly signaling a loss of creativity or innovation
- Smartphones and tablets have undoubtedly encroached on the traditional gaming business model, which acutely impacts Nintendo to the extent that their demographic shifted to the casual market with the Wii
- Nintendo posted consecutive quarters worth of financial losses during 2012, a first for the company

Things in Nintendo's favor:

- Nintendo possesses a dedicated fan base, successful track record, and valuable intellectual properties
- Gaming sites / blogs / forums have contributed to increased noise and tabloid-like sensationalism; it may simply be profitable / fashionable to spell the end of Nintendo without any real predictive ability
- The smartphone / tablet market may be overheating and we may see some limitations of this model emerge in the near future (e.g. runaway successes produced by one- or two-man teams may prove to be one-off exceptions)
#2MR_Smarty_PantsPosted 1/28/2013 10:57:03 PM
Sadly they are failing apart.

From weak consoles to a lack of games, it's not looking good for them. Not to mention the extremely poor sales and gimmicky controller.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't go under but it seems like when the true next gen consoles launch it'll be game over for the big N.
---
Proud owner of the Wii U!
#3ADHDguitarPosted 1/28/2013 11:02:57 PM
It's the internet.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#4pbandjamesPosted 1/28/2013 11:05:59 PM
They've made new IPs. They just can't really get them out of the shadow of Mario and Zelda announcements, unfortunately. It's both their blessing and their curse to have such widely known franchises that they use.
---
Game news is the best news.
#5UmuruPosted 1/28/2013 11:06:07 PM
It's probably the latter.
#6zaakroPosted 1/28/2013 11:14:50 PM
MR_Smarty_Pants posted...

From weak consoles to a lack of games, it's not looking good for them. Not to mention the extremely poor sales and gimmicky controller.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't go under but it seems like when the true next gen consoles launch it'll be game over for the big N.

Even if this console goes the way of the Virtual Boy (which it hasn't) Nintendo will still be in business. If they ever go out of business it won't happen anytime soon, more like 20 to 30 years give or take. They have no debt and pay everything in cash.
---
Some days don't you wish you could high five the sun
#7Super_Flan_ManPosted 1/28/2013 11:17:30 PM
As you know the internet is a place where everyone has to post the truth and biases are extremely rare. If someone who plays video game regularly, such as myself, tells you that Nintendo doesn't know how to run a company you should probably listen. Odds are they have several advanced business degrees and are only trying to help you understand. Because it's like i said, you can't lie here. Trust me, i read it on the internet
#8CrystalKing5426Posted 1/28/2013 11:25:39 PM
http://www.vgmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/nintendo-cycle.png
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Official Groudon of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#9NinjaDBLPosted 1/28/2013 11:26:45 PM
MR_Smarty_Pants posted...

Mte. RIP Nintendo.
---
Nintendo ID: NinjaDBL
#10Infinity8378Posted 1/28/2013 11:28:17 PM
Game stores are barely stocking games on Nintendo systems.