Donkey Kong Country Trilogy HD?

#11The_HyphenatorPosted 1/29/2013 8:29:17 AM
IIICE_COLD posted...
All three games exactly as they were, except in HD graphics and with online 2-player co-op?

I would love something like this. If Nintendo has access to the original SGI renders of the environments and the characters and could present them in their full glory, that alone would make this game worth the price of admission for me.

Given the perpetual licensing difficulties Nintendo seems to have with Rare-developed titles, I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
#12noutBrPosted 1/29/2013 8:41:23 AM
The_Hyphenator posted...
Given the perpetual licensing difficulties Nintendo seems to have with Rare-developed titles, I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

As far as I know the entire DKC franchise is owned by Nintendo, including all characters that Rare created for that series.

It's only the franchises and games they created themselves that are still owned by Rare, or rather Microsoft. It's a shame because Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker for example would have amazing potential if in the hands of competent developers. To make matters worse, I think Nintendo is just about the only developer at the moment who could do anything special with those franchises. Anyway, Microsoft seems to have forgotten all the incredible potential these franchises hold.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#13georgethecow4Posted 1/29/2013 8:47:54 AM
noutBr posted...
I'm curious to know if Nintendo actually has access to all the high quality 3D models and environments Rare made to render the low res SNES DKC graphics with.

IF they have this material they could easily reconstruct and re-render the entire game just like Rare did with the original DKC games, only in high res. I would seriously pay good money if this were to happen, I don't care if they sell them separately for more money too.

Unfortunately my hopes for something like this actually happening are as low as seeing another Mega Man Battle Network/Starforce type of game.

Don't even talk like that, man...I'm still waiting on a new Battle Network or Star Force. The fan game Chrono X is looking great though.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
3DS FC: 3136-6598-7067 Name: Andrew
#14cucumberkingPosted 1/29/2013 8:49:56 AM
I would cry baby ducklings if this happened. DKC2 is my 3rd fav game of all time.
#15The_HyphenatorPosted 1/29/2013 8:53:26 AM
noutBr posted...
The_Hyphenator posted...

As far as I know the entire DKC franchise is owned by Nintendo, including all characters that Rare created for that series.

It's only the franchises and games they created themselves that are still owned by Rare, or rather Microsoft. It's a shame because Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker for example would have amazing potential if in the hands of competent developers. To make matters worse, I think Nintendo is just about the only developer at the moment who could do anything special with those franchises. Anyway, Microsoft seems to have forgotten all the incredible potential these franchises hold.

Given that the Donkey Kong Country games were recently removed from the Wii Shop Channel (you can still download them if you bought them earlier, but they're no longer for sale), I assume there's some sort of rights issue that's keeping them tied up.
#16HammerBrozPosted 1/29/2013 8:53:27 AM
Throw in the extra level that was added in the DKC for the Gameboy color.
#17noutBrPosted 1/29/2013 9:14:36 AM
The_Hyphenator posted...
Given that the Donkey Kong Country games were recently removed from the Wii Shop Channel (you can still download them if you bought them earlier, but they're no longer for sale), I assume there's some sort of rights issue that's keeping them tied up.

Totally forgot about that, you're right it's pretty disturbing.

There still is the possibility that Nintendo is planning something big like an HD trilogy release or something like that. I just find it so weird, why was it fine for DKC ot be on the Wii Shop Channel for all that time yet at the end of the Wii's life it is removed. Also, Cranky Kong is a character created by Rare and he is in DKC:R so it all seems unlikely to me that DKC isn't completely owned by Nintendo.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#18The_HyphenatorPosted 1/29/2013 9:19:03 AM
noutBr posted...
The_Hyphenator posted...

Totally forgot about that, you're right it's pretty disturbing.

There still is the possibility that Nintendo is planning something big like an HD trilogy release or something like that. I just find it so weird, why was it fine for DKC ot be on the Wii Shop Channel for all that time yet at the end of the Wii's life it is removed. Also, Cranky Kong is a character created by Rare and he is in DKC:R so it all seems unlikely to me that DKC isn't completely owned by Nintendo.

Technically, they were opening up the game to be moved to a new platform (the Wii legacy mode on the Wii U), so that likely opened up the game for new negotiations with whatever rights-holders Nintendo has to smooth things out with, since from a legal standpoint, it is a new platform.
#19fon1988Posted 1/29/2013 10:07:51 AM
For those that don't have the games, I'm sure this would be cool.
#20NarutoPosted 1/29/2013 10:12:01 AM
I got DKC as a Christmas present way back when and I even brought the instruction manual to school so I could have a piece of the game with me while I was away from my SNES.

But the series is just over-rated. I've had my fun, but it's not that great. I hate the underwater levels and minecarts.