Nintendo should just stick to handhelds.

#11lninjasoniclPosted 1/29/2013 7:51:22 AM
Hm, I think that the SNES was the last great Nintendo home console, and while the Gamecube was fun it was missing out on all the RPGs. I personally hated the 64 and the Wii, and the Wii U has potential to go either way really. I will say I like the Wii U though and I hope they can get more 3rd party support in the future.

But I still don't think they should stick to portables.
---
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.
#12Petey_MeanisPosted 1/29/2013 8:00:11 AM
Nintendo should have just stuck to Love Hotels and Hanafuda cards.
---
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif
#13bleedingelitePosted 1/29/2013 8:14:58 AM
Nintendo should just stick to making awesome consoles and making OPs everywhere butt furious.
#14sejan12Posted 1/29/2013 11:45:37 AM
I disagree whole heartedly. Even with the consoles that haven't been as good (N64) Nintendo has always pushed different ideas better than anyone else. Would the analog stick have come into play without the beautiful execution of it as used to control Mario 64? Its said that the Sega Saturn 3D controller was a response to the N64 analogue stick. The dual analogue for the PS1 came out in 1997. Even then, it wasn't well accepted until a year later in the form of the Dual Shock controller.

Even then, we might still be using crappy joysticks if not for Nintendo's invention of the D-Pad with Game and Watches.

While the internets think its cool to hate the Wii because it isn't "hardcore" enough for them, both Sony and Microsoft followed them into the world of motion controls.

Following the initial announcement of the Wii U and its second screen Microsoft made sure the world could do the "same exact thing" with its smart glass playing a classic game of "us too!!!" Sony quickly added that they could probably do the same thing with the PS3 and Vita.

Sony ripped off the SNES controller with the PS1 controller with only two major changes (two extra shoulder buttons and grips).

In fact, Nintendo basically pioneered modern controller design with the inclusion of 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons on the SNES controller.

Every game company is in debt to the N64 for the addition of rumble to controllers. Sony found out the hard way that leaving this out of controllers is a mistake they couldn't afford to make after the release of the original Sixaxis controller that did not include it.

While they weren't first, they experimented with online play and downloadable content on the NES. They managed to make it a success with the SNES offering downloadable games.

While Sony and Microsoft have certainly innovated themselves, where would we be without Nintendo pushing in a slightly different direction? This is a company that offered analogue sticks, rumble features, online functions, shoulder buttons, the d-pad, and essentially single-handedly brought the world out of the Video game crash of 1983 deserves to stay in the industry that they have in many ways created. Expanded online play has been a great boon to the industry, but it does not overshadow the innovations that Nintendo's brought to the table.

Yes, the company has made mistakes in the past. Yes, the N64 controller was a terrible design that could only effectively be used by a species with 3 hands, but where would gaming be without it? Yes, the Gamecube shot itself in the foot with disks that had far too little storage space. Yes, the Virtual Boy was a resounding flop. Sure you may not like motion control and games like Wii Fit and Nintendogs, but when it comes down to it Nintendo has given more to the gaming industry than many people give them credit for.

Will the Wii U succeed? Time will tell. Over the next 5 years, we will see if Nintendo's latest ideas were a good gamble or not, but at least they aren't taking the easy way out. Any idiot could come up with Sony and Microsoft's plan of doing the same thing only better (with a little copying thrown in for good measure), but it takes someone willing to risk a lot more than that to try to make changes to an established industry. The Wii U will not be the phenomenon that the Wii was, but its attempting to try new things. A year ago people were predicting that the 3DS wouldn't be able to keep up with the newly released Vita, but today its the fastest selling dedicated gaming device in history. Give the Wii U a year or so before you begin the doom and gloom prognostications. Anything less proves that you haven't learned not to count Nintendo out.
#15StarBladeEdgePosted 1/29/2013 12:02:13 PM
sejan12 posted...
I disagree whole heartedly. Even with the consoles that haven't been as good (N64) Nintendo has always pushed different ideas better than anyone else. Would the analog stick have come into play without the beautiful execution of it as used to control Mario 64? Its said that the Sega Saturn 3D controller was a response to the N64 analogue stick. The dual analogue for the PS1 came out in 1997. Even then, it wasn't well accepted until a year later in the form of the Dual Shock controller.

Even then, we might still be using crappy joysticks if not for Nintendo's invention of the D-Pad with Game and Watches.

While the internets think its cool to hate the Wii because it isn't "hardcore" enough for them, both Sony and Microsoft followed them into the world of motion controls.

Following the initial announcement of the Wii U and its second screen Microsoft made sure the world could do the "same exact thing" with its smart glass playing a classic game of "us too!!!" Sony quickly added that they could probably do the same thing with the PS3 and Vita.

Sony ripped off the SNES controller with the PS1 controller with only two major changes (two extra shoulder buttons and grips).

In fact, Nintendo basically pioneered modern controller design with the inclusion of 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons on the SNES controller.

Every game company is in debt to the N64 for the addition of rumble to controllers. Sony found out the hard way that leaving this out of controllers is a mistake they couldn't afford to make after the release of the original Sixaxis controller that did not include it.

While they weren't first, they experimented with online play and downloadable content on the NES. They managed to make it a success with the SNES offering downloadable games.

While Sony and Microsoft have certainly innovated themselves, where would we be without Nintendo pushing in a slightly different direction? This is a company that offered analogue sticks, rumble features, online functions, shoulder buttons, the d-pad, and essentially single-handedly brought the world out of the Video game crash of 1983 deserves to stay in the industry that they have in many ways created. Expanded online play has been a great boon to the industry, but it does not overshadow the innovations that Nintendo's brought to the table.

Yes, the company has made mistakes in the past. Yes, the N64 controller was a terrible design that could only effectively be used by a species with 3 hands, but where would gaming be without it? Yes, the Gamecube shot itself in the foot with disks that had far too little storage space. Yes, the Virtual Boy was a resounding flop. Sure you may not like motion control and games like Wii Fit and Nintendogs, but when it comes down to it Nintendo has given more to the gaming industry than many people give them credit for.

Will the Wii U succeed? Time will tell. Over the next 5 years, we will see if Nintendo's latest ideas were a good gamble or not, but at least they aren't taking the easy way out. Any idiot could come up with Sony and Microsoft's plan of doing the same thing only better (with a little copying thrown in for good measure), but it takes someone willing to risk a lot more than that to try to make changes to an established industry. The Wii U will not be the phenomenon that the Wii was, but its attempting to try new things. A year ago people were predicting that the 3DS wouldn't be able to keep up with the newly released Vita, but today its the fastest selling dedicated gaming device in history. Give the Wii U a year or so before you begin the doom and gloom prognostications. Anything less proves that you haven't learned not to count Nintendo out.

amen
---
Nintendo The Best Game Company Let's destroy the wiiu board trolls!
WiiU True Next Gen for the next 8-10 years !
#16BSerenityPosted 1/29/2013 12:13:39 PM
Aiddon posted...
this topic is now about pancakes

WAFFLES!!
---
La morte sgorga dalle mie dita... Non v'e dubbio, tale e il desiderio dell'ignobile; dannata innocenza!
#17shaunmePosted 1/29/2013 12:17:23 PM
Waat aboot da salez
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#18Crazy_tank51Posted 1/29/2013 12:28:36 PM
Didn't Atari 5200 have the first analouge CS? I think it did, but the controller was prone to failure so much that it never really got a mention.
---
You can solve all problems by bombing them rapidly.
"You will not enjoy that shrimp with sauce while I'm around!"-Drake & Josh
#19_Sovereign_Posted 1/29/2013 12:29:43 PM
Eh, it's all opinion. Kinda like this : Microsoft hasn't put out a good console yet, they should just stick to Windows ( wait, they're not good at that either!)
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#20sejan12Posted 1/29/2013 12:46:53 PM(edited)
Crazy_tank51 posted...
Didn't Atari 5200 have the first analouge CS? I think it did, but the controller was prone to failure so much that it never really got a mention.

(edit)

The 5200's control was technically analogue, but that was part of its downfall. The potentiometer in it was very prone to failure. To make matters worse, the stick was non-centering making the stick bad even when it was functioning. Either way, it is an example of analogue control in consoles well before the N64, but it did not become mainstream until the N64. Analogue sticks made their gaming debut in arcades in 1976.

On top of that, the N64 stick was technically a digital stick with a ton more directional options than their D-Pad, but most people wouldn't have ever known the difference. Even though it was digital, it still was the catalyst to the importance of analogue sticks today.