New platformer, Oliver&Spike, heading to WiiU

#51Muljo StphoPosted 1/31/2013 8:01:42 PM
I've skimmed their site a bit since my last post. I didn't see anything about the alternate future angle but I did see some names given for five dimensions. Terra, Firma, Aqual, Trougle, and Twadle. (I'm assuming that one of the first two names is the standard realm that looked like a desert. No idea which it is or what the other one is though. But Aqual is obviously the water world. And then apparently they're keeping details about the last two secret for now.)

No... Wait... I'm looking at it again as I write this. They say something about "cluster worlds". Tera, Firma, and Aqual are apparently grouped together in a cluster world called Aria, and apparently Trougle and Twadle are the names of two other cluster worlds, so six more random names are listed as the parts of those.

So... I'm guessing that each level in the game will only exist across a specific set of three dimensions then, rather than having all 9 gameplay mechanics to play with all at once.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#52DTY3Posted 1/31/2013 8:11:55 PM
50+ posts on a topic about a game Wii U is getting and no petty arguments?

Nice.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#53pikachupwnagePosted 1/31/2013 8:23:02 PM
Looks pretty gene.....holy mother of The Lord did he just turn that desert into a ocean?

Looks awesome.
---
Pokemon generation six! All aboard the hype train! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Mauduin2/HypeTrain.png Walhart-Low prices. Everyday. On Everything
#54P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 8:38:11 PM
pikachupwnage posted...
Looks pretty gene.....holy mother of The Lord did he just turn that desert into a ocean?

Looks awesome.

That's exactly what my reaction was :D
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#55Kyena4Posted 1/31/2013 11:40:53 PM
Hi guys,

I am Tascha from Rock Pocket Games (the indie developer currently working on Oliver&Spike). This thread got pointed out to me and I thought I'll stop by and answer some questions :)

First of all about the Dimensions:
Each World you play in has at least three different parallel dimensions which can be swapped to but later during the game and after you discover more worlds and dimensions you also get items which enable you to use the mechanics of a specific dimension in another. So yes, theoretically you will eventually be able to use the mechanics of all nine for a puzzle or quest.

Also it might be important to note that O&S is not only a platformer. It's an adventure puzzler so to speak. Meaning there are boss fights, quests, NPC dialogs, random fights (if you want, you can avoid most of them) and QTE as well. Not to mention you can run around freely and explore every dimension. There is strong platforming involved as well, though :)

Regarding Oliver's run speed in the (by now oldish) teaser: We already fixed that since we agree it felt like running through jelly. So we hear you! :)

As to the Gamepad specific mechanics: We have several ideas but one of them is something we tentatively named “Spike Cam”. The idea is that the Gamepad is a gadget you get from the Professor to help you get a glimpse in any of the parallel dimensions available on a specific world. Additional hints and areas might be visible like a window into the other dimensions without you having to switch. Spike will be the one using that gadget and also be able to manipulate items without the duo having to jump. Spike will already hint and help with quest objectives or boss fights but we always wanted to find something additional on top of the “Fable 2” approach.
#56P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:45:51 PM
That sounds amazing! Do you have any word on a launch window? Another game I'm anticipating is "Anima: Gate of Memories" but it won't be due til next year, so I was wondering if your game would be out sooner. Also can you fill us in on some of the multiplayer differences and who will be playable? Lastly, if it's not too much trouble, could you tell us anything about what it's like developing for the Wii U?
---
#57Newbie00Posted 2/1/2013 12:30:36 AM
wingo84 posted...
hellbringher posted...
Now if the Wii U would just give gamers retail games.

Marked for being a douche

Games don't have anywhere near enough dimension jumping as they should

Don't be so sensitive.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#58P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 12:36:04 AM
Newbie00 posted...
wingo84 posted...
hellbringher posted...
Now if the Wii U would just give gamers retail games.

Marked for being a douche

Games don't have anywhere near enough dimension jumping as they should

Don't be so sensitive.

Don't start that.
---
#59Kyena4Posted 2/1/2013 12:44:27 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
That sounds amazing! Do you have any word on a launch window? Another game I'm anticipating is "Anima: Gate of Memories" but it won't be due til next year, so I was wondering if your game would be out sooner. Also can you fill us in on some of the multiplayer differences and who will be playable? Lastly, if it's not too much trouble, could you tell us anything about what it's like developing for the Wii U?

We have no ETA yet, sorry!! It comes down to how fast we can find a publishing partner :)

In co-op one player plays Spike and the other Oliver. There are areas designed in the game which are only accessible with two players but they will be optional within the games storyline. We'll make sure that you have a way to access these parts of the game no matter where you are in the storyline in the single player. At an earlier point in development you were actually able to switch between playing Oliver and Spike but we felt that it would be way too complex with all the additional game mechanics.

Sorry but there are NDAs involved in regards to development on the bigger platforms :)
#60DrRMPosted 2/1/2013 1:05:50 AM
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-42268-050e2cb373394c.gif
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."