Regarding Mega Man, and the virtual console...

#1Caissie07Posted 1/29/2013 5:28:12 PM
So, I've wanted to jump into the Mega Man series for quite some time now.

Purchased Mega Man 1, 2, and 3 on the Wii shop. Gave them a run through, and my god. I found them to be unbelievably hard. Now, I've heard from many that the series can be quite challenging, but I didn't think I'd get destroyed within the first few seconds of my playthrough (of each game). I can't be the only one who has trouble with these games, right? Am I missing something? Should I have jumped into a different game in the series to start me off? I don't necessarily think it's my level of skill either. Platforming games have been my forte for a number of years, and I've recently 100% completed Super Mario World again (all 96 exits, etc).

Which brings me to my next question...

As for the virtual console, I heard that the Wii U will be launching their store with the NES/SNES library. Any confirmation as to whether or not the entire library from the original Wii will be jumping ship from day one? Or will they slowly leak out games here and there? I personally hope we just get the entire collection right off the bat, as they intend to include new games to download.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 1721 7998 0962
#2snae99Posted 1/29/2013 5:29:58 PM
The classic series is fairly challenging, especially the first game so it's not just you. Keep at it though you'll get the hang of it eventually.
---
Currently playing: Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Sonic Colors
#3MegagunstarmanPosted 1/29/2013 5:34:35 PM
Megaman 2's "Normal" mode is the easiest in the series; (I've never played easy mode in Megaman 10 so I don't know if that's easier) you can use that to get used to the series. It's the same basic gameplay but with some changes to make the game easier, like enemies having less health.

No word on how long it will be before the entire Wii VC library is on Wii U.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#4Caboose_MillerPosted 1/29/2013 5:36:51 PM
Megagunstarman posted...
Megaman 2's "Normal" mode is the easiest in the series; (I've never played easy mode in Megaman 10 so I don't know if that's easier) you can use that to get used to the series. It's the same basic gameplay but with some changes to make the game easier, like enemies having less health.

No word on how long it will be before the entire Wii VC library is on Wii U.

Funny thing about Mega Man 2's "Normal" mode is that it's only in the US/EU version. "Hard" mode for us was the "Normal" mode for the Japanese version.
---
CabooseMiller101 of YouTube
"I don't know if I'd want virtual reality...I play games to escape reality..." - syphoned_edge
#5sketchturnerPosted 1/29/2013 5:41:15 PM
They are challenging but I don't find them ridiculously difficult, except for #3. Strangely, many people consider #3 one of the easiest and best games in the series. However, I can't stand it [and yes I have beaten it].

#2 is incredibly easy except for one stage near the end, IMO. #4 and 5 are also easier than some of the others.
---
Now Playing:Bio-Miracle Bokutte Upa, Blackthorne, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Heart of Darkness, Super Ghouls & Ghosts
#6hobobelmontPosted 1/29/2013 5:59:35 PM
Eh, it's kind of like Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden where it's really really tough at first, but since it controls so smoothly you just feel like you're terrible rather than that it's designed to be tough. Also, offense is way more important in these games than in Mario, so basically don't even consider it the same genre. These games also have far fewer stages than a typical Mario, so consider beating a robot master an achievement rather than just one stage.

Once you get the hang of typical crap MM throws at you (1-pixel jumps, instant reactions for shooting behind you) and admit "I am probably going to have to use a continue and start over at least once on every stage" then it's not too bad. Hardest part is learning boss patterns since the stages are hard enough the first time through to leave you with few lives for the end. You shouldn't be getting hit much on the stages by the time you're ready to beat the boss.

Each stage has one of two parts that are really a pain, but otherwise aren't too bad. Start with Air Man or Bubble Man on MMII. They are really frustrating for newcomers (tricky platforms, respawning enemies, nearly constant opportunities for instant death), but if you stay patient you'll start to feel when you're supposed to hang back versus be aggressive.

Also, there aren't any cheap situations where things are nearly as hopeless as in NES Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden. I beat every MM I owned easily as a kid, whereas I had to dedicate days to beating the Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden series as an adult. Look up the boss weaknesses, and if it's on the Wii use the save state to spread it out over a few days and you'll make it!
#7RahzarXPosted 1/29/2013 6:10:10 PM
It's hard. You'll get better.

The only one to avoid is MM8, Playstation only and the worst classic style megaman to date.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#8AwayFromHerePosted 1/29/2013 6:18:27 PM

The only one to avoid is MM8, Playstation only and the worst classic style megaman to date.

Wrong.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#9Mirror_AuraPosted 1/29/2013 6:51:25 PM

Right.
---
The most powerful army, in, HISTORY.
YAAAAAAYYYYY.
#10AxltheRedPosted 1/29/2013 7:19:23 PM
Mirror_Aura posted...

Right.

Wasn't MM8 also on Sega Saturn?

The best of the classic just imo are 2,3,6 and 9.
---
~Ok lets show that creep the real super power of Teamwork~Sonic the Hedgehog
Nintendo Network ID: Axlthered, GT: MobilePegasus, PSN:Blackwidowhunter