Nintendo fans, help me decide if wii u is for me

#1VoelgerPosted 1/29/2013 7:02:22 PM
Hello all, I am a 32 year old teacher who has always loved video games. I have Xbox 360 (I loved it), but for around two years I haven't touched it.

I also have a gaming laptop, which I love.

I will be honest, I was not interested in the wii u at all. I never owned a wii, the last Nintendo console I owned was GameCube- I loved the Zelda, metroid, and the resident evil games on that system.

I recently am finding myself more interested in the wii u because of its feature that you can play its games on the gamepad, and not on the tv. I live in a small house and one major reason I never play games anymore is because my wife or son are watching tv. I could go in another room but it would be much easier for me to be mobile.

I bought a vita for this, but there are few games.

How well does the gamepad work?
Is it worth it to play the hd games on the small pad? Does it still look good?
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#2laxnd23Posted 1/29/2013 7:05:43 PM
Well here's how I always go about buying a system. First, are there more than 3 games on the system that you would buy now? If not, don't get it now. Second, what's the potential of the system? Is it going to get good games in the future and is there a general idea of when those games will come? If so, then get it.

Personally, I wouldn't get a Wii U now. I plan to get it 4 months from now around my birthday because at that time, it'll have Monster Hunter on it and can justify the purchase at that time because of Zombie U and Monster Hunter, plus titles like Trine 2.
---
xbox gamertag: lonewolfnd 3DS Friend Code: 3136-6624-4823 Official XboxLover of the KDF
#3ShroomsLSDPosted 1/29/2013 7:06:35 PM
The Wii U sounds terrific for what you're looking for. But there isn't exactly a plethora of games available as of yet.
#4Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 7:07:16 PM
Is the gamepad comfortable to use for long periods?

Do all games work with the game pad ?

I know wii games don't, but what about virtual console?
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#5laxnd23Posted 1/29/2013 7:09:05 PM
Voelger posted...

Yes. I thought it would be bulky or awkward, but it's very comfortable. In fact I dont see why people need the pro controller.

I don't think so. I'd check to see what the official list is.

Not yet. Come May(?) they will. Might be later. But if you had a wii, the NES and SNES games can be upgraded to be used like this for $1 per NES game and $1.50 per SNES game.
---
xbox gamertag: lonewolfnd 3DS Friend Code: 3136-6624-4823 Official XboxLover of the KDF
#6ADHDguitarPosted 1/29/2013 7:14:41 PM
Voelger posted...

Yes.

Not all can be played ON the gamepad, most can, and all games can be played WITH the gamepad.

This feature is being added later.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#7Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 7:14:45 PM
Well, I'm very interested in zombie u and Mario. I haven't played assassins creed 3 or Darksiders 2 and would get those.

I am extremely interested in wind waker hd, a new metroid, a new Zelda, the tales of games, Alien colonial marines, monster hunter, and resident evil.

I also would love to play super metroid again. The prime games, and xenoblade.
---
PowerFAQs 1.10
#8DTY3Posted 1/29/2013 7:16:42 PM
Well for Tales you might want PS3 (unless you want Tales of Symphonia 2) but the rest you can get on Wii U
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#9Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 7:18:42 PM
Quote:Voelger posted...

Yes.

Not all can be played ON the gamepad, most can, and all games can be played WITH the gamepad.

This feature is being added later.

@ADHDguitar

Oh... That has me worried! If I'm buying the system to be a beautiful house hold mobile system I will be very upset if a big game being released doesn't support gamepad only play. What if as the games get better, there are fewer and fewer allowing gamepad only play? Does anyone know if the remake of wind waker will allow gamepad only play?
---
PowerFAQs 1.10
#10ArchsazePosted 1/29/2013 7:19:05 PM
Voelger posted...
Well, I'm very interested in zombie u and Mario. I haven't played assassins creed 3 or Darksiders 2 and would get those.

I am extremely interested in wind waker hd, a new metroid, a new Zelda, the tales of games, Alien colonial marines, monster hunter, and resident evil.

I also would love to play super metroid again. The prime games, and xenoblade.

All the wii games are backwards compatible. If you have any concerns about playing games now while you wait for all those epic titles you mentioned, I suggest the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, and especially Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Great games. However, all wii games will have to be played on the TV.

Wii U games that can be played on the gamepad solely, and that I recommend, are: NSMBU, Assassin's Creed 3, and Black Ops II.