Yes the Wii U sold 3 million units, but...

#1Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 1/30/2013 5:37:10 AM
http://kotaku.com/5980115/nintendo-sells-three-million-wii-u-units-but-takes-a-hit

The sales don't offset some bad news from Nintendo—bad news that was expected and seemed to spur the unusually positive, news-rich Nintendo Direct showcase of last week. Nintendo is dropping its financial forecast for the next three months. Where they once expected to make about 20 million yen, they now expect to lose about 37 million.

Why?

The earnings forecast has been modified to reflect a lower-than-expected sales outlook based on the sales performance in the year-end sales season and afterward. Also, exchange rate assumptions have been revised from 80 yen to 90 yen per U.S. dollar, and from 100 yen to 120 yen per euro, in consideration of the trend of the recent exchange rate situation.

Nintendo is blaming softer demand for older systems, including the original Wii.

Nintendos luck is shifting. Hopefully they find some way to turn things around and make some money. Expect a Wii U price drop 3... 2.. 1...
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#2mmarksterPosted 1/30/2013 5:44:56 AM
Why need a price drop? That will just cause them to lose MORE money, which your topic is talking about!
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032 - 1243 - 4711 Name/NNID/XBLGT/PSNID: mmarkster
#3Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 5:49:47 AM
Why need a price drop? That will just cause them to lose MORE money, which your topic is talking about!

Not if it make them sell more consoles, games, accessories, etc like the 3DS
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
#4ThaPrinceRazielPosted 1/30/2013 5:55:04 AM
Then they should just go third party already. It'd make them a lot of money if they did iOS and ps mobile games. Trying to keep up with current hardware is too much for the company, and they lost their main fanbase to iOS and android. It's their only hope.
---
Reaver of Souls.. I have become something... Darker Than Black
#5Board_hunter567Posted 1/30/2013 6:04:18 AM
Where they once expected to make about 20 million yen, they now expect to lose about 37 million.

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it's just game "journalism" but...aren't those extremely small numbers?
#6Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 6:06:55 AM
Board_hunter567 posted...
Where they once expected to make about 20 million yen, they now expect to lose about 37 million.

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it's just game "journalism" but...aren't those extremely small numbers?

If that is the case it just shows how unspectacular nintendo has been doing lately.
---
#7knightimexPosted 1/30/2013 6:11:43 AM
Ohes NOES!!!
only 37 million?

How much did sony lose on ps3 it's first year?
---
Old School Games FTW!
#8CaptainMoosePosted 1/30/2013 6:16:10 AM
People still reply to nicekirby topics? That's dumb.
#9icarus231Posted 1/30/2013 6:21:54 AM
Board_hunter567 posted...

20 million yen is $220000 us
37 million yen is $405000 us

Nothing to see here sony losses this every month
#10Crazy_tank51Posted 1/30/2013 6:39:00 AM
ThaPrinceRaziel posted...
Then they should just go third party already. It'd make them a lot of money if they did iOS and ps mobile games. Trying to keep up with current hardware is too much for the company, and they lost their main fanbase to iOS and android. It's their only hope.

Get off this board nao. The Wii U is just about to hit it's 3rd month, way too early to give up on it yet, and 3DS is selling faster than DS. They're doing fine.

Yes, Nintendo should totally throw in with the app store despite that the average iOS game maker makes $1000 per game. That will TOTALLY save them! And Sony is pretty much one more blunder away from disappearing. Nintendo would be more likely to die if they follow this inane idiotic idea.

Honestly, just because a console doesn't sell billions in it's first 2 months, it doesn't mean it's dead. I don't recall 360 and PS3 being deemed launch failures for not blowing the market away in such a short time, so why should Wii U be subject to that!?
---
You can solve all problems by bombing them rapidly.
"You will not enjoy that shrimp with sauce while I'm around!"-Drake & Josh