PSA: More than 1 game title has to be sold for Wii U to profit

#11mini_blightPosted 1/30/2013 2:38:22 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT (publ. 11/25/2012, pg. A2)
In a story about Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, Fils-Aime incorrectly said that Nintendo makes a profit on the Wii U console after consumers buy one piece of software. The number is more than one, but the company declined to say the exact number.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_22013695

I still see people bringing up this outright lie so I wanted to correct it.

That depends on the software. Was he referring to first party software?

Oh look at me asking you a simple question. lmao
#12Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 2:39:17 PM
Thanks TC. More people need to know. Reggie is a downright liar and terrible representative for Nintendo.

If this is the direction the company is headed in I can see why the masses don't want to be a part of it.

Yeah, this guy really needs to be fired. He brings literally nothing but embarrassment.

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT (publ. 11/25/2012, pg. A2)
In a story about Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, Fils-Aime incorrectly said that Nintendo makes a profit on the Wii U console after consumers buy one piece of software. The number is more than one, but the company declined to say the exact number.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_22013695

I still see people bringing up this outright lie so I wanted to correct it.

That depends on the software. Was he referring to first party software?

Oh look at me asking you a simple question. lmao

No clue, ask Nintendo.
#13Board_hunter567Posted 1/30/2013 2:53:45 PM(edited)
Which may or may not be profitable.

Isn't it pretty common for console manufactures to take a 10-20% cut from of non first party retail sales?
I'd imagine that they'd profit rather easily, depending on the title (first party especially). I'm assuming that the 3:1 attach rate doesn't factor in digital sales either, which I'm also assuming they profit more off of (although not as much as the other two platforms, if the high developer revenue rumors are true).
#14diggyfreshPosted 1/30/2013 2:53:39 PM
How does selling a software make a hardware profitable? Does a direct % of software revenue go straight into N's pocket, and then go directly to cover hardware cost?

Serious question. I am confused about it.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#15icarus231Posted 1/30/2013 2:54:44 PM
Bump again, I fear that people that actually believe in this crap will never look at this lol

How much did sony and ms lose per console?

Whats this estimate of $300 per console in 2006 thats more then 1 game

http://www.pcworld.com/article/127906/article.html
#16Board_hunter567Posted 1/30/2013 2:54:57 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#17Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 3:32:14 PM
Which may or may not be profitable.

Isn't it pretty common for console manufactures to take a 10-20% cut from of non first party retail sales?
I'd imagine that they'd profit rather easily, depending on the title (first party especially). I'm assuming that the 3:1 attach rate doesn't factor in digital sales either, which I'm also assuming they profit more off of (although not as much as the other two platforms, if the high developer revenue rumors are true).

No clue on how the royalty profits are.
#18PendragoonPosted 1/30/2013 3:57:41 PM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
Someone just posted today Wii U is sold at a loss of $21.

And with first party titles bringing in more than that per sale, it makes the one game statement a semi truth that just needed clarification.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#19Beatperson14Posted 1/30/2013 4:30:22 PM
Newbie00 posted...
Thanks TC. More people need to know. Reggie is a downright liar and terrible representative for Nintendo.

If this is the direction the company is headed in I can see why the masses don't want to be a part of it.

Well put