Nintendo loses almost $21 for every Wii U sold

#51icarus231Posted 1/30/2013 6:03:24 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
icarus231 posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
b1gt0ne posted...
icarus231 posted...
Well $21 per unit isnt bad, sony lost several hundred per unit in 2006.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/127906/article.html

It was around $300, no??

For the 20gb, the 60gb only cost them 240 at retail. (retailer wholesale cost is unknown, so we don't know how much they truly lost per unit.)

if it was 240 cost to retail and they charged 600 they should have made a profit

I forgot to add the link. That 240 was how much they lost per 60gb unit. The cost over and above retail.

http://news.cnet.com/Is-Sony-eating-hundreds-of-dollars-on-each-PS3/2100-1043_3-6136204.html?tag=mncol

That is no way to run a company , except into the ground
#52PedroMontanaPosted 2/1/2013 4:10:42 AM
Kind of weird that it's universally accepted as "bad news" that Nintendo is willing to take a loss.

I remember certain people always talk like it'd be a bad thing that Nintendo doesn't take a loss and acting as if taking a loss would be a better/more consumer friendly strategy.

Where are these people now?
Or may it be true that the people trying to sell us a risky, unsustainable strategy as the best were all just trolls?
---
No More Heroes
#53aether17Posted 2/1/2013 4:28:20 AM
So it costs 320$ to make then? Well well....
---
According to someone, I am a well known Troll.........not sure how.
#54strongo9Posted 2/1/2013 6:33:09 AM
At least it's not a terrible loss like the 360 and PS3 were. It only takes one game sale per console for Nintendo to make even one a console sale. In another six months Nintendo will probably be profiting off of Wii U sales.
---
Want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Rayman Legends, and Bioshock Infinite.
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#55blunderminePosted 2/1/2013 6:45:02 AM(edited)
Are they assuming the entire loss was due to Wii U's hardware revenue? That's a pretty big leap in logic especially when they hardly met any of their sales targets.

Also they said they make money if people buy 1 game. I can't imagine them earning $21 on a single game sale.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#56PendragoonPosted 2/1/2013 6:46:41 AM
blundermine posted...
Are they assuming the entire loss was due to Wii U's hardware revenue? That's a pretty big leap in logic especially when they hardly met any of their sales targets.

Also they said they make money if people buy 1 game. I can't imagine them earning $21 on a single game sale.

First party games would do it. Everything below retail mark up is pure profit for Nintendo.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#57blunderminePosted 2/1/2013 6:54:03 AM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
blundermine posted...

First party games would do it. Everything below retail mark up is pure profit for Nintendo.

No it's not. It's pure revenue, but not profit. They still need to pay for the development of the game, and a big portion of the sales at this point would still be considered going to that
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?