EA on Wii U: Not a next-gen console

#31CranberryPSOPosted 1/30/2013 5:02:47 PM
King, do you just scour the Internet searching for every negative article about Nintendo that you can find? Why exactly do you take so much pleasure in it when the company encounters difficulties?
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#32SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/30/2013 5:04:33 PM
SteamedRice posted...
Board_hunter567 posted...
Ah, here's the full quote.
Q: Wii U — you're not pursing aggressively. What does this say about consumers adopting next-generation consoles in the future?
A: Never count Nintendo out. They have great IP. You will see a bounce when they bring these IPs out. We see no correlation between Wii U sales and what we expect from other next-gen consoles, can't talk a lot about that though. What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come. We're excited and investing in it.

They said "other next-gen consoles." Which means they consider the Wii U next-gen. Complete and utter news fail.
"Gen 4" is probably referring to their titles or something, like "Gen 4" of Battlefield or MOH.

Gen 4 = ps4/720.

Word for word quote from investor call...
Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen— what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come — and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.

even that is still not this

Wow. EA just said Wii U isn’t a next-generation console. “What we’re describing as gen four has yet to come.”

— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) January 30, 2013

Kotaku’s Jason Schreir

He basically put words in EA's mouth.
#33ElectricMolePosted 1/30/2013 5:08:03 PM
EA is likely saying this because they have evaluated the development kits for Wii U, Nextbox, and Orbis.

It's not as if they're saying it out of spite. Third parties like being on as many formats as possible within a budget.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#34Board_hunter567Posted 1/30/2013 5:16:07 PM(edited)
Where did the quote even come from anyway?
I'm assuming it was rushed (bringing the contradiction) and then corrected later (clarifying that EA has their own classification for console generations and Wii U, apparently, isn't "Gen 4").

Edit: It was somebody on NeoGAF live transcribing it. That explains why it was rushed.
Game journalism, ladies and gentlemen.
#35SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/30/2013 5:13:16 PM
I'm assuming it was rushed (bringing the contradiction) and then corrected later (clarifying that EA has their own classification for console generations and Wii U, apparently, isn't "Gen 4").

Gen 4 was the only thing said. The guy from Kotaku made up the other part a.k.a editorialized
#36SteamedRicePosted 1/30/2013 5:19:59 PM(edited)
SuperShyGuy9000 posted...

Gen 4 was the only thing said. The guy from Kotaku made up the other part a.k.a editorialized

The quick summary was made off this part of the investor call

Q: I know Nintendo came out today and was a little bit more cautious with their outlook for Wii U sales, doesn't sound like this is a platform you guys are really pursuing aggressively on. What does this really say about the consumers' willingness to adopt the next-gen consoles — we should have something new from Sony and Microsoft, so what does that say with Nintendo going through the early struggles on the Wii U?

A: So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen— what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come — and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.
#37nickvd8Posted 1/30/2013 5:23:24 PM
EA's problem is they like graphical powerhouses instead of solid gameplay and innovative ways to play. So it's really not surprise that they're not impressed with the WiiU. EA stopped being relevant after the PS2 era. Need proof of EA's crappy gameplay with great graphics? See the latest Medal of Honor on PC. Great looking game, garbage gameplay.
---
Sign this
www.tinyurl.com/timesplittersHD
#38Lord_KagatoPosted 1/30/2013 5:29:10 PM
What's this? More people arguing and no one being convinced of anything on either side?

HOW NORMAL!
---
Watch my LPs and UMvC3's Courtroom Drama! - http://tinyurl.com/bo7nxnx
Current LPs: Majora's Mask, Fatal Frame 2, Persona 3 FES
#39Baha05Posted 1/30/2013 5:31:20 PM
Can't take them/that person serious with the Gen IV comment.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#40Sirian_HawkPosted 1/30/2013 5:33:26 PM
Gen 4 is likely a reference to Sony. This will be their 4th generation of consoles and to be fair they are the ones who are all about the "power leap". Good to know who EA supports.
---
Sure sign you are a nerd: The beginning of AC/DCs "Thunderstruck" always makes you think of Lion-O swinging his sword around.