EA on Wii U: Not a next-gen console

#81evosthunderPosted 1/30/2013 7:11:02 PM
"But of course the industry hates Nintendo."

-Is what I would say if I were a fanboy.
---
I post on other sites, too. Don't think that's how I spend all of my time.
#82flyersfan87Posted 1/30/2013 7:16:44 PM
Marley237 posted...
...Expect the PS4 and XBox 720 to be similarly underpowered, and don't expect to see the kind of jump we're used to. The economy still hasn't recovered and it won't for many years. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo cannot afford to invest in anything that rivals a gaming PC.

1) That's speculation 2) its based on what? Your intuition? The only hard numbers out there are the leaked spec rumors...those of the Orbis' dev kit having been confirmed by the Battlefield developer. According to those specs, not only do they rival a gaming PC (not the highest quality ones....but more than a 2012 mid-level PC), they are significantly more powerful than the Wii U's specs as well. That would indicate a next gen leap. 1080p res, 60 fps standard on a console indicates a next gen leap. The economy has little to do with hardware capability because consoles are always sold at a loss. These companies make up the money in software sales and other business aspects in the case of Sony and Microsoft. Hence why MS has always launched their consoles at a $300 price point. The original Xbox (at the time) was worth way more than that in internal tech. PS3 similarly was worth at $850 in internal tech when it sold at $600.
#83ElectricMolePosted 1/30/2013 7:17:04 PM
Some of you are over-thinking this.

There's only one console manufacturer coming into its fourth generation. It doesnt matter if its gen 8 or Wii U is Nintendo's next gen system.

EA is under NDA and is trying to be sly about which console they're referring to as being "next generation."
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#84P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 1/30/2013 7:20:42 PM
Sirian_Hawk posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Sirian_Hawk posted...
So you think they are saying "The Wii U is next gen but Sony's new console is out yet"? That still doesn't make any sense.

No, they are saying the PS4 will be gen 4 (hence the "gen 4 hasn't started yet") and that the Wii-U isn't strong enough to be considered in the same generation as that. They are calling the Wii-U current gen.

Except they clearly group it with "next gen"

And it is Gen 8 now. 4 has long since passed.

But they don't group it in. That is the whole point of this thread. EA saying it isn't next gen.

And it is gen 8 to you, and although that may be correct in Nintendo's case, it isn't true of Sony and MS. In fact, it can called more accurately be called gen 4 since this will be the fourth generation of consoles in the current console war (with the exception of MS who entered late). Sony, MS and Nintendo are the only real competitors in that, as Sega and others are gone. This current console race (in terms of MS vs. Sony vs. Nintendo) is entering the fourth generation with the PS4.

EA doesn't consider the Wii-U to be valid competition against the PS4 (and probably the 720) and so choose not to accept it as part of their gen 4.

"We see no correlation between Wii U sales and what we expect from other next-gen consoles"

This is them saying it's the same as the other "next gen" consoles. This is from the full quote. They never said "it isn't next gen," that was the reporter adding their own spin to it. And a generation by definition is based on time. It does not, nor ever will, work the way you've described. We are in Generation 8 now with the 3DS, Vita, and Wii U. Nintendo has participated in 7 generations with a home console. Even if you did argue the "current console war" this would inevitably be the 3rd gen of the war given that Microsoft is the newest entry. If you want to argue that "Microsoft was late" then Sony would be too as Nintendo was already here making it Gen7. Your entire argument is invalid.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#85RahzarXPosted 1/30/2013 7:21:56 PM
Says the creator of the Online Pass.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#86Baha05Posted 1/30/2013 7:23:07 PM
RahzarX posted...
Says the creator of the Online Pass.

It's more funny because you would think EA would attempt to port games to the Wii U WITH online passes and DLC.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#87SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/30/2013 7:26:56 PM
Sirian_Hawk posted...
Sirian_Hawk posted...
So you think they are saying "The Wii U is next gen but Sony's new console is out yet"? That still doesn't make any sense.

No, they are saying the PS4 will be gen 4 (hence the "gen 4 hasn't started yet") and that the Wii-U isn't strong enough to be considered in the same generation as that. They are calling the Wii-U current gen.

Except they clearly group it with "next gen"

And it is Gen 8 now. 4 has long since passed.

But they don't group it in. That is the whole point of this thread. EA saying it isn't next gen.

And it is gen 8 to you, and although that may be correct in Nintendo's case, it isn't true of Sony and MS. In fact, it can called more accurately be called gen 4 since this will be the fourth generation of consoles in the current console war (with the exception of MS who entered late). Sony, MS and Nintendo are the only real competitors in that, as Sega and others are gone. This current console race (in terms of MS vs. Sony vs. Nintendo) is entering the fourth generation with the PS4.

EA doesn't consider the Wii-U to be valid competition against the PS4 (and probably the 720) and so choose not to accept it as part of their gen 4.

"Their gen 4" I don't get it. You mean EA's

Even EA the company is way beyond "gen 4" they have been in gaming as long as Nintendo has been making consoles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts

It's not they started making games when Sony came along and that was gen 1 for both
#88darkjedilinkPosted 1/30/2013 7:28:31 PM
EA's just butthurt over the lack of Origin on the Wii U.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#89geneticsftwPosted 1/30/2013 7:28:49 PM
hellbringher posted...
Ha all the fanboys are repeating themselves.

And the "trolls" aren't?
---
Sweet
#90gorypaldin2Posted 1/30/2013 7:32:23 PM
Stop harping over this gen4 thing. It is obviously an internal EA designation of some kind. As for if the WiiU holds up to the nextbox and ps4 we will have to wait and see.

Unless someone has a time machine.
---
The mods know where they can go