LOL Kotaku - Nintendo and the Cult of Personality

#1sonic777Posted 1/30/2013 3:43:46 PM
http://kotaku.com/5980265/nintendo-and-the-cult-of-personality?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Pretty interesting read on Iwata. No matter your opinion on how he's run Nintendo, he IS doing his best job at being everywhere as "the face" of N.

Chances are, however, if you like Nintendo games and Nintendo game news, Iwata is more than just a corporate suit. Way more.

Creating this cult of personality around himself might be fun for Iwata, but it should also make him more secure in his spot at one of the biggest companies in gaming. Talk about being direct.

inb4LOLKotakuisnotreliable
#2art_of_the_killPosted 1/30/2013 3:46:24 PM
Nah, Reggie is the face of Nintendo. Dat chin, bro.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#3DTY3Posted 1/30/2013 3:47:53 PM
inb4LOLKotakuisnotreliable

This article isnt a matter of reliability.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#4Beatperson14Posted 1/30/2013 3:50:03 PM
Eh every good company has a head figure... Regardless of their true importance/involvement.
#5SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/30/2013 3:53:51 PM
Iwata has a personality?

I've only seen a few ND with him he seems to timid. Cult leaders are charismatic is the take charge type. Those aren't adjectives I'd apply to him
#6STE573Posted 1/30/2013 4:08:39 PM
Cannot stand the guy, just because his latest direct was good does not excuse his sheer idiocy in the past, the pushing of the Wii brand, the marketing of the Wii U, the utter reliance on existing IP and the consistent prioritisation of the casual gamer are all down to this guy.

He has the biggest job in gaming IMO, and he's made some down right idiotic decisions since he took the reigns, but he has brought Nintendo to more people and re-established Nintendo as a leader, but still, at the cost of a lot of gamer good will (skipping HD, servicible online and skimping on power).
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#7GEKGanonPosted 1/30/2013 5:30:23 PM
Yeah, because Nintendo's failure to jump on the bandwagon started with Iwata... ::coughN64usedCartridgescough::
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#8Enigma149Posted 1/30/2013 5:32:25 PM
GEKGanon posted...
Yeah, because Nintendo's failure to jump on the bandwagon started with Iwata... ::coughN64usedCartridgescough::

You know, as much crap as everyone gave them for that, I'm still rather glad that they did. I mean, the disc drives in my PS1, Saturn, and Dreamcast have all failed, but the N64's still going strong.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#9robinhoekPosted 1/30/2013 5:49:45 PM
Enigma149 posted...
GEKGanon posted...

You know, as much crap as everyone gave them for that, I'm still rather glad that they did. I mean, the disc drives in my PS1, Saturn, and Dreamcast have all failed, but the N64's still going strong.

If they were the same cost for the storage space I would have preferred to have never switched. Carts rock.
#10pokemega32Posted 1/30/2013 5:57:20 PM
STE573 posted...
Cannot stand the guy, just because his latest direct was good does not excuse his sheer idiocy in the past, the pushing of the Wii brand, the marketing of the Wii U, the utter reliance on existing IP and the consistent prioritisation of the casual gamer are all down to this guy.

He has the biggest job in gaming IMO, and he's made some down right idiotic decisions since he took the reigns, but he has brought Nintendo to more people and re-established Nintendo as a leader, but still, at the cost of a lot of gamer good will (skipping HD, servicible online and skimping on power).

ITP: Good business decisions you dislike = sheer idiocy.
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.