Price Drop in the future?

#1Sasuke7892Posted 1/30/2013 4:17:41 PM
I want to buy the Wii U, but I can't justify the full price of it. I've been reading that the system hasn't been selling the way the company projected. Anyone think a price cut will happen in the foreseeable future?
---
Check out my Call of Duty Gameplay/Commentaries!!
www.youtube.com/Yoshi7892
#2Baha05Posted 1/30/2013 4:19:19 PM
A price drop will happen regardless of how good or bad the system sells but one so soon might not happen.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3DiscostewSMPosted 1/30/2013 4:19:21 PM
Maybe around the time the next Sony and Microsoft consoles come out.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#4TheFallenPriestPosted 1/30/2013 4:19:33 PM
Nope. A launch console is an investment, not an immediate return. You buy it at launch so you dont have to wait for the games that came out with it at launch.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64999261/728682650 Xeeh_Blitz says Wii U Controller Rattling is worse than XBox RROD, Troll status confirmed.
#5evilsquirrlePosted 1/30/2013 5:29:01 PM
The U is selling at about average rates for a new console....just below average for a Nintendo console.
It's doing fine. The most recent slew of announcements helped. And they've guaranteed Smash Bros will be at E3, which could sell the system by itself.
So, a price drop in the near future is unlikely.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 1/30/2013 8:21:44 PM
Having sold over 3 million units before 2013, a price drop any time soon is highly unlikely.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#7SSJ4CHRISPosted 1/30/2013 8:23:12 PM
darkjedilink posted...
Having sold over 3 million units before 2013, a price drop any time soon is highly unlikely.

3DS sold 4 million at launch. It got a price SLASH 4 months later. Your lack of logic in favor of fanboyism is pathetic.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#8Baha05Posted 1/30/2013 8:26:19 PM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
3DS sold 4 million at launch. It got a price SLASH 4 months later. Your lack of logic in favor of fanboyism is pathetic.

Yeah and the 3DS had the Summer to deal with, and guess what? Summer is horrible for gaming sales.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#9Enigma149Posted 1/30/2013 8:26:37 PM(edited)
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
darkjedilink posted...

How about this, then?

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/2013/01/30/nintendo-chief-rules-out-price-cuts-for-wii/Ku43XEsNpz0JVvXkh6kgJL/story.html

Nintendo chief rules out price cuts for Wii U

TOKYO (AP) Nintendo President Satoru Iwata promised Thursday the struggling Japanese video-game maker will get back into operating profitability next fiscal year at more than 100 billion yen ($1 billion), while ruling out price cuts for the new Wii U home console to boost sales.

Iwata, speaking at a Tokyo hotel to investors and reporters a day after earnings were released, acknowledged the sales momentum for the Wii U, as well as the 3DS hand-held game machine, had run out of steam during the key year-end shopping season, especially in the U.S.

But he said no price cuts were in the works. Price cuts are common in the gaming industry to woo buyers to products, but the move can backfire by trimming revenue. The Wii U now sells for about $300 in the U.S. and 25,000 yen in Japan.

And just for the people who kept claiming earlier that Nintendo was going to lose millions:

Kyoto-based Nintendo, which makes Super Mario and Pokemon games, lowered its full year sales forecast Wednesday to 670 billion yen ($7.4 billion) from 810 billion yen ($8.9 billion).

The company returned to net profit for the April-December period from deep losses the previous year, but that was due to a perk from a weaker yen, which helps Japanese exporters like Nintendo.

---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#10DarthFloatyPosted 1/30/2013 8:27:07 PM
This Fall is the earliest one is likely to happen. That's not a sure thing, but quite likely.