How about SMT x Final Fantasy?

#11Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 10:40:27 PM
Lessermook posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...
Lessermook posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...
Because two bad JRPG series don't make a good spinoff.

With Fire Emblem in the mix, SMT X FE at least has a chance of being good.

Awww too hard for you?

RPGs can't be hard. All you have to do is properly manage items, spells and such, and you win. There is that whole artificial difficulty thing called "levels", which is there to tell you what enemies you should or shouldn't fight. But outside of that, RPGs cannot actually be hard.

I love hard games. MM9 and the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy are some of my faves.

Then what's your beef with SMT? Is it's spin off's or main series?

Largely the boring settings, the slow, plodding gameplay (turnbased combat needs to die in a fire. Along with card-based combat. The hell people, if I want to fight with cards, I'll play Yu-Gi-Oh, but since I can't stand that crap, I don't want it in my games), and the unimaginative enemies (mostly taken from Japanese mythology).

I don't mind SMT, so much. I didn't absolutely hate 2. It was just so very boring, and whoever thought that pseudo 3-D dungeon crawling BS was a good idea, needs a few lessons in game design. It didn't work for Fester's Quest, it sure as hell didn't work in Mystical Ninja, it doesn't work here.

Also, while Persona 2 was actually really good (despite the dysfunctional battle system. I liked it because it got rid of that stupid dungeon crawling BS. It could have stayed in first person, but what I mean is how you could only move one in-game space at a time, so you really just stuttered through the dungeons instead of actually walking). 3 and 4 are easily some of the worst games I've ever played, and that's saying a lot, considering I've played some really bad games.

I'm just not one for that stupid, highschool animu "oneechan" crap.
It's why I detest anime.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
Hit me up for a match, always looking for new sparring partners.
#12Tsutarja495Posted 1/30/2013 10:45:11 PM
I'd get it since I love Final Fantasy. I'm about to try and jump into SMT as well, in preparation for the upcoming crossover with Fire Emblem.
#13Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 10:46:20 PM
TheTrueNub posted...
RPGs are as easy as you make them.

Overall, SMT has a reputation for being harder than your standard JRPG. Overlevelling yourself takes half the fun out of them. SMT is a series where even a random battle can kill you if you goof off. If you just play it and don't run from everything you'll pretty much be at the levels you need to be, everything else is just your strategy. Choosing to grind doesn't make the game easy, it's a cop out.

When the encounter rate is so incredibly high, it's hard not to be at such a high level.

I trudged through FF5, and by the time I fought Neo X-Death, I was poking around the low 90's. Made very quick work of him, really. I don't get how my brother ever thought he was a difficult end boss.
---
#14DynamicJumpIuffPosted 1/30/2013 10:52:48 PM
Huh,sounds like you might like Digital Devil Saga or Soul Hackers, Oni.

Although, there's a pretty big chance you wouldn't. Oh well, that's fine.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#15Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 11:00:09 PM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...

Are they turnbased?
If so, I'll only bother with them if a friend lends me their copy (I do know a few people with DDS, but I've never honestly seen it played, and I don't want to waste my time searching for gameplay on Youtube).
---
#16TheTrueNubPosted 1/30/2013 11:02:11 PM
Oni_Taedo posted...

Are they turnbased?
If so, I'll only bother with them if a friend lends me their copy (I do know a few people with DDS, but I've never honestly seen it played, and I don't want to waste my time searching for gameplay on Youtube).

Both of them are.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#17Oni_TaedoPosted 1/30/2013 11:03:44 PM
TheTrueNub posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...

Are they turnbased?

Both of them are.

Makes it less tempting.

Ugh, I beat FFXIII, how much worse could a game honestly be?
---
#18Maxx_the_SlashPosted 1/30/2013 11:24:40 PM
No. Final Fantasy X Dragon Quest or GTHO.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#19GigantLuffyPosted 1/30/2013 11:47:28 PM(edited)
3 and 4 are easily some of the worst games I've ever played, and that's saying a lot, considering I've played some really bad games.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who hated Persona 3 & 4. 3 is the lowest point in the series imo.

Have you tried the Raidou Kuzunoha games? They're action RPGs. Plus Raidou is a pretty badass character.

I'm just not one for that stupid, highschool animu "oneechan" crap.

I also hate high school animu crap! Can we marry?
---
"STRANGE ISN'T IT" - Sonikku za Hejjihoggu
UnOfficial Getter Robo of anything ever
#20nonexistingheroPosted 1/31/2013 12:34:09 AM
Would be a dating game with Final Fantasy characters.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.