Would you buy Dragon Quest X if it was announced for NA?

#21leeko_linkPosted 2/3/2013 2:38:53 PM
Yes for free online play, no if you had to pay a fee. I love Dragon Quest but hated how Square Enix always ruins beloved franchise with these ripoff feature, both the main FF and DQ games should never implemented online play especially when the online story is part of the main game. I hate when they force online to be the main game and the offline mode to be a demo, it's just wrong.
#22manjiPosted 2/3/2013 2:41:40 PM
DQX is one game i'm really wishing gets announced soon. i think nintendo north america would have a hard time selling with a subscription fee though. so i would almost guess if it does come out here, we would see no subscription fee.

how does that work when japan pays? because japan will buy and support anything with the dragon quest name. the u.s. is less forgiving in my opinion.
#23OzzieArcanePosted 2/3/2013 2:45:03 PM
Guys it's not gonna be free to play. The only reason Square is making MMOs is cause they crave those profitable subscription fees. They're doing it cause despite sales Final Fantasy XI is their most profitable game.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#24csalvi42Posted 2/3/2013 4:00:27 PM
i actually disagree i think there is a different level of demand for DQ in japan versus the US/Euro market. DXIX sold well on the ds, but a paid subscription model is antiquated, even on PC these days. The game will tank overseas if they have the balls to keep the paid subscription, however due to the fanatical nature of Dragon Quest in Japan, with people taking off work days to play the games etc, they were smart from a business standpoint to realize that people will likely pay for an online subscription there, and so far they're correct.
---
White Version FC: 0991 1102 7167
Heart Gold FC: 4898 8264 5300
#25manjiPosted 2/3/2013 8:52:59 PM(edited)
exactly and it's not so unbelievable. Monster Hunter 3 for Wii in Japan is the best kind of example. for Japanese players, you have to pay a subscription fee to play online. because in Japan, MH is so huge, gamers are willing to spend their money for a subscription, which is equally comparable to Dragon Quest.

when Monster Hunter 3 was released here in the U.S., Capcom did the smart thing and provided online service for free. it's true the amount of players who could be in the same city at the same time was lowered, but basically it was the exact same service otherwise, not to mention added voice chat.

if Square released DQX here with an attached subscription fee, i would almost guarantee the online population would drop considerably just after a few months and it would be a very hard sell. Dragon Quest does pretty well in the states, but not nearly on the level as Japan.
#26muffinmasherPosted 2/3/2013 8:57:48 PM
Yes 100% if they don't have an online fee for the U.S. or Europe.
If they do charge monthly, I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't blame them I suppose, but I don't like committing to a monthly fee.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654 8353 8201
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#27boogaboogabooPosted 2/3/2013 9:12:22 PM
I love the Dragon Quest series, but I don't like MMO's at all, so even if this comes over, which I'm sure it will, I'm going to pass. So disappointed this entry had to go in this direction. :(
Eagerly await the VII remake and any other traditional entries in the future.
---
um... toes.
#28darkjedilinkPosted 2/3/2013 9:16:03 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
Guys it's not gonna be free to play. The only reason Square is making MMOs is cause they crave those profitable subscription fees. They're doing it cause despite sales Final Fantasy XI is their most profitable game.

You obviously know nothing of the current MMO landscape, or a dismal failure of a game called Final Fantasy XIV.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#29SSJ4CHRISPosted 2/3/2013 9:19:05 PM(edited)
Not until it went free-to-play. That way I could buy stuff only if I really wanted too. I don't have time for subscription-based games, so that would be wasted money.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#30ZvolTxPosted 2/3/2013 9:22:32 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
No, it's just another bad MMO.

Ur mums a bad MMO.

*smirk*
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://i50.tinypic.com/344dpwn.jpg