It's so nice that Eshop games load from an external drive.

#11Dark_Link92Posted 1/31/2013 1:17:29 AM
Foppe posted...
Dark_Link92 posted...
diggyfresh posted...
STN79 posted...
You'll never have to worry about the Wii U's limited internal storage. Just hook up a decent sized external HD and you'll have all the room you need. Games load right off there too. That's one thing Sony's highly advanced system can't do.

i'm pretty sure u can swap HDDs in the PS3. may not be as easy as the Wii U, but it's not really a hassle either. and it's unlikely it is necessary on the PS3. on the Wii U u need to eventually buy an external HDD.

Pretty sure that voids the warranty, doesn't it?

Nope.
The PS3 manual even tells you how to do it, it's easy as pie.
And if you buy the 12 GB PS3, you are pretty much forced to install a harddrive.

Ok- that's pretty cool. I've been meaning to get a PS3 for a long time, and I have a load of Hard Drives sitting around (can I use any 2.5" SATA?"). I can save myself a bunch of money and get the 12GB. Not a fan of the super slim, though.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#12Thunderbird8Posted 1/31/2013 1:25:38 AM
The PS3 backup utility backs up games and saves (including copy protected saves). I also had the few movies on my system included in the backup, but they were all videos I could have manually copied off anyway (a few of the videos from Sony's little The Tester show before I got bored of it). I can't say whether the backup utility will cover music and paid movies, though I'd be surprised if it didn't.

However, when I swapped my hard drive out (120GB, while it took awhile, I did eventually fill it up), I had to redownload the current version of the PS3 system software from the website, load it onto a USB device and plug it into the PS3 before I could get it running again. I only had to redownload the games I was forced to delete to make the backup small enough to fit on an 80GB iPod, though. Getting the hard drive out of the little carrier was a bit of a pain though, cause those screws were tightened down way tighter than they needed to be =P.

While there is a 12GB PS3, it looks like it's only available in the EU (with a 500GB option also available).

I've not yet needed to get an external hard drive for my Wii U, but I imagine I eventually will need to do so.
#13blueyc22Posted 1/31/2013 8:42:40 AM
STN79 posted...
I never said you couldn't swap the drive in a PS3. I'm saying games won't load unless they are on the internal drive. With Wii U you can keep everything on the external and load it right from there. For some reason Sony doesn't think you should be able to do that. Not trollin either i have a PS3 I just think that's strange how Nintendo's outdated technology has a feature not possible on Sony's system. I mean besides the whole touch pad thing.

For the record, I didn't read your original post as trolling. I appreciated the additional clarification that the games load from the external harddrive on Wii U unlike on the PS3!!
#14jackorhoadsPosted 1/31/2013 11:26:43 AM
Both my ps3 and 360 have 250gb hd's so I'll prob just get a small external hd for my wiiu.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd