I dont understand people talking about trophies/accomplishments

#41TechniMyokoPosted 2/3/2013 4:06:06 AM
GEKGanon posted...
It is less about wanting the unified system and more about the fact games already give you these sorts of things, stats, and whatnot, assuming the developer put them in the game.

If Nintendo Land gives you a stamp, isn't that a valid indicator of your progress? Why is that somehow less valid than a unified achievement system? And why does Nintendo even need a unified achievement system when they let you post any screenshot you want on the Miiverse?

No, it not being unified is the whole problem
And posting a temporary screenshot manually is no where near the same thing as a developer chosen objective that automatically gets permanently recorded
#42shampoowarriorPosted 2/3/2013 8:28:11 AM
GEKGanon is just flaunting himself as another "I don't like trophy systems so they shouldn't exist" waste of time and energy.

Even assuming a worst case, his points still have no bearing. Let's say all trophies are meaningless and for jumping 1000 times. Let's say all trophy hunters do it just for the epeen. There's still no reason for Nintendo not to have included them. Decrying the systems or insulting the people who like them does not change the fact that, as Microsoft has shown, they can be added without impacting the gameplay of people who don't care for them. Notifications can be turned off. Now assuming the Wii U is even strong enough to share multiplat titles with the PS4 and 720, people who like achievements have a completely avoidable but justifiable reason NOT to purchase the Wii U version.

It isn't about entitlement. It is about Nintendo offering less features than their competition that, like it or not, people do care about. Are we entitled to achievements on the Wii U? Absolutely not. But we're also entitled to purchase all our multiplatform games on a system that will give us achievements. And if you ask me, purposefully giving any person a reason not to purchase games on your system is not something that should be praised by anyone. If you don't want to jump up and down 1000 times, no one is forcing you. Everyone who does might not bother with the Wii U. Especially if they're one of MS or Sony's "hardcore" gamers that Nintendo is SUPPOSEDLY trying to win back this gen.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#43fuzi11Posted 2/3/2013 9:12:06 AM
I see the point of achievements in KI:U and Smash, but achievements in Assassins Creed are just stupid.

"You have beaten chapter 1!"
"You have beaten chapter 2!"
"You have beaten..." you get the point

A universal achievement system is pointless.
#44maximumbarmagePosted 2/3/2013 9:15:29 AM
Yeah, extra incentives for replaying games are overrated.
---
"Maybe it would be quicker to list the Wii U multiplatform titles that AREN'T vastly inferior ports..." - SimeonSays
#45jackorhoadsPosted 2/3/2013 9:16:09 AM
Depends on the game. When they first came out I went crazy getting them....then it died off tbh. I do like how they add another element to a game and sometimes doing things I wouldn't have normally done. Though they aren't the be all and end all.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#46shampoowarriorPosted 2/3/2013 9:32:19 AM
fuzi11 posted...
I see the point of achievements in KI:U and Smash, but achievements in Assassins Creed are just stupid.

Chapter trophies are actually a great way to show you how far someone is in a game.
Another case of I don't like them so it would be pointless for them to be included for people who do, even though they don't affect me.

Is it so hard for people to be open-minded? No one should be allowed to play fighting games on Nintendo consoles! I don't play them and it doesn't affect me one way or another if other people play them, but I think fighting games are stupid and pointless and everyone who likes them is stupid! So Nintendo shouldn't allow them?

Do you people realize how dumb that sounds? Its the exact same with achievements. You can turn them off on the XBOX! No one is demanding every game to have them, they just want the options that every other competitor provides.
---
#47sonicsonicPosted 2/3/2013 9:47:54 AM
Neither do I... I remember back in the day, when I was about your age we didn't ave no fancy trophies. The credits were our trophies and completing the game the accomplishment.
#48fuzi11Posted 2/3/2013 11:21:25 AM
shampoowarrior posted...
fuzi11 posted...

Chapter trophies are actually a great way to show you how far someone is in a game.
Another case of I don't like them so it would be pointless for them to be included for people who do, even though they don't affect me.

Is it so hard for people to be open-minded? No one should be allowed to play fighting games on Nintendo consoles! I don't play them and it doesn't affect me one way or another if other people play them, but I think fighting games are stupid and pointless and everyone who likes them is stupid! So Nintendo shouldn't allow them?

Do you people realize how dumb that sounds? Its the exact same with achievements. You can turn them off on the XBOX! No one is demanding every game to have them, they just want the options that every other competitor provides.

So what you want to share is your progress. Well that's fine, but then they shouldn't really waste an achievement on progress and just state your progress (except maybe "100% on everything possible. Here is the 'you have too much time to waste trophy' ", that one is fine, even if I wrote it in a demeaning sarcastic way)
#49Helmsly2008Posted 2/3/2013 11:23:16 AM
i don't care about achievements personally but its pretty clear a lot of people like them, it probably would be in Nintendo's interest to add them. They could of added them the same way Steam has achievements: universal but not mandatory for every game.
#50shampoowarriorPosted 2/3/2013 2:49:21 PM
fuzi11 posted...
So what you want to share is your progress. Well that's fine, but then they shouldn't really waste an achievement on progress and just state your progress (except maybe "100% on everything possible. Here is the 'you have too much time to waste trophy' ", that one is fine, even if I wrote it in a demeaning sarcastic way)

If Wii U games had a universal progress bar you could look at with your friends, I would be content. But I don't see how that would be much different from trophies, considering every game I own uses trophies/achievements basically 50% for progress and then 50% extras. I don't personally see the problem with that though. Wanting to check friends' progress progresses pretty naturally into wanting to check what extras they are achieving imo
---