Has Nintendo learned nothing...

#1trenkenPosted 1/31/2013 2:10:36 PM
... from the successes of the NES, SNES and N64? What was the key thing that kicked off those consoles that they all have in common? A launch AAA quality Mario game that was original. A 4th NSMB game doesnt count.

The Wii was the exception since the hardware itself was very different. Well the U isnt. It's essentially a giant DS, something everyone already owns.

Im in my 30s and have own all Nintendo consoles and am a huge fan of theirs, but they seem lost to me now. I dont understand how they could possibly think they could launch this thing with no big time original Mario game and expect it to be at 6 million sales by now, when its only at half that.

Not all that many people are running out to spend $300 to play a Mario game that basically does nothing but rip off old ideas. If they wanted this thing to be a gold mine right from the start, maybe they should have thought about starting work on a very new Mario original and creative Mario game 2-3 years ago so it would be ready for this moment. But nope, nothing, and now we have one of their top guys talking about resigning over it. Derp.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#2StickMen1090Posted 1/31/2013 2:12:06 PM
they are in development still
#3GloryChaosPosted 1/31/2013 2:12:58 PM
You're in the minority.

New Super Mario Bros. U is #19 on the top selling games of 2012 with around 360K copies sold.

It was released on December 7th.

In general, 2D Mario games have always sold better than their 3D counterparts. And no matter how hard the upcoming 3D game tries, it probably will do the same. Hell, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is even higher on that list. It beat 3D land!
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#4Tsutarja495Posted 1/31/2013 2:19:01 PM
Wait, N64 was a success? It sold like 10 million less than the console before it, and less than a third of what the PS1 did. I mean, it obviously sold well enough that Nintendo could keep going, but I wouldn't lump it in with the success of the NES and SNES.

Also, the attach rate for NSMBU is over half, it has sold about 1.5 million so far, I think it is doing fine.
#5FlyinTonitePosted 1/31/2013 2:19:50 PM
If 3ds is any indication, nintendo can turn things around with a few AAA exclusives. It's just a waiting game.

And sheesh people, don't most of you have a ps3 or 360 by now. Are you so jaded by nintendo you need to ***** and moan about it instead of finding something else to play like the gamer you're supposed to be?
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd