Wall Street Journal: "New PlayStation arriving this year", PS4 vs. Wii U soon

#111excitebike64Posted 2/1/2013 1:16:57 PM
Sony's problem is not IPs. I'll even say the opposite and wish Sony would move more of their work to other plats. PS4 will either somehow make it, or if it sales badly, even early on... PS4 is the last Playstation. Assuming they even call it that.

PS4 is a make or break for Sony's gaming division.

Nintendo could fail two or three times and still have money to try again.

It is actually sad, IMO. But Sony really messed up with marketing and flip-flopped all the time on what they really were trying to do.
#112monkeyspoonPosted 2/1/2013 1:20:01 PM
excitebike64 posted...
Sony's problem is not IPs. I'll even say the opposite and wish Sony would move more of their work to other plats. PS4 will either somehow make it, or if it sales badly, even early on... PS4 is the last Playstation. Assuming they even call it that.

PS4 is a make or break for Sony's gaming division.

Nintendo could fail two or three times and still have money to try again.

It is actually sad, IMO. But Sony really messed up with marketing and flip-flopped all the time on what they really were trying to do.

The gaming sector actually makes Sony money. It's other sectors that don't. Sony are shifting their focus to the 3 most profitable sectors which is gaming, phones and one other I can't remember.
---
PSN ID: monkeyspoon, XBL ID: monkeyspoon, Nintendo Network ID: monkeyspoon "I own the Vita and hate it" ShadowfxD2 (but still trolls the vita board)
#113excitebike64Posted 2/1/2013 1:48:10 PM
Profits only started in mid 2010 off the PS3, and I'm sure most of that profit went straight towards the PS4. Okay, first Vita, then PS4.

I suppose PS2 helped, but we are not talking massive gains here by any means, or investors would rate Sony much higher.

What makes or breaks the big boys is not even sales anymore, it's the investors.
A sad truth I am seeing more and more in public trading.

If Sony was ONLY a gaming company, they'd actually be more like Nintendo, and be safe. But with so much stuff in one company expectations are just SO HIGH! Same with Microsoft, but Microsoft is doing better as well.

I truly see a MS vs Nintendo scenario, with Sony being more like Sega... gaming wise.

Which is ironic, Sony kicks down Sega. Now MS might actually kick down Sony.