Well there goes Earthbound...

#41Dark_AbaddonPosted 2/2/2013 1:22:22 PM
Mirror_Aura posted...
isn't there a huge list of things that are basically copyright infringement in Earthbound that would have to be changed to bring it out of Japan?

Wow, changing data in an SNES game!

What's next on your list of colossal tasks? Writing "hello world" in C?

Nintendo doesn't think the cost of changing some music and a few other things is worth the potential gains of putting it on VC? I don't know.

There is also the potential lawsuit if they miss something, and given the giant legal gauntlet they had to get through the last time they released it outside of Japan they may not want to. Even a lawsuit they win still costs them money.
---
and thus concludes my post.
#42Mirror_AuraPosted 2/2/2013 1:25:30 PM
Nintendo doesn't think the cost of changing some music and a few other things is worth the potential gains of putting it on VC? I don't know.

That's right, you *don't* know. Because changing those things is absurdly simple, and the number of people who will buy the game (e.g. everyone who's gotten interested in Mother since SSB / SSBM / SSBB came out) outweighs the trivial cost.

There is also the potential lawsuit if they miss something, and given the giant legal gauntlet they had to get through the last time they released it outside of Japan they may not want to. Even a lawsuit they win still costs them money.

Come on, that isn't even a likely scenario... I don't know why you and others seem to think that localizing this game will possibly be any more of a loss than making Wind Waker *twice*.
---
The most powerful army, in, HISTORY.
YAAAAAAYYYYY.
#43Dark_AbaddonPosted 2/2/2013 1:37:52 PM
Mirror_Aura posted...
That's right, you *don't* know. Because changing those things is absurdly simple, and the number of people who will buy the game (e.g. everyone who's gotten interested in Mother since SSB / SSBM / SSBB came out) outweighs the trivial cost.

I agree, but Nintendo, so far, obviously doesn't.

Mirror_Aura posted...
Come on, that isn't even a likely scenario...

a lawsuit is the only valid reason for them to not localize it. they did have a great deal of difficulty last time with localizing it, and there is the potential they will have to deal with another lawsuit even after they make changes. The internet exists to a much large extent now than it did.

this is a list of everything that has issues assembled by some guy using the internet. imagine what a lawyer could do if they were looking.
http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/07/earthbounds-specific-legal-issues/
even if they changed EVERYTHING here they may still have an expensive lawsuit brought against them, even if they win.

Mirror_Aura posted...
I don't know why you and others seem to think that localizing this game will possibly be any more of a loss than making Wind Waker *twice*.

WW didn't have any lawsuits associated with it, they are making more substantial changes, and it will be sold for WAY more than a SNES VC game. the two are not comparable.
---
and thus concludes my post.
#44StarmanJuniorPosted 2/2/2013 1:42:49 PM
EarthBound tanking in 1995 was for reasons that are different from today, that I can't speak for Nintendo, but I would assume that they just haven't changed with the times...those possibilities being:
-RPGs weren't nearly as popular yet
-1995 was a time where everybody wanted to see amazing new graphics, despite being horribly gimmick bases like Sega CD, and EarthBound's cartoony style turned people off
-The game was horribly expensive due to the oversized box which contained the player's guide
-Poor advertisement (the commercial mainly was horrendous)
-Ape was basically an unknown company

The times have changed though. RPGs are more popular, graphical innovations have gone to the height where many people don't care anymore and would rather play retro revivals. The game shouldn't be that expensive to port to the VC...yknow...cuz it already exists.

Then you have those people that were involved with translating the other two games...who did it because of their love for the game, not for money or publicity, but because they wanted to share the miraculous experience, that was the Mother series. Nintendo doesn't give two craps about the Mother fanbase, my theory because the game did in fact tank in 1995, but for the above reasons, not because people just didn't like the game.

The Mother fanbase is one of the most creative and outspoken of fanbases, but Nintendo doesn't give two craps about their fans or fanbases. I know it's a dog eat dog world of competitveness, but unfortunately very little thought goes into diverse game series's. That's why we don't get unique games like Mother, Maniac Mansion, The Thousand Year Door, ActRaiser, etc. I understand, but I do not sympathize.

And that's why Nintendo gets none of my money. I'm boycotting them until EarthBound gets the recognition it deserves. I buy retro games and that's it. I'm not going to invest anymore money into mediocre titles like New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Sticker Star, because they just plain don't deserve it.
---
It's been a long time, Buzz Buzz
#45DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 1:59:01 PM
Mirror_Aura posted...
isn't there a huge list of things that are basically copyright infringement in Earthbound that would have to be changed to bring it out of Japan?

Wow, changing data in an SNES game!

What's next on your list of colossal tasks? Writing "hello world" in C?

You....have never played Earthbound. I'll just leave it at that.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#46DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 2:01:11 PM
I wonder if this song would have gotten Nintendo in trouble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m8FisxHJhM
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#47El_DustinoPosted 2/2/2013 2:44:01 PM
DTY3 posted...
I wonder if this song would have gotten Nintendo in trouble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m8FisxHJhM

Not really, it falls under fair use.

But was that the point? Sorry, I just sorta walked back into this topic.
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.
#48StarmanJuniorPosted 2/2/2013 3:51:40 PM
I think potential lawsuits with music "sampling" in video games is stupid. So many games do it, as Roo referenced in his Clan of the Gray Wolf video...including Mega Man sampling from that journey song.

Modern artists get away with it to make mediocre pop songs...why is that?
---
It's been a long time, Buzz Buzz
#49hydra_dragonPosted 2/2/2013 4:17:07 PM
They should make mother 3 for the vc and see how that sells
---
Snitches are everywhere on GameFAQs