Sonic & Mario platformer crossover. Why hasn't it happened yet?

#11omniryuPosted 2/1/2013 7:41:15 AM
game freakozoid posted...
We could see Mario finally go Super Mario.

He did.... in the 80s
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#12nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 8:24:51 AM
selfdeztruction posted...
CPFace posted...
I've heard that they haven't done it because the characters are too different - that Sonic's speed results in a different play style from the Mario games. That's the excuse the companies use anyway.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to play a Mario and Sonic platformer. Do we really want to see Mario turned into one of Sonic's friends?

A Mario galaxy/Sonic 3D would be the only viable way to successfully utilize both characters.

As if anyone would want anything else.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#13Virus66Posted 2/1/2013 8:29:51 AM
I would lobby for a Sonic Generations type game still. Take classic levels from Sonic and Mario games like Green Hill Zone and Level 1-1 and adapt them to both Sonic and Mario style of gameplay. I mean, if the Sonic Team can make Chemical Plant work in both 2D and 3D, I'm pretty sure that both Sonic Team and Nintendo EAD can make this work
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#14Squirt_ShadoPosted 2/1/2013 8:31:04 AM
People have been saying this forever.

- Mario story and Sonic story
- beat both to unlock the final story
- Bowser kills Eggman
- Turns out the real villains are Tails and Luigi, they use the master emerald to fuse into an Eldrich Abomination and threaten the galaxy
- Super Sonic and Super Super Mario team up to beat it
- The dimensions begin to tear, only solution is to reverse time and forget about their adventure
- Sonic and Mario hold each other one last time before saying goodbye forever

That's pretty much how I'd imagine it turning out.
#15CranberryPSOPosted 2/1/2013 8:43:08 AM
I have enjoyed the Olympic series. I'm not sure why you refer to it as stupid, maybe it was too mini-game esque for you?

In any case in an interview I read somewhere they said that the biggest challenge with Mario and Sonic is finding a setting for them to be together in. Sonic's style of games and Mario's style of games are very different and having them together in a platformer would be tough and still have it feel right. The Olympics was chosen as a real world location for them to come together, and honestly I thought it was done very well. What better format for 2 long time rivals to come together and compete in a peaceful and appropriate way?

A platformer would be hard to put them together in and have it feel like it was done right. But one format that I think could really work great for them is the RPG genre. A Mario and Sonic together in an adventure as an RPG I think could really work. You could create an entirely new setting for them, having them face a common threat together in a new world. Mario has already been in several RPG games, and I'm sure Sonic could be adapted to an RPG as well if he hasn't already been in one (I can't think of any RPGs Sonic has been in).

I think they could come together and tell a pretty good story.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#16game freakozoidPosted 2/1/2013 9:15:19 AM
omniryu posted...
game freakozoid posted...
We could see Mario finally go Super Mario.

He did.... in the 80s

Not even really at all in the same way. Not even really what you'd call super and now his bigger size is considered his normal one.