All Games Should Use Off-TV

#11blunderminePosted 2/1/2013 6:52:11 AM
selfdeztruction posted...
blundermine posted...
Off tv play is a huge selling point when deciding on a multiplat game.

If a game supports off tv play,it is similar to getting a console and handheld game for the price of one.

I think it makes devs look really lazy and their games look like rushed cash ins if they don't support an option for gamepad only play.

It is obvious why MH will not have a gamepad only mode,they want ppl to buy the Wii U AND 3DS version instead of having the console and handheld experience from the Wii U version.

Are there any ports that don't run on the gamepad?

TC said all games, which doesn't make sense, not just the ports.

I know TC was talking about all games,I was just also voicing my criticism about third parties under utilizing the GP.

The cave only uses the GP to switch between your three characters by touching their on screen picture,it also lets you switch by pressing Left,Up or Right on the dpad and this is one of the things that reflects really badly on a dev.

Both of my retail ports (Batman AC,BLOPS 2) feature GP only modes,Zombi U could've done it (like Batman AC) and required us to tap a backpack icon and gone into a splitscreen view so that it wouldn't pause the gameplay.

I love Zombi U but I'd still only play on the tv because of how much more immersive it makes that game and it utilizes the GP enough that it doesn't seem like they skimped on anything.

Is it hard making GP only? It seems like something that should be built into the Wii U's framework, not so much on the developer's side.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#12selfdeztructionPosted 2/1/2013 7:04:04 AM
blundermine posted...
blundermine posted...
Off tv play is a huge selling point when deciding on a multiplat game.

If a game supports off tv play,it is similar to getting a console and handheld game for the price of one.

I think it makes devs look really lazy and their games look like rushed cash ins if they don't support an option for gamepad only play.

It is obvious why MH will not have a gamepad only mode,they want ppl to buy the Wii U AND 3DS version instead of having the console and handheld experience from the Wii U version.

Are there any ports that don't run on the gamepad?

TC said all games, which doesn't make sense, not just the ports.

I know TC was talking about all games,I was just also voicing my criticism about third parties under utilizing the GP.

The cave only uses the GP to switch between your three characters by touching their on screen picture,it also lets you switch by pressing Left,Up or Right on the dpad and this is one of the things that reflects really badly on a dev.

Both of my retail ports (Batman AC,BLOPS 2) feature GP only modes,Zombi U could've done it (like Batman AC) and required us to tap a backpack icon and gone into a splitscreen view so that it wouldn't pause the gameplay.

I love Zombi U but I'd still only play on the tv because of how much more immersive it makes that game and it utilizes the GP enough that it doesn't seem like they skimped on anything.

Is it hard making GP only? It seems like something that should be built into the Wii U's framework, not so much on the developer's side.

It is up to the devs because an option made by Nintendo wouldn't now how to implement the gameplay to only use the GP.

It would really mess up games like Zombi U unless the devs themselves found an actual option that worked.

It'd be easier if the GP had an noninteractive screen and they could just easily implement a remote play feature but the Wii U is more like a really big DS and it would be impossible for Nintendo to make all the games playable on a single screen.
---
XBL / PSN (PS3 & vita) / Wii-U / Skype - selfdeztruction
Wii FC (HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DS XL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore
#13Dark_Link92Posted 2/1/2013 7:47:09 AM
Jackal posted...
Wasn't Nintendo attacked in the UK because this feature was misleading? That it's actually a developer option and not the norm?

Yup. The whole advert has literally been taken entirely of the air and Nintendo seem to be taking their time making a new one. Literally the only advertising for the Wii U of any kind I've seen over here is that you can now stream LoveFilm to your Wii or WIi U.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#14blunderminePosted 2/1/2013 8:10:04 AM
It is up to the devs because an option made by Nintendo wouldn't now how to implement the gameplay to only use the GP.

It would really mess up games like Zombi U unless the devs themselves found an actual option that worked.

It'd be easier if the GP had an noninteractive screen and they could just easily implement a remote play feature but the Wii U is more like a really big DS and it would be impossible for Nintendo to make all the games playable on a single screen.

Ya I know it wouldn't work for a lot of games. I just seems like something that would be built into the framework of the Wii U that the developed would either enable or disable depending on the game.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#15SSJ4CHRISPosted 2/3/2013 8:57:24 AM
So playing a game on the gamepad with split screen menus is better than having the game on tv and the HUD/menu on the gamepad?

Nintendo fans were loving not having to pause the game for menus before launch, now they are mad because they can't play console games on a 7" screen with pausing and split screen menus?

When people were being critical of the Gamepad, fanboys jumped to defend menus on the gamepad. Now they want to play the all the Wii U games exactly like last gen, except always on a mini sub-HD screen?
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#16LinktoDrinkPosted 2/3/2013 10:04:57 AM
If you want all games to have off tv play, you should have bought a handheld. It would truly be a tragedy if the potential of Wii U is ruined because Nintendo got all three requests from kids to make every game playable on the Gamepad only. It really just destroys all the amazing things that are only possible on this console.
#17GimeaPosted 2/3/2013 10:14:30 AM
because everyone wants to let their nice HD TV unused and play on a low res 6 inch screen instead
---
The new Minecraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKlNskaRPU
#18JackalPosted 2/3/2013 10:17:33 AM
Gimea posted...
because everyone wants to let their nice HD TV unused and play on a low res 6 inch screen instead

That was Nintendos marketing point. That you would be able to play games on the GP while others watch the TV. It's one of the reasons that some people wanted it.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak