There's a reason graphics in games like Uncharted or FFXIII look better

#1digiblasterPosted 2/1/2013 6:21:29 AM
Games like those two mentioned are, for the most part, very linear. This means that a lot of the areas in the game aren't accessible, and so high detail is only necessary for smaller parts of the game world. I'm not saying that this is always the case; when FFXIII opens up, the areas become far more expansive, and it still looks beautiful. Still, since the other two consoles are somewhat limited in terms of what they can do, 'tricks' like that are utilised to make the game appear better than the console should technically be able to handle.

And that's what makes 'X' so appealing. I haven't actually played Xenoblade yet, but it's my understanding that if you can see something, you can probably get to it. I can only assume, but I'd imagine it's similar with 'X'. The game itself looks brilliant, but if we can get anywhere in that world, which is much more expansive than most of the games I've played on current-gen consoles, then it's much more technically impressive than it seems.
#2STE573Posted 2/1/2013 6:26:41 AM
What is the point of this topic? Like what do you want to know?
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#3ChipChippersonPosted 2/1/2013 6:28:53 AM
That's what people always neglect to mention. Yea God of War or Uncharted may look great but look how bloody linear they are. Good luck moving outside the corridor you're confined to.

That's why games like Assassins Creed or even this X impress me more: great graphics on top of an amazing sense of scale. That's a lot harder to do than in games where you don't leave a hallway.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#4OtakuGameraPosted 2/1/2013 6:34:09 AM
That's what people always neglect to mention. Yea God of War or Uncharted may look great but look how bloody linear they are. Good luck moving outside the corridor you're confined to.

That's why games like Assassins Creed or even this X impress me more: great graphics on top of an amazing sense of scale. That's a lot harder to do than in games where you don't leave a hallway.

god of war i can understand since the camera is stuck at certain angles, but uncharted is different, you can make games that has a huge scale but it doesnt process every single thing, at the end of the day you're still looking at what you can view in front of the screen while everything else is not rendered or process until you move your camera to them, so uncharted being able to pull off such amazing graphics has nothing to do with it being linear.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#5Zato InfinitePosted 2/1/2013 6:40:19 AM
TC: You feel a little better now after getting that off your chest? Sounds like you lost a lot of sleep because of this.
#6ish0turfac3Posted 2/1/2013 6:52:21 AM
Or, how about that the devs have had years to perfect the usage of hardware on a system.
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3
\\//ulcan4life
#7nonexistingheroPosted 2/1/2013 6:54:48 AM
X looks better than FFXIII in every way and has a massive world to explore...
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#8DarkShadowRagePosted 2/1/2013 7:16:51 AM(edited)
are you kidding me? FF13 doesn't look that amazing, infact quite a lot of the textures in the game are pretty damn bland, the lighting is nice however.

Uncharted does look great(I have all 3 of them) but seriously.
---
A big time Samus fan and Metroid fan |I'm probably the biggest Samus fan you'll ever meet.Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkShadowRage2
#9GLDanzegoPosted 2/1/2013 8:01:50 AM
OtakuGamera posted...

god of war i can understand since the camera is stuck at certain angles, but uncharted is different, you can make games that has a huge scale but it doesnt process every single thing, at the end of the day you're still looking at what you can view in front of the screen while everything else is not rendered or process until you move your camera to them, so uncharted being able to pull off such amazing graphics has nothing to do with it being linear.

Sure it does. Perhaps not in the same exact way it works in God of War, but you're still limited in how far you can deviate from the main path (that being VERY limited). By doing so, he developers don't have to concentrate on making everything beyond where you can go anything but background graphics.

Additionally, there are other tricks that developers use such as not rendering anything that the camera can't see and, a big one in Uncharted, the ever annoying lower than standard res textures of anything that's not within a few feet of the main character (anyone with a working pair of eyes should be able to pick up on this one). That's not to say Uncharted looks bad or anything, but the fact that the player is confined to a certain path most of the time does have a LOT to do with how good it looks.

Certainly, you're not actually trying to suggest that if Naughty Dog opened the environments way up like GTA or even Xenoblade that Uncharted would still look like it does.....right?
#10OtakuGameraPosted 2/1/2013 8:18:33 AM
Sure it does. Perhaps not in the same exact way it works in God of War, but you're still limited in how far you can deviate from the main path (that being VERY limited). By doing so, he developers don't have to concentrate on making everything beyond where you can go anything but background graphics.

that's true, but does it happen in uncharted? no. you do have sprawling city with tons of civilians like the desert city in uncharted.

Additionally, there are other tricks that developers use such as not rendering anything that the camera can't see and, a big one in Uncharted, the ever annoying lower than standard res textures of anything that's not within a few feet of the main character (anyone with a working pair of eyes should be able to pick up on this one). That's not to say Uncharted looks bad or anything, but the fact that the player is confined to a certain path most of the time does have a LOT to do with how good it looks.

that technique is not limited to uncharted, tons of games does this whether open world or not.

Certainly, you're not actually trying to suggest that if Naughty Dog opened the environments way up like GTA or even Xenoblade that Uncharted would still look like it does.....right?

i am and it will
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg